[comp.sys.next] printer fuse blows way too often

dpaulso@k30b.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Paulson) (06/25/91)

In the less than 10 months since I've had my NeXT, I've had the
printer fuse blow *seven* times. I can replace the fuse, but this is
getting to be a real hassle.  So...

1. Have any other NeXT folk experienced similar problems?

2. I could modify the rc script to refrain from starting the np
daemon.  Likewise, I could put a wrapper around /etc/shutdown to do an
"nppower off".  Do you think either of these would help?

3. I'm not sure whether the fuse blows upon power on or power off. Aside
from the above two kludges, can you think of a good way to tell?

4. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

/dave
--
Dave Paulson            dpaulso@relay.nswc.navy.mil (work)
Synetics/NAVSWC         talos!SandBox!dave@uunet.uu.net (home,NeXTmail)

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (06/25/91)

Fuses usually blow from power-surges, i.e., when starting up a device
and its impedance is low; I would contact NeXT to check if your
printer is not drawing TOO much current (leaky capcitor, or some
jammed mecahnical part which slows down the motor, or what have you; I
was an electrical engineer 40 years ago ...).
Good luck,

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun24.182301.20179@relay.nswc.navy.mil>
dpaulso@k30b.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Paulson) writes:
> In the less than 10 months since I've had my NeXT, I've had the
> printer fuse blow *seven* times. I can replace the fuse, but this is
> getting to be a real hassle.  So...

  I'd take your printer to the nearest NeXTshop you have. It shouldn't
be blowing *so* often. Do you have dirty power lines in your area?
If so, you might want to put a line conditioner or filter.....

   - jiro nakamura
     jiro@shaman.com

--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			+1 607 277-1440 Voice/Fax/Data

Q3885@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Phillip M Immordino) (06/25/91)

In article <HARDY.91Jun24201627@golem.ps.uci.edu>, hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:

>Fuses usually blow from power-surges, i.e., when starting up a device
>and its impedance is low; I would contact NeXT to check if your
>printer is not drawing TOO much current (leaky capcitor, or some
>jammed mecahnical part which slows down the motor, or what have you; I
>was an electrical engineer 40 years ago ...).

    Try going to your nearest NeXT service facilty.  I once had a NeXT
  printer that dis the same thing.  NeXT had me replace the DC power supply.
  I was told that some of the original powers supplies are susceptible to
  power surges.

jonb (Jon Buffington) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun24.182301.20179@relay.nswc.navy.mil>
dpaulso@k30b.nswc.navy.mil (Dave Paulson) writes:
> In the less than 10 months since I've had my NeXT, I've had the
> printer fuse blow *seven* times. I can replace the fuse, but this is
> getting to be a real hassle.  So...

I just purchased a printer with a blown fuse from Businessland's firesale. I
called NeXT and they had Motorola replace the power supply on-site. The service
manager at NeXT said that old power supplies were sensitive to unreliable power
sources and the new power supplies were 10x more robust.

BTW: I was _extremely_ pleased with NeXT's response to my problem after feeling
'stuck' by Businessland. Also, a colleague (w/ no backup) had disk problems and
a local NeXT support rep. came out and personally reloaded the OS onto the sick
machine. I have gotten consistently the best support from NeXT compared to the
many computer hardware vendors I have dealt with in the past 12 years. Kudos!

--
Jon Buffington						Atlanta, GA
UUCP: uunet!gothos!jonb					NeXTMail...