[comp.sys.next] Nemacs and NeXT -- Insane pricing of 2.1J OS

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (06/25/91)

In article <2422@solvalou.mech.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
mizo@helmine (Hideo Mizoguchi) writes:

>I phoned Canon and asked about this Japanese OS but I was told that you can buy
>OS 2.0J for JPY 60,000 *IF YOU HAVE BOUGHT YOUR CUBE THROUGH CANON*. If not,
>you'll have to pay JPY360,000. Yes, it's about $2,500.

What kind of INSANE pricing is that?
That's 80% of EDU price for a NeXTstation.

Are they also trying to sell 2.1J to us in the US and the rest of
the world at THAT price, or are they intimidating Japanese users and
"parallel importers" who might try to
get machines from the US directly instead of through Canon?

Either case, Steve, please stop this insanity, before the
rumer spreads that NeXT's Kanji system is nice but costs
as much as the machine itself.

Canon's attitude that the Japanese OS is just for the Japanese
market is sad and unfortunate in this age.  There are a lot of Japanese
all over the world.  There are also probably just as many
non-native Japanese speakers who want to use NeXT for their
work and study.

We couldn't have bought a NeXT machine from Canon even if we
wanted to.  Then, aren't we entitled to 2.1J at the same
price as users in Japan get?

This is just plain stupid.  There really should be just ONE
NeXT OS for the entire world just as the NeXT machine can
plug into the outlet anywhere in the world.  2.1J should
be that OS (of course uninterested users can opt not to install
Japanese fonts to save disk space.).

Izumi Ohzawa             [ 大澤五住 ]
USMail: University of California, 360 Minor Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Telephone: (415) 642-6440             Fax:  (415) 642-3323
Internet: izumi@violet.berkeley.edu   NeXTmail: izumi@pinoko.berkeley.edu

youki@newmars.ics.osaka-u.ac.jp (Youki Kadobayashi) (06/25/91)

> What kind of INSANE pricing is that?
> That's 80% of EDU price for a NeXTstation.

In Japan, it's little fraction of the price for a NeXTstation.  There
are no EDU discounts. NeXTstation costs more than $16,000 if my memory
is correct.

> We couldn't have bought a NeXT machine from Canon even if we
> wanted to.

Actually we can't buy NeXTstation even if we wanted to.

The main purpose of Canon's investment to NeXT is, in fact, to protect
Japanese workstation market from cheap NeXTs, so that every Japanese
workstation vendors can sell workstations in much higher price (thus
they can make much money).  That's why Canon became Asian official
dealer for NeXT Computer System, and that's why they did not offer EDU
discount.

Canon was a guinea pig to protect Japanese WS market; of course every
other hardware vendors could do this role, but Canon had some good
reason; Canon is a official dealer for Apple Macintosh and Canon was
big enough to make such investment.

Hey Canon, prove me wrong and offer EDU price, if you _really_ want
to sell NeXTs!!

(The opinion expressed above is solely of my own..)
--
Youki Kadobayashi
Information Network Architecture Lab.

yonezawa@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Noritake Yonezawa) (06/25/91)

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:

>In article <2422@solvalou.mech.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
>mizo@helmine (Hideo Mizoguchi) writes:
>>
>>I phoned Canon and asked about this Japanese OS but I was told that you can buy
>>OS 2.0J for JPY 60,000 *IF YOU HAVE BOUGHT YOUR CUBE THROUGH CANON*. If not,
>>you'll have to pay JPY360,000. Yes, it's about $2,500.

>What kind of INSANE pricing is that?
>That's 80% of EDU price for a NeXTstation.

If that pricing is true, NeXT and Canon will lose lots of potential customers.
No Japanese Emacs? No Japanese TeX? Only Japanese front-end?
Who will pay $2,500 for such an incomplete Japanese OