[comp.sys.next] incoming mail not working with SLIP

zazula@soliton.uucp (Ralph Zazula) (06/22/91)

Well, sometimes mail comes in and gets delivered fine. Other times
it does not.  Does anyone have incoming/outgoing mail working
smoothly
with SLIP on thier machine?  I'd really like to get this pinned down.
A friend of mine says that the version of "sendmail" that is on the
NeXT is broken...  It seems to work sometimes, however...

Could someone detail the steps needed to get mail working reliably?

So far, the only thing I've done is add a /etc/resolv.conf file
that has my domain and a few nameserver machines listed.  I'm running
a NetInfo network with one machine (both / and .).

Thanks,
Ralph

A dedicated SLIP connection is no different from any other IP
technology.  Dialup SLIP is another matter, since Internet mail
delivery really wants continuous availability.  For *outgoing*
mail, the link will be set up on demand, so there's no problem
here.  For *incoming* mail, normally the sender-SMTP will
attempt to connect to your IP address (which will work if your
link is up, and fail if it's down), and reschedule failed
deliveries for a later time.  If the link is down every time a
delivery's attempted, the mail will be bounced as undeliverable.

The problem is simply that Dialup SLIP is generally unsuitable
for server use; there's no way for incoming traffic to trigger a
link up.  This pretty much means that any system with a Dialup
SLIP connection should have an MX record to some site that *will*
be available to accept mail.  The easiest thing to do at that
point is probably to shove it into a UUCP queue, and have your
machine poll for mail.  (This doesn't necessarily mean UUCP-g;
a port 540 approach would work too.)  Note that if you have
multiple MX records in order to receive mail "directly" if
possible, incoming mail will arrive out-of-sequence.

					-=EPS=-

verket@venice.SEDD.TRW.COM (Paul Verket) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun21.182242.835@arizona.edu> zazula@soliton.uucp (Ralph Zazula) writes:
>Well, sometimes mail comes in and gets delivered fine. Other times
>it does not.  Does anyone have incoming/outgoing mail working
>smoothly
>with SLIP on thier machine?  I'd really like to get this pinned down.
>A friend of mine says that the version of "sendmail" that is on the
>NeXT is broken...  It seems to work sometimes, however...

I'm assuming that you're using a dialup slip connection that isn't up
all the time. I'm in that situation and I changed sendmail.cf so my
mail's "from" address is a (work) machine that _is_ on the net. I then
either read replies at work or bounce the mail home while the slip connection
is up.

Let me know if you'd like to see my sendmail.cf file (and whether you
can take nextmail)

Paul Verket (NeXTmail)