[comp.sys.next] uucp command still doesn't work?

tjb@IceCube.unh.edu (Thomas J. Baker) (06/12/91)

Does anyone know if the uucp command is supposed to work in 2.1 or is it still
broken?  uusend works but not uucp.  When I try to do a uucp I always get the
following:

IceCube.unh.edu> uucp * mozz\!~
permission denied /local/users/tjb/OutGoing/Sound05.ps.Z
permission denied /local/users/tjb/OutGoing/Sound04.ps.Z
permission denied /local/users/tjb/OutGoing/Sound03.ps.Z
permission denied /local/users/tjb/OutGoing/Sound02.ps.Z
permission denied /local/users/tjb/OutGoing/Sound01.ps.Z
permission denied /local/users/tjb/OutGoing/Sound07.ps.Z
permission denied /local/users/tjb/OutGoing/Sound06.ps.Z
IceCube.unh.edu> ls -l
total 510
-rw-r--r--  1 tjb        56015 Jun 11 21:34 Sound01.ps.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 tjb        51322 Jun 11 21:37 Sound02.ps.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 tjb       216094 Jun 11 21:37 Sound03.ps.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 tjb        79855 Jun 11 21:36 Sound04.ps.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 tjb        39669 Jun 11 21:36 Sound05.ps.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 tjb        46415 Jun 11 21:36 Sound06.ps.Z
-rw-r--r--  1 tjb        17067 Jun 11 21:35 Sound07.ps.Z
IceCube.unh.edu> cd /usr/spool/uucp

I know this was known to be broken under 1.0 but hoped it would be fixed under
2.1.

Thanks for any help,

tjb
| Thomas Baker                           Voice: (603) 743-4987      |
| P.O. Box 213                                                      |
| Durham, NH 03824           Internet/NeXTmail: tjb@IceCube.unh.edu |

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun12.115800.1181@IceCube.unh.edu> tjb@IceCube.unh.edu  (Thomas
J. Baker) writes:

> Does anyone know if the uucp command is supposed to work in 2.1 or is it
> still broken?  uusend works but not uucp.  When I try to do a uucp
> I always get the following:

   I never got it to work under any system (currently running 2.1).
   When I feel up to it (timewise), I'll try porting the rest
of the GNU uucp stuff. (Right now, I only have gnuuq working, see earlier
posting). I don't know why it doesn't work. Aid me in e-mail to bug_next@
next.com. If we get enough people (especially developers) e-mailing about
this problem, they may actually do something about it.

     - Jiro Nakamura
       jiro@shaman.com

--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 256-5125 VOICE

bill@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu (Bill Roth) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun13.040629.1540@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>In article <1991Jun12.115800.1181@IceCube.unh.edu> tjb@IceCube.unh.edu  (Thomas
>J. Baker) writes:
>>
>> Does anyone know if the uucp command is supposed to work in 2.1 or is it
>> still broken?  uusend works but not uucp.  When I try to do a uucp
>> I always get the following:
>>

>   I never got it to work under any system (currently running 2.1).
>   When I feel up to it (timewise), I'll try porting the rest
>of the GNU uucp stuff. (Right now, I only have gnuuq working, see earlier
>posting). I don't know why it doesn't work. Aid me in e-mail to bug_next@
>next.com. If we get enough people (especially developers) e-mailing about
>this problem, they may actually do something about it.
>

>     - Jiro Nakamura
Maybe I don't understand the problem, but UUCP DOES WORK on my machine.
To transfer a file to the DECstation at the Lab where I work, I type:
uucp file pslu1\!\~file

and the file is transfered.

I did have some trouble setting it up; try fooling with the permissions
on uucppublic, and make sure you have execute privs to uucp and related dirs.

Bill Roth,  University of Wisconsin Physical Sciences Laboratory
Internet:bill@psl.wisc.edu NeXTMAIL:roth@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu /608-873-6651

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (06/13/91)

UUCP works just fine for me.  Perhaps the permissions on the directories are
not set correctly? Also, look at the directories being created in
/usr/spool/uucp to make sure they get the correct names; as I recall there
was a problem with having your local hostname have '.' characters in it.

louie

cxjdb@dcatla.uucp (06/18/91)

	I brought up uucp on three NeXT systems so far.  I have had NO trouble.
This stuff about it never working is suspect.  Each time I tried to get
uucp working it came up within half an hour and has worked flawlessly every
since.  I am using a Telebit T-100 modem that spoofs uucp to get fantastic
throughput (11Kbaud).  I mad the 2 line change to the sendmail.cf file to
specify that I prefer uucp as the primary mailer and specify the name of
my forwarding host.  Other than that the uucp sub-system came up with
no trouble.

	What problem are you having?  Perhaps I could help?  Give me
a call at (404)339-4776 and I will do what I can.  uucp should come up
very easily no the NeXT.  It has for me.

	-jon bennett
	mail to jon@dkstar.UUCP
	NeXT Mail gladly accepted

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/21/91)

Folks -
   Concerning the "uucp" command problem, Alan Marcum @ NeXT e-mail me with
some more information, I e-mail him back and we cleared it up. There is
no bug, repeat NO BUG in the uucp command (I am not talking about uucp,
the communication protocol, BTW, just the plain unix uucp command).
   The problem lies in the USERFILE. You have to make it so that the user
who is executing UUCP has access to the appropriate directory that they
want to uucp. Basically put, it means having either:
   , /
or
   jiro, /

so that the user can uucp any file in the directory tree. Of course,
paranoid sites would want to do:
    jiro, /Users/jiro
or something more restrictive. Please see the man pages for more
detail.

I was real puzzled by this one -- the error message "permission denied"
makes sense now, but didn't when I didn't know to look at USERFILE.
Sigh, oh well....

   - Jiro Nakamura
     jiro@shaman.com
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			+1 607 277-1440 Voice/Fax/Data

wampner@acme.ucf.edu (Eric Wampner) (06/26/91)

In article <3817.285dbfa1@dcatla.uucp> cxjdb@dcatla.uucp writes:

>	I brought up uucp on three NeXT systems so far.  I have had NO trouble.
>This stuff about it never working is suspect.  Each time I tried to get

I hate to me-too, but me-too, brought up a system from scratch,
( was actually doing 2 at the same time, an Amiga UUCP and a NeXT ),
got it right the first time. Dislaimer, I have 2.0 and my system
is dial in only, and I fought a Xenix system once.

Eric Wampner
wampner@next1.acme.ucf.edu
grebble!root@next3.acme.ucf.edu (may bounce, sendmail.cf is shaky)