[comp.sys.next] UK Memory prices

nigelm@ohm.york.ac.uk (Nigel Metheringham) (06/19/91)

Has anyone any good suggestions as to cheap sources of memory within
the UK?

I am after 4MB * 8 SIMMs with 80 or 100ns access times, similar to
those used in the Mac II series (although I actually want them for a
NeXT).

Are there any cheap sources in the UK, or is it cheaper to order by
credit card from the US?

	Nigel.

--
# Nigel Metheringham   # (NeXT) EMail: nigelm@ohm.york.ac.uk #
# System Administrator #######  Phone: +44 904 432374        #

gtoal@tardis.cs.ed.ac.uk (Graham Toal) (06/21/91)

:
:I am after 4MB * 8 SIMMs with 80 or 100ns access times, similar to
:those used in the Mac II series (although I actually want them for a
:NeXT).
:
:Are there any cheap sources in the UK, or is it cheaper to order by
:credit card from the US?
:
:	Nigel.
:
I get stuff like this by mail order from germany actually; just as cheap
and only UK Vat to pay, not extra import duty.

You might also try phoning up SEMI ICS Ltd on 0932 241 866.  They
send me a price list yesterday with no prices on it!  I'd like to
see how much they charge nowadays.  (years back, when I was in the
BBC Micro ram board business, I used to haggle reasonably good prices
out of them.  They *might* not be too keen on one-offs though...)

scott@cs.hw.ac.uk (Scott Telford) (06/25/91)

In article <6188@tardis.cs.ed.ac.uk> gtoal@tardis.cs.ed.ac.uk (Graham
Toal) writes:
>You might also try phoning up SEMI ICS Ltd on 0932 241 866.  They
>send me a price list yesterday with no prices on it!  I'd like to
>see how much they charge nowadays.  (years back, when I was in the
>BBC Micro ram board business, I used to haggle reasonably good prices
>out of them.  They *might* not be too keen on one-offs though...)

They advertise in the Micromart section of "Personal Computer World".
Their prices seem to be about as low as you'll get. I bought a couple of
1Mb SIMMS from them a month or two ago.

| Scott Telford, Dept of Computer Science,               scott@cs.hw.ac.uk    |
| Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh, UK.                 scott%hwcs@ukc.uucp  |
|_____ "Expect the unexpected." (The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) ______|