[comp.sys.next] TeX3.0

plampani@dpls (Patrick Lampani) (06/20/91)

Just FYI, We just installed TeX3.0 (from labrea ftp at stanford) on the NeXT
along with the newer AMS-tex and AMS-LaTeX. The new version of TeX (and
siblings) seems to work much faster than the old version although it did take a
bit of playing to patch it for the NeXT. Besides the speed, I guess it handles
much bigger files. I'd be curious as to other people's opinions when (and if)
they put it on.

solomon@math.indiana.edu (bruce solomon) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun20.012240.27001@doug.cae.wisc.edu> plampani@dpls (Patrick
Lampani) writes:
> Just FYI, We just installed TeX3.0 (from labrea ftp at stanford) . . .
> . . .although it did take a  bit of playing to patch it for the NeXT.
> Besides the speed, I guess it handles much bigger files.
> I'd be curious as to other people's opinions when (and if)
> they put it on.

I'd love to install TeX 3.0. Perhaps someone could post instructions on
how to do it---on the NeXT?  BTW, while I'm on the subject, I've never been
able to get the "sheet size" preferences to work under TeXView 2.0 (v0.95).
Is there a newer version of TeXView?  How can it be installed?

---bruce solomon
---math dept
---indiana university
---bloomington, in

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.144535.8962@cica.indiana.edu> solomon@math.indiana.edu (bruce solomon) writes:

>>   In article <1991Jun20.012240.27001@doug.cae.wisc.edu> plampani@dpls (Patrick
>>   Lampani) writes:
>>   > Just FYI, We just installed TeX3.0 (from labrea ftp at stanford) . . .
>>   > . . .although it did take a  bit of playing to patch it for the NeXT.
>>   > Besides the speed, I guess it handles much bigger files.
>>   > I'd be curious as to other people's opinions when (and if)
>>   > they put it on.
>>
>>   I'd love to install TeX 3.0. Perhaps someone could post instructions on
>>   how to do it---on the NeXT?  BTW, while I'm on the subject, I've never been
>>   able to get the "sheet size" preferences to work under TeXView 2.0 (v0.95).
>>   Is there a newer version of TeXView?  How can it be installed?

The TeX which comes in the extended release is already TeX 3.0.
Tom Rokicki  posted some improvements (able to handle larger
hyphenation files, like German) on labrea.  He also posted a new
improved dvips, and TexView.
If You are using a NeXT printer you may not need the improvements.
Installation is straightforward and instructions are included.
All you need to do is replace the appropriate files, and run initex on
plain, lplain, or whatever your favorite format is (e.g., AMS-LaTeX,
AMSplain), etc.
The new Texview fixes a problem with printing to a non-NeXT printer.

Let me again congratulate Tom Rokicki for the best TeX around!

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

fletcher@socrates.umd.edu (Charles Fletcher) (06/21/91)

In article <HARDY.91Jun20115059@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
>In article <1991Jun20.144535.8962@cica.indiana.edu> solomon@math.indiana.edu (bruce solomon) writes:
>

>>>   In article <1991Jun20.012240.27001@doug.cae.wisc.edu> plampani@dpls (Patrick
>>>   Lampani) writes:
>>>   > Just FYI, We just installed TeX3.0 (from labrea ftp at stanford) . . .
>>>   > . . .although it did take a  bit of playing to patch it for the NeXT.
>>>   > Besides the speed, I guess it handles much bigger files.
>>>   > I'd be curious as to other people's opinions when (and if)
>>>   > they put it on.
>>>
>>>   I'd love to install TeX 3.0. Perhaps someone could post instructions on
>>>   how to do it---on the NeXT?  BTW, while I'm on the subject, I've never been
>>>   able to get the "sheet size" preferences to work under TeXView 2.0 (v0.95).
>>>   Is there a newer version of TeXView?  How can it be installed?
>
>The TeX which comes in the extended release is already TeX 3.0.
>Tom Rokicki  posted some improvements (able to handle larger
>hyphenation files, like German) on labrea.  He also posted a new
>improved dvips, and TexView.
>If You are using a NeXT printer you may not need the improvements.
>Installation is straightforward and instructions are included.
>All you need to do is replace the appropriate files, and run initex on
>plain, lplain, or whatever your favorite format is (e.g., AMS-LaTeX,
>AMSplain), etc.
>The new Texview fixes a problem with printing to a non-NeXT printer.
>
>Let me again congratulate Tom Rokicki for the best TeX around!

