[comp.sys.next] Set the right time ?

ralf@reswi.ruhr.de (Ralf E. Stranzenbach) (06/27/91)

Hi,

I would like to set the right time of my NeXT's system clock. I have
experiences with System-V machines... So this seems to be easy...
Edit here, edit there...

But instead I found a very pretty made `Preferences.' Ok. Just point
an` click. So I got something set like GMT+0100. Looks nice. The clock
running in the dock shows the right time.

But this timezone is not right for my place. It should better be using
something like MET (wich IS actually GMT+0100) and MES (GMT+0200) in
the summer months. Unfortunately this setting is not available in the
Preferences.

I found some files in /etc/zoneinfo. And - just looking at their names -
there ARE the right time settings available. So, how can I set my
favourite time ?

Help required,
        Ralf E. Stranzenbach
        ralf@reswi.ruhr.de
--
Ralf E.Stranzenbach  -  ralf@reswi.ruhr.de  -  Fido: via 2:241/5800.12

In article <1991Jun27.013956.17760@reswi.ruhr.de>
	ralf@reswi.ruhr.de (Ralf E. Stranzenbach) writes:
>I found some files in /etc/zoneinfo. And - just looking at their names -
>there ARE the right time settings available. So, how can I set my
>favourite time ?

/etc/zoneinfo/localtime should be a hard link to the appropriate
zone file:

# cd /etc/zoneinfo
# rm localtime
# ln MET localtime

If you offer anonymous FTP, you should also copy localtime
to ~ftp/etc/zoneinfo/localtime since ls won't have access to the
"real" copy.

					-=EPS=-

kloppen@gmdzi.gmd.de (Jelske Kloppenburg) (06/28/91)

ralf@reswi.ruhr.de (Ralf E. Stranzenbach) writes:

>Hi,

>I would like to set the right time of my NeXT's system clock. I have

>But this timezone is not right for my place. It should better be using
>something like MET (wich IS actually GMT+0100) and MES (GMT+0200) in
>the summer months. Unfortunately this setting is not available in the
>Preferences.

'Poland' is the proper choice for MET DST.
Try it!

regards j.k.

  Jelske Kloppenburg, kloppen@gmdzi.gmd.de, (++49 2241) 14-2433
  German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)