[comp.sys.next] Smalltalk on the NeXT?

dcarlson@misvax.mis.arizona.edu (Dave Carlson) (06/27/91)

Does anyone know if ParcPlace has ported Smalltalk-80 / Objectworks to the
NeXT?  I understand that GNU Smalltalk is available on the NeXT, but I'd
prefer the complete environment.  I assume that either of these would need
to run under X windows in the NeXT.

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a NeXT machine, but am reluctant
to give up the effort that I've invested in my current Smalltalk project.
Has anyone ported Smalltalk code to Objective-C?

Thanks for any comments.
  Dave Carlson
  MIS Dept, University of Arizona

bill@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu (Bill Roth) (06/27/91)

In article <26JUN91213114@misvax.mis.arizona.edu> dcarlson@misvax.mis.arizona.edu writes:
>Does anyone know if ParcPlace has ported Smalltalk-80 / Objectworks to the
>NeXT?  I understand that GNU Smalltalk is available on the NeXT, but I'd
>prefer the complete environment.  I assume that either of these would need
>to run under X windows in the NeXT.

I would hope that Digitalk would come up with a Smalltalk on the
NeXT. I like their Smalltalk/V, and their attitude, better. ParcPlace is
charging outrageous fees for their smalltalk package which makes their smalltalk
inaccessible to most users.

Bill Roth,  University of Wisconsin Physical Sciences Laboratory
Internet:bill@psl.wisc.edu NeXTMAIL:roth@pslu1.psl.wisc.edu /608-873-6651

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) (06/27/91)

In article <26JUN91213114@misvax.mis.arizona.edu> dcarlson@misvax.mis.arizona.edu (Dave Carlson) writes:
   Does anyone know if ParcPlace has ported Smalltalk-80 / Objectworks to the
   NeXT?  I understand that GNU Smalltalk is available on the NeXT, but I'd
   prefer the complete environment.

For a while there, I called Parc Place fairly regularly (every two
months or so) to inquire about a port to NeXT. No luck, so far.
Perhaps if more folks called expressing an interest?

   I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a NeXT machine, but am reluctant
   to give up the effort that I've invested in my current Smalltalk project.
   Has anyone ported Smalltalk code to Objective-C?

Well, at least you would not have to get used to a different messaging
syntax. Brad Cox chose the Smalltalk syntax for Obj-C.
--
"I am walking on the wire
 and the wire is what the whole thing is about."

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (06/28/91)

In article <CNH5730.91Jun27104337@calvin.tamu.edu> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) writes:

   For a while there, I called Parc Place fairly regularly (every two
   months or so) to inquire about a port to NeXT. No luck, so far.
   Perhaps if more folks called expressing an interest?

I've called them several times too.  They said that there must be more
interest from noneducational customers before they would do a port.
They only charge $350 for their educuational version and they said
that it wasn't worth their effort unless more people who would pay the
$3500 fee were interested.

Digitalk sounded like they could be persuaded, if they heard from
enough people.

-Mike