[comp.sys.next] The NeXT laser

kthompso@acs.ucalgary.ca (Kelly Thompson) (06/16/91)

I only have access to one NeXT laser printer here on campus, and the output
is streaky. Is this a common problem. It didn't really live up to my
expectations of what 400dpi output should look like.
I think it was one of the first ones made, so maybe it's just its age
showing.  Any comments?

Kelly

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/16/91)

In article <1991Jun15.191851.22533@acs.ucalgary.ca> kthompso@acs.ucalgary.ca
(Kelly Thompson) writes:
> I only have access to one NeXT laser printer here on campus, and the output
> is streaky. Is this a common problem. It didn't really live up to my
> expectations of what 400dpi output should look like.
> I think it was one of the first ones made, so maybe it's just its age
> showing.  Any comments?

   No, if your school is anything like Cornell, then what they did was use
recycled toner cartridges. This is a no-no.
   The reasons why Cornell do it are:
       Official:  It's cheaper.
       Un-official but rumoured: It's so that people don't use the NeXTlasers
                                 as resume printers (or thesis printers, etc.)

   I think that both are true, but that's my own reasoning.
   NeXTlasers using original toner almost never streak (in my humble
experience).

   - Jiro Nakamura
     jiro@shaman.com

ps. I go to Cornell, if you're wondering.
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 256-5125 VOICE

jchin@wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun16.161125.4158@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
... <stuff deleted>

>   No, if your school is anything like Cornell, then what they did was use
>recycled toner cartridges. This is a no-no.

... <stuff deleted>

>   - Jiro Nakamura
>     jiro@shaman.com

I use re-cycled toner cartridge (manufactured by a local company) with
special "super-black" graphic toner and a specially coated "super" drum
which can be recharged up to 10 times and it has NO streaking and is
actually much blacker than the original cartridge. There are lots of simply
recharged tone cartridge out there that are real junk and can damage your
printer, but there are also many remanufactured ones that are really well
done. Shop around ...

:-) Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

--
Joseph Chin                         Wordcraft Systems Corporation
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca           201-434 West 12th Avenue

wjabi@srvr1 (wassim jabi) (06/18/91)

>    No, if your school is anything like Cornell, then what they did was use
> recycled toner cartridges. This is a no-no.
>    The reasons why Cornell do it are:
>        Official:  It's cheaper.
>        Un-official but rumoured: It's so that people don't use the NeXTlasers
>                                  as resume printers (or thesis printers, etc.)
>
>    I think that both are true, but that's my own reasoning.
>    NeXTlasers using original toner almost never streak (in my humble
> experience).
>

>    - Jiro Nakamura
>      jiro@shaman.com
>
> ps. I go to Cornell, if you're wondering.
> --
> Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
> Shaman Consulting			(607) 256-5125 VOICE
> "Bring your dead, dying shamans here!"	(607) 277-1440 FAX/Data

We have a NeXT Laser Printer in lab and it works just perfect. No streaking
or anything. However, it is very lightly used (three to four pages a day).

--
- Wassim M. Jabi                   -
- Doctoral Program in Architecture -

ckminer@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Chris Miner) (06/18/91)

>    No, if your school is anything like Cornell, then what they did was use
> recycled toner cartridges. This is a no-no.
>    - Jiro Nakamura
> ps. I go to Cornell, if you're wondering.

	It is not a "no-no" to use recycled toner cartridges.  At
Colorado State,  all the cartridges are refilled.  We use Hp printers,
and any streaking is corrected by cleaning the hot roller and corona
wires. (carefull, the roller should be very warm)  Please consider
using recycled carts.  This will create the market needed to support
their continued reuse.

	Chris Miner

SAMcinty@exua.exeter.ac.uk (Scott McIntyre) (06/19/91)

What happens after the 300,000 copies of the "duty life" are made?

Does it explode?

299,996 to go.

Scott

--
mcintyre@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk			Scott A. McIntyre
SAMcinty@uk.ac.exeter.exua			Cornwall House

petrilli@wookumz.unknown (Chris Petrilli) (06/25/91)

Scott McIntyre writes:

   What happens after the 300,000 copies of the "duty life" are made?
   Does it explode?

I have used other laser printers based on the Canon engine, and they
are good for ALOT more than 300K copies.  The LaserWriters around here
have 500K+ on them, and though they are beginning to show signs of
wear.  I wouldn't worry to much... 300K copies is ALOT.

   299,996 to go.

More fun to come!  It's the cartridges that are so expensive.

Chris