[comp.sys.next] sendmail :include: directive

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (06/12/91)

Anybody know if the sendmail :include: directive works in NeXTstep 2.1?  Or,
if not, anybody know how to fix this, by, say, getting source from somewhere
else?  The problem is probably a NetInfo conflict, so that may not work very
well.

I am reluctant to try it myself and kill mail for the time being on my machine.
------
Mike Matthews, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (NeXT)/matthews@umdd (bitnet)
------
Those who can, do.  Those who can't, simulate.

grd@cmn9 (glen diener) (06/12/91)

In article <8710@umd5.umd.edu> matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews)
writes:
> Anybody know if the sendmail :include: directive works in NeXTstep 2.1?  Or,
> if not, anybody know how to fix this, by, say, getting source from somewhere
> else?  The problem is probably a NetInfo conflict, so that may not work very
> well.
>
> I am reluctant to try it myself and kill mail for the time being on my
machine.
> ------
> Mike Matthews, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (NeXT)/matthews@umdd (bitnet)
> ------
> Those who can, do.  Those who can't, simulate.

Works just fine.  In some previous release, however, I found I
had to add an extra member, (generally "nobody"), to the
netinfo entry after the  :include:/filepath.  Unfortunately, can't
remember why...as I recall, the last member of the mailing
list was getting dropped without this.  I have found, however,
that under 2.0, if an address in the mailing list include file
is stale, sendmail will die at that point, and refuses to
distribute the mail to the rest of the recipients in the list.
Anyone else have this problem?

-glen
grd@ccrma.stanford.edu

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (06/13/91)

Mike Matthews writes
> Anybody know if the sendmail :include: directive works in NeXTstep 2.1?  Or,
> if not, anybody know how to fix this, by, say, getting source from somewhere
> else?

It works fine.  Here's an excerpt from my /etc/sendmail/aliases file:

TouchType_Users: :include:/home/glenn/.touchtypeusers

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

evenson@jabberwock.milton.u.washington.edu (Mark Evenson) (06/27/91)

My use of aliases (in /usr/lib/aliases) seems to have broken under 2.0--it
worked fine for a couple days, and now when the newalias comman builds, it
doesn't change the NetInfo database at all.  Any ideas?  Common experiences
so we can figure out what is going on?

		evenson@hitl.vrnet.washington.edu