[comp.sys.next] I'm looking for SCSI info.

robert@nextoid.UUCP (Robert Patrick Thille) (06/24/91)

From: robert%nextoid@hub.ucsb.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
Subject: I'm looking for SCSI info.

Since I'm interested in finding as much out about why my scanner
doesn't work, and how to fix it, I'm asking for information about
SCSI in general and SCSI scanners in particular.

1)  What do people recommend for a book on SCSI.  I picked some out
of the card catalog, but trying to choose one without seeing them is
difficult.

1. American National Standards Institute.
     American national standard for information systems : small
computer system interface (SCSI) / Secretariat, Computer and Business
Equipment
   Manufacturers Association ; approved June 23, 1986, American

2. United States. National Bureau of Standards.
     Small computer system interface (SCSI).  Gaithersburg,
MD : U.S. Dept. of Commerce/National Bureau of Standards
; Springfield, VA : For sale by the National Technical
Information Service, 1987.

3. UNIX System V/386, release 4 : programmer's guide, SCSI driver
interface.

4. Fujitsu Microelectronics.
     Fast track to SCSI : a product guide / Fujitsu Microelectronics.

Also, does someone have the SCSI spec on magnetic media?  Would you
be willing to copy it onto disk if I sent them and a SASE to you?

Any info on SCSI scanners in particular, the command set, data
transfer, etc.  would be great.

Thanks very much.

Please Email, News comes to me by mail and takes awhile...

Robert

Robert Thille                NeXT Guru......    NeXTMail
robert%nextoid@hub.ucsb.edu  NeXT Guru??????    OK At All
robert@nextoid.uucp (SLOW!)  NeXT Guru!!!!!!    E-Mail
14053 Foothill Rd. CA 93060  Well, maybe :-)    Addresses

Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) (06/25/91)

robert@nextoid.UUCP (Robert Patrick Thille) writes:

>From: robert%nextoid@hub.ucsb.edu
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
>Subject: I'm looking for SCSI info.

>Since I'm interested in finding as much out about why my scanner
>doesn't work, and how to fix it, I'm asking for information about
>SCSI in general and SCSI scanners in particular.

>1)  What do people recommend for a book on SCSI.  I picked some out
>of the card catalog, but trying to choose one without seeing them is
>difficult.

>1. American National Standards Institute.
>     American national standard for information systems : small
>computer system interface (SCSI) / Secretariat, Computer and Business
>Equipment
>   Manufacturers Association ; approved June 23, 1986, American

>2. United States. National Bureau of Standards.
>     Small computer system interface (SCSI).  Gaithersburg,
>MD : U.S. Dept. of Commerce/National Bureau of Standards
>; Springfield, VA : For sale by the National Technical
>Information Service, 1987.

>3. UNIX System V/386, release 4 : programmer's guide, SCSI driver
>interface.

>4. Fujitsu Microelectronics.
>     Fast track to SCSI : a product guide / Fujitsu Microelectronics.

>Also, does someone have the SCSI spec on magnetic media?  Would you
>be willing to copy it onto disk if I sent them and a SASE to you?

>Any info on SCSI scanners in particular, the command set, data
>transfer, etc.  would be great.

>Thanks very much.

>Please Email, News comes to me by mail and takes awhile...

>Robert

>Robert Thille                NeXT Guru......    NeXTMail
>robert%nextoid@hub.ucsb.edu  NeXT Guru??????    OK At All
>robert@nextoid.uucp (SLOW!)  NeXT Guru!!!!!!    E-Mail
>14053 Foothill Rd. CA 93060  Well, maybe :-)    Addresses

I've seen the scsi info on either sonata or purdue... (I have it at
home, but still cannot remember...) - If you don't find it, mail me.
PS: It's long. really.

			Gerhard.
--

+---------------------------< principiis obsta! >---------------------------+
| Gerhard Moeller, Teichstrasse 12, 2900 Oldenburg (FRG)    [Geb. 02/21/68] |

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/25/91)

In article <9106240614.AA02290@.nextoid.> robert@nextoid.UUCP (Robert Patrick
Thille) writes:
> Since I'm interested in finding as much out about why my scanner
> doesn't work, and how to fix it, I'm asking for information about
> SCSI in general and SCSI scanners in particular.

Robert -
	   The ANSI manual will give the full specs for SCSI. I have it
sitting in front of me right now (costed a whole $80, if I remember
correctly....). But it does *not* specify scanner SCSI opcodes since
scanners were *not* considered when it was made. Things may have
changed for SCSI II, I'm not sure.
   The SCSI I manual is in the public archive sites too. It is not
formatted too nicely. I will be publishing a power-user version of
SCSIInquirer called SCSICommander in a couple of months. This may
be a commerical product if I find a vendor.... But it will allow
very low-level control of the SCSI bus along with a full online manual.
This is not for release yet, so I don't know why I'm yabbing
aobut it. :-)
   If you want to fool around with SCSI, grab my SCSIInquirer package
from the FTP sites and look at the source code for it. It should
give you some ideas of what to do. My SCSI.m class should give you
enough to work on.
   If you are using a Canon scanner, then please contact me further since
I can put you in touch with the people who handle developer requests
for it.

    - jiro nakamura
      jiro@shaman.com

--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			+1 607 277-1440 Voice/Fax/Data

reynolds@montana.portal.com (Jack Reynolds) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.033317.7161@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura)
writes:
> In article <9106240614.AA02290@.nextoid.> robert@nextoid.UUCP (Robert Patrick
> Thille) writes:
> > Since I'm interested in finding as much out about why my scanner
> > doesn't work, and how to fix it, I'm asking for information about
> > SCSI in general and SCSI scanners in particular.
>
> Robert -
> 	   The ANSI manual will give the full specs for SCSI. I have it
> sitting in front of me right now (costed a whole $80, if I remember
> correctly....). But it does *not* specify scanner SCSI opcodes since
> scanners were *not* considered when it was made. Things may have
> changed for SCSI II, I'm not sure.
>    The SCSI I manual is in the public archive sites too. It is not
> formatted too nicely. I will be publishing a power-user version of
> SCSIInquirer called SCSICommander in a couple of months. This may
> be a commerical product if I find a vendor.... But it will allow
> very low-level control of the SCSI bus along with a full online manual.
> This is not for release yet, so I don't know why I'm yabbing
> aobut it. :-)
>    If you want to fool around with SCSI, grab my SCSIInquirer package
> from the FTP sites and look at the source code for it. It should
> give you some ideas of what to do. My SCSI.m class should give you
> enough to work on.
>    If you are using a Canon scanner, then please contact me further since
> I can put you in touch with the people who handle developer requests
> for it.

There is a much easier way to integrate scanners into your applications on
NeXT.  HSD provides a free toolkit which has all the hooks to SCSI already
handled.  In addition, the toolkit supports 2,400 dpi line art interpolation,
gray spectrum enhancement, 24 bit color, multiple active scanners, multiple
active scan windows, batch mode scanning, sheet feeders, as well as the regular
things like brightness, contrast and threshold.

If you would like a copy, I can send it to you on NeXTMail.  Otherwise, send me
a self addressed stamped envelope with a diskette.

Oh, by the way, the toolkit only supports HSD scanners.

Jack Reynolds, VP Sales
U.S. Snail: HSD Microcomputer US Inc.
            1350 Pear Ave., Suite C
            Mountain View, CA  94043