	I'll second that! (The actual TeX with the NeXT is 3.1a)

	As for the sheet size (in Preferences in TeXview), hit RETURN
	after entering the length, then click on "Use Preferences"

	-Charlie

solomon@math.indiana.edu (bruce solomon) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun21.132959.2840@socrates.umd.edu> fletcher@socrates.umd.edu
(Charles Fletcher) writes:
> In article <HARDY.91Jun20115059@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu
(Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:

> >The TeX which comes in the extended release is already TeX 3.0.
> >Tom Rokicki  posted some improvements (able to handle larger
> >hyphenation files, like German) on labrea.  He also posted a new
> >improved dvips, and TexView. . .
> >Installation is straightforward and instructions are included.
> >All you need to do is replace the appropriate files, and run initex on
> >plain, lplain, or whatever your favorite format is (e.g., AMS-LaTeX,
> >AMSplain), etc.
> >
> 	As for the sheet size (in Preferences in TeXview), hit RETURN
> 	after entering the length, then click on "Use Preferences"
>
> 	-Charlie
>

> >Greetings,
> >Hardy

Thanks.  But two more questions:  (1) Which files contain the updates to dvips
and TeXView?  (2) "Use Preferences" seems to work fine, but why don't I get any
action out of "Save Preferences"?

ralf@reswi.ruhr.de (Ralf E. Stranzenbach) (06/27/91)

fletcher@socrates.umd.edu (Charles Fletcher) writes:

[..]

>>The TeX which comes in the extended release is already TeX 3.0.
>>Tom Rokicki  posted some improvements (able to handle larger
>>hyphenation files, like German) on labrea.  He also posted a new
>>improved dvips, and TexView.

[...]
>>Let me again congratulate Tom Rokicki for the best TeX around!

It's hard to belief. I just tried to make a latex with german
hyphenation patterns. It failed; see message below.

        This is CTeX, NeXT Version 3.1a (INITEX)
        **lplaing
        (/usr/lib/tex/inputs/lplaing.tex Preloading the plain format: codes,
        registers, parameters, macros, math definitions, hyphenation
        (/usr/lib/tex/inputs/hypheng.tex german hyphenation patterns
        ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pattern memory=8000].
        l.4812 tia4ris
        No pages of output.
        Transcript written on lplaing.log.

The pattern memory with 8000 hunks seems not to be increased for the
german hyphenation files. My other TeXes use a hyphenation memory of
12000. Even on my poor 'ol ST.

This makes the NeXT TeX nearly unusable for german publications.

	Ralf E. Stranzenbach
--
Ralf E.Stranzenbach  -  ralf@reswi.ruhr.de  -  Fido: via 2:241/5800.12

erik@zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu (Erik Schumacher) (06/28/91)

   From: ralf@reswi.ruhr.de (Ralf E. Stranzenbach)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 27 Jun 91 01:45:49 GMT

   fletcher@socrates.umd.edu (Charles Fletcher) writes:

   [..]

   >>The TeX which comes in the extended release is already TeX 3.0.
   >>Tom Rokicki  posted some improvements (able to handle larger
   >>hyphenation files, like German) on labrea.  He also posted a new
   >>improved dvips, and TexView.

   [...]
   >>Let me again congratulate Tom Rokicki for the best TeX around!

   It's hard to belief. I just tried to make a latex with german
   hyphenation patterns. It failed; see message below.

	   This is CTeX, NeXT Version 3.1a (INITEX)
	   **lplaing
	   (/usr/lib/tex/inputs/lplaing.tex Preloading the plain format: codes,
	   registers, parameters, macros, math definitions, hyphenation
	   (/usr/lib/tex/inputs/hypheng.tex german hyphenation patterns
	   ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [pattern memory=8000].
	   l.4812 tia4ris
	   No pages of output.
	   Transcript written on lplaing.log.

   The pattern memory with 8000 hunks seems not to be increased for the
   german hyphenation files. My other TeXes use a hyphenation memory of
   12000. Even on my poor 'ol ST.

   This makes the NeXT TeX nearly unusable for german publications.

	   Ralf E. Stranzenbach
   --
   Ralf E.Stranzenbach  -  ralf@reswi.ruhr.de  -  Fido: via 2:241/5800.12

I had the same experience - until I loaded the new version of TeX for the NeXT
which Tom Rockiki changed so that it can handle bigger hyphenation patterns. Try
this, and it will hopefully work (at least I was able to use the large hyphenation table.        Erik