[comp.sys.next] Advice on what to buy..

chris@castlab.engr.wisc.edu (Christian Rohrmeier) (06/24/91)

Hello all.

I've recently been introduced to the NeXT, and I think its a wonderful
machine. Now I am stuck with the choices whichj I must make when
purchasing one.... I want 24bit color, but with a budget of about $8000
that would limit be to a slab and a tiny hard drive. Some one suggested
that to save money.. avoid a NeXT HD and buy a 3rd party SCSI for alot
less... same thing for memory.

Any words of davice???

--
Christian Rohrmeier
chris@castlab.engr.wisc.edu

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun23.180633.26224@doug.cae.wisc.edu> chris@castlab.engr.wisc.edu (Christian Rohrmeier) writes:
   Some one suggested
   that to save money.. avoid a NeXT HD and buy a 3rd party SCSI for alot
   less... same thing for memory.

   Any words of avice???

Unless you're quite Unix/compu-knowledgeable, buy the stuff from NeXT.
There is something to be said for taking the machine out of the box,
plugging it in, turning it on, and having everything already set up
and working.
--
  The opinions expressed herein are mine and are in no way attributed
  to any of the many people for whom I work. Who they are is irrelevant.

Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) (06/25/91)

chris@castlab.engr.wisc.edu (Christian Rohrmeier) writes:

>Hello all.

>I've recently been introduced to the NeXT, and I think its a wonderful
>machine. Now I am stuck with the choices whichj I must make when
>purchasing one.... I want 24bit color, but with a budget of about $8000
>that would limit be to a slab and a tiny hard drive. Some one suggested
>that to save money.. avoid a NeXT HD and buy a 3rd party SCSI for alot
>less... same thing for memory.

>Any words of davice???

>--
>Christian Rohrmeier
>chris@castlab.engr.wisc.edu
If you want true color (24Bit ONLY fr color) then the Colorstation does
not suite you fine. It is only capable of 4096 different colors. And it
should be, as it has no extra processor for doing those graphic shifts.
Even at the color station with 12MB Mem one remarks that it runs slower
that the slab, doing complicatet graphics...

I suggest to spend the $8000 as a whole on a 8/105 MB bw slab and 3rd
party RAM (get 16MB!), a HDD (I use a wren6), maybe a streamer (depends
on what you want to do with it, I would suggest to buy one) and maybe a
modem.

If you want true 24 Bit color, get a cube and a dimension board. But you
won't get that for 8000...
(On the other hand, it's still lots cheaper than a sun with the
graphic-card...)

		sorry for disappointing you, Gerhard.
--

+---------------------------< principiis obsta! >---------------------------+
| Gerhard Moeller, Teichstrasse 12, 2900 Oldenburg (FRG)    [Geb. 02/21/68] |

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) writes:

>In article <1991Jun23.180633.26224@doug.cae.wisc.edu> chris@castlab.engr.wisc.edu (Christian Rohrmeier) writes:
>   Some one suggested
>   that to save money.. avoid a NeXT HD and buy a 3rd party SCSI for alot
>   less... same thing for memory.

>   Any words of avice???

>Unless you're quite Unix/compu-knowledgeable, buy the stuff from NeXT.
>There is something to be said for taking the machine out of the box,
>plugging it in, turning it on, and having everything already set up
>and working.
>--
>  The opinions expressed herein are mine and are in no way attributed
                                     ^^^^
hmm. Do you work for NeXT?
>  to any of the many people for whom I work. Who they are is irrelevant.

Well, I still suggest to buy a drive from a 3rd party. Even if you are
NOT a unix-guru, look at the prices for a external 660MB drive (You'll
need that much, if you have inet accesss and do programming or
graphic-stuff...) and at those funny pricing-ideas by NeXT.
Look at the news or ask, what drives work properly, get some advise how
to connect those.
I use a wren6. It's fast, NOT noisy (VERY IMPORTANT!!!!) and more or
less cheap. (As I'm German, I don't know about the US prices)
What you need: SCSI2->SCSI1 or SCSI2->SCSI2 cable. (this depends on the
SCSI cable you'll use for the daisychain, ask somene for more, if you
don't know...)
A SCSI terminator. (Most devices have built in terminators, you can use
them if you cable ENDS at those devices. This is not the normal case, as
you can connect more than one device to a SCSI-port. - So I suggest to
pull the intern terminators out of the device and use a SCSI terminator
at the end of your "intern" SCSI cable.)
A drive (you guessed it)
A power supply. (Either you get a HDD with case and power supply already
configuratet, or get a cheap PClike case with power supply.)
1 bottle of congnac (Hennessy VSOP or, even better, XO) or whisky (for
yous Americans...;-))

