[comp.sys.next] MS-DOS 5.0 and NeXTStep

TIMBUCK@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (Timothy Buck) (06/22/91)

I've discovered something.  NeXTStep's utilities that read MS-DOS disks
apparently don't work very well with DOS 5.0.  I wrote some files to a
floppy using DOS 5.0, then carried the floppy over to the NeXT, which
reported the floppy as blank!  I wrote a small file to this floppy while
it was still mounted in the NeXT, then ejected it and carried it back
over to the DOS 5.0 PC.  I did a "dir a:" and all the files were there,
including the new one I had written to the floppy on the NeXT.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

Anyone at NeXT care to comment?

 Timothy Buck
      timbuck@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu (preferred), jbuck@vtssi.vt.edu,
  OR  Tim.Buck@bbs.oit.unc.edu

tomt%gtenext1.uucp@gte.com (Tom Tucker) (06/27/91)

In article <9106211833.AA08881@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> TIMBUCK@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
(Timothy Buck) writes:
> I've discovered something.  NeXTStep's utilities that read MS-DOS disks
> apparently don't work very well with DOS 5.0.  I wrote some files to a
> floppy using DOS 5.0, then carried the floppy over to the NeXT, which
> reported the floppy as blank!  I wrote a small file to this floppy while
> it was still mounted in the NeXT, then ejected it and carried it back
> over to the DOS 5.0 PC.  I did a "dir a:" and all the files were there,
> including the new one I had written to the floppy on the NeXT.

I experienced a similar problem with a floppy that had been formatted under an
earlier DOS release. I did a DOS 5.0 format copied files to the diskette and
was then able to see them on the NeXT. I have yet to verify this as the
problem/solution because immediately afterwards I trashed my PEECEE floppy
drive (sigh).

--
Tom Tucker                              tomt%gtenext1.uucp@gte.com (NeXTMail)
Systems Analyst, Systems Architecture   GTE Directories Corp.