[comp.sys.next] NX_VOID, Release 2.1 and Lighthouse Design

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (06/26/91)

I was cleaning up my disk today, and happened across the NX_VOID game
that the Lighthouse folks wrote and released years ago.  And guess
what?  It works just fine on a 68040, Release 2.1 NeXTstation.  I
guess that I'm not supposed to be surpised or anything, but I'm rather
pleased that you can write a program that does what NX_VOID does, and
play by all of the rules.  When you play by the rules, things keep
working!

NX_VOID is a asteroids-like outer-space multi-level shoot-'em up.
Louie sez "Check it out."

sonata.cc.purdue.edu:/pub/next/1.0-release/NX_VOID.Z

louie

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun26.023443.27660@ni.umd.edu> louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A.
Mamakos) writes:
> I was cleaning up my disk today, and happened across the NX_VOID game
> that the Lighthouse folks wrote and released years ago.  And guess
> what?  It works just fine on a 68040, Release 2.1 NeXTstation.  I
> guess that I'm not supposed to be surpised or anything, but I'm rather
> pleased that you can write a program that does what NX_VOID does, and
> play by all of the rules.  When you play by the rules, things keep
> working!

   I see another person who has been brainwashed by the Mac world. ;-)
   Yes, I think the NeXT is *much* more stable between version releases
than the Mac ever was. It also helps that the OS isn't going to change
much since it already has much of what we need. Only the appkit is going
to change and NeXT has made it pretty apparent that things following the
API will be backwardly supported at least one revision level.
   Most of the things that broke from 1.0 to 2.0 were doing strange
things at the system level, or depended on files being certain places.
   Although I'm sad that we don't have a lot of technical documentation
about the guts of NeXTStep (such as say: Inside Macintosh), it also makes
the lives of end-users simpler, I would say.
   What I think should be a high, high, high priority for NeXT is guarranteeing
that *nothing* can crash the window server.  As a developer, I can conjure
up apps that can crash the server consistently (unfortunately, I do this
non-deliberately). This is a Bad Thing and harks of Mac-dom. No application
should be able to crash WM, end of story.

    - jiro
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			+1 607 277-1440 Voice/Fax/Data

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.144145.11129@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>   Yes, I think the NeXT is *much* more stable between version releases
>than the Mac ever was. It also helps that the OS isn't going to change
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>much since it already has much of what we need. Only the appkit is going
>to change and NeXT has made it pretty apparent that things following the
>API will be backwardly supported at least one revision level.

I hope that this is not true.  I would like to see NeXT change from a
Mach 2.5 based kernel to a Mach 3.0 based kernel.  A Macintosh
emulator I'm working on would be much easier with some of the features
of Mach 3.0 available (mainly external pagers).

Of course, there's no reason that this change would have to break any
software that works under Mach 2.5.
--
Doug DeJulio
ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/27/91)

Nakamura) writes:
> >   Yes, I think the NeXT is *much* more stable between version releases
> >than the Mac ever was. It also helps that the OS isn't going to change
>                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >much since it already has much of what we need. Only the appkit is going
> >to change and NeXT has made it pretty apparent that things following the
> >API will be backwardly supported at least one revision level.
>
> I hope that this is not true.  I would like to see NeXT change from a
> Mach 2.5 based kernel to a Mach 3.0 based kernel.  A Macintosh
> emulator I'm working on would be much easier with some of the features
> of Mach 3.0 available (mainly external pagers).
>
> Of course, there's no reason that this change would have to break any
> software that works under Mach 2.5.

    As you guessed, I meant OS API.  There aren't going to be great
innovations like Mac System 6-->7 or other things since Mach is a
pretty mature product.
    I too would like to see Mach 3.0 on the NeXT. I guess NeXT is
trailing Mach a couple of steps to be on the safe side. After all,
they have Avie on their team, so it isn't because they are incompetent.

   - jiro
--

songer@ei.ecn.purdue.edu (Christopher M Songer) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun26.200004.1042@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu> ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) writes:

>I hope that this is not true.  I would like to see NeXT change from a
>Mach 2.5 based kernel to a Mach 3.0 based kernel.  A Macintosh
>emulator I'm working on would be much easier with some of the features
>of Mach 3.0 available (mainly external pagers).

                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Of course, there's no reason that this change would have to break any
>software that works under Mach 2.5.
>--
>Doug DeJulio
>ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu

YES!!!!!!!

(Let's say it again for emphasis, this is my personal pet NeXT peeve.)

YES!!!!!!!

External Pagers are crucial. They were a big performance hit under
2.5 and this is probably why they were left out of the NeXT version, but
regardless of whether NeXT goes to the 3.0 microkernel, PUT EXTERNAL
PAGERS IN NEXT MACH. There is so much you can do with them and, more
importantly, so much you can't do without them....

SYSV shared memory compatibility libs would be easy to do with external
pagers but rewriting code that uses SYSV shared memory is NOT easy! As
NeXT OS currently stands, one cannot do a set of SYSV shared memory
libraries. There are some coolo programs that use SYSV shm* calls. I'd
like to run some of them. So, I whole heartedly agree with Doug's comment.
An upgrade to the 3.0 microkernel would be fine, or patching the external
pagers into the current would be fine too -- either way, having external
pager would be a real boon!

-Chris