You need to set the SCSI ID. (read the manual for the drive)
The drive comes (normally) formatted, so you just have to init it. So
you need a disktab entry. Post here what drive you are thinking of, and
I'm sure you'll get lots of nice entries. - I can send you mine for the
wren, others for maxtor, fujitsu and so on have been sent already...

It's not that hard to do it - if you try...
			gerhard.

-No warranty on the above said, of course...
							;-)
--

stickler@utrio.helsinki.fi (Patrick Stickler) (06/25/91)

In article <5988@uniol.UUCP> Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) writes:
>chris@castlab.engr.wisc.edu (Christian Rohrmeier) writes:
>
>>Hello all.
>>Any words of davice???
>
>... 3rd party RAM (get 16MB!), a HDD (I use a wren6), ...
>
>+---------------------------< principiis obsta! >---------------------------+
>| Gerhard Moeller, Teichstrasse 12, 2900 Oldenburg (FRG)    [Geb. 02/21/68] |
>|    inhouse: gimli!gemoe               uucp: ...(unido!)uniol!gmoeller     |
>|DOMAIN: gerhard.moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de                   |
>|BITNET: gmoeller%arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de@DOLUNI1 (106495@DOLUNI1) |
>+-----------------------> the medium is the message <-----------------------+

Can you post where you got your 3rd party hardware and what might be the
rough 'street price'?

I'm also seriously considering 'taking the plunge' but am quite convinced of
the need for RAM and HD space - so I'd be *very* interested in *any* way of
getting below the price of the 16/400 slab (which seems to be the absolute
minimum functional configuration) -- a 8/105 slab with 3rd party hardware
might just be the solution (*if* it's really cheaper and it works!).

Thanks.

     Patrick Stickler       Research Unit for Computational Linguistics
        OH2/KC4YYY              Department of General Linguistics
  stickler@cc.helsinki.fi             University of Helsinki
 The comments contained herein reflect the official views of my employer.
 (but only if they agree with me or happen to think it was a clever idea)

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (06/25/91)

Just to add my $.02 worth:

If at all possible, try to buy a used machine. That's how I got my
Cube. I bought a used 030 Cube, and put 3rd party 660 meg hard drive
in it. Then I used edu discounts to buy 040 board and printer. And
now I just bought some used memory (yes, you really can find that).

In fact, now that I think of it...Someone want to tell me how much
this system would be worth:

	040 Cube
	Optical Drive
	660 Maxtor Hard drive
	NeXT printer
	6 Optical Disks
	System 2.1
	28 MB RAM
	Dove Fax Modem
	FrameMaker
	TopDraw
	SoftPC
	T/Maker's Click Art on Optical

I'm curious, but if the price is right...

Thanks,
MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland

Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) (06/26/91)

stickler@utrio.helsinki.fi (Patrick Stickler) writes:

>In article <5988@uniol.UUCP> Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) writes:
>>chris@castlab.engr.wisc.edu (Christian Rohrmeier) writes:
>>
>>>Hello all.
>>>Any words of davice???
>>
>>... 3rd party RAM (get 16MB!), a HDD (I use a wren6), ...
>>
>>+---------------------------< principiis obsta! >---------------------------+
>>| Gerhard Moeller, Teichstrasse 12, 2900 Oldenburg (FRG)    [Geb. 02/21/68] |
>>|    inhouse: gimli!gemoe               uucp: ...(unido!)uniol!gmoeller     |
>>|DOMAIN: gerhard.moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de                   |
>>|BITNET: gmoeller%arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de@DOLUNI1 (106495@DOLUNI1) |
>>+-----------------------> the medium is the message <-----------------------+

>Can you post where you got your 3rd party hardware and what might be the
>rough 'street price'?

I bought it at sinfoni, Bremen, FRG. Prices:
Wren6: 3000,- DM (~1680,- US$)
Case and power supply for the Wren6: 200,- DM
Archive Viper 150: 1400,- DM
4x9x4MBit (16MByte): 1600,- DM

I don't know prices in USA, probably cheaper, and I have no clue about
the prices in Helsinki...

>I'm also seriously considering 'taking the plunge' but am quite convinced of
>the need for RAM and HD space - so I'd be *very* interested in *any* way of
>getting below the price of the 16/400 slab (which seems to be the absolute
>minimum functional configuration) -- a 8/105 slab with 3rd party hardware
>might just be the solution (*if* it's really cheaper and it works!).

It depends on how much effort you will take upon you. To install the
system took me about 2 days... and how much you know about Unix. Look
for some prices, then decide what drive suits you best and then ask
here for the disktab to use with this drive. (Better do this BEFORE you
buy the HDD...) With RAM the thing gets more compilcated, as all SIMMS
are supposed to work with the NeXT, but they don't. So make sure that
you can return them if they don't work...

				Ciao, Gerhard.

--

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) (06/27/91)

In article <6030@uniol.UUCP> Gerhard.Moeller@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Gerhard Moeller) writes:
   With RAM the thing gets more compilcated, as all SIMMS
   are supposed to work with the NeXT, but they don't. So make sure that
   you can return them if they don't work...

Good advice. But you also need to be aware of the special situation
with the NeXTstation (slab). If you open the slab and install non-NeXT
RAM yourself (as opposed to having a NeXT-certified service provider
do the job), you violate the conditions of your warranty. So if for
some reason, your RAM fries your system, you may have a problem.

Just so you know.
--
"I am walking on the wire
 and the wire is what the whole thing is about."

In article <CNH5730.91Jun27094940@calvin.tamu.edu>
	cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) writes:
>Good advice. But you also need to be aware of the special situation
>with the NeXTstation (slab). If you open the slab and install non-NeXT
>RAM yourself (as opposed to having a NeXT-certified service provider
>do the job), you violate the conditions of your warranty.

We had our [now former*] Campus Consultant check on this before
ever opening a machine, and he told us that this was NOT true.

BTW, it's just about impossible to damage one of the non-Color
machines while adding RAM--you're far more likely to damage the
SIMMs themselves (mechanically, not electrically).  On the
Color machines, the sockets are extremely fragile, but the SIMMs
are reasonably sturdy.

*NeXT apparently changed the "official responsibilities" of all
Campus Consultants, and ours resigned in disgust.  The story I
heard was that NeXT decided not to have CCs performing technical
support, but instead be on-site sales dweebs.

					-=EPS=-

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) (06/28/91)

In article <1801@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>*NeXT apparently changed the "official responsibilities" of all
>Campus Consultants, and ours resigned in disgust.  The story I
>heard was that NeXT decided not to have CCs performing technical
>support, but instead be on-site sales dweebs.

This doesn't surprise me at all.  I'm sure I'll get flamed and called an
ass for saying it, but Campus Consultants (at least the technically able
ones) have always seemed an exploitable labor source for NeXT.  Paid a
wage that doesn't allow a student to live, much less pay for a NeXT
computer, I can easily imagine a person quitting if forced to do nothing
but sales work.

NeXT, by direct quote, prefers to hire Campus Consultants (an outdated phrase?)
who "already have the religion."  Unfortunate, but true, is a sad tendency
for religious zeal to combine with an unquestioning attitude.  I hope that
NeXT Campus Consultants are above such an attitude.

(Important disclaimer:  NeXT had me cancel travel plans on short notice so
that, an hour into a job interview, they could tell me the position had
already been filed.  I was upset and, therefore, am probably biased.
I think the machine is #1, but I can't seem to get the religion.)

-
-John H. Osborn
-osborn@cs.utexas.edu

In article <20891@cs.utexas.edu> osborn@cs.utexas.edu
	(John Howard Osborn) writes:
>               ... but Campus Consultants (at least the technically able
>ones) have always seemed an exploitable labor source for NeXT.  Paid a
>wage that doesn't allow a student to live, much less pay for a NeXT
>computer

A NeXT Computer comes with the deal--but if you resign, you have
to return the machine--it's only on loan.

					-=EPS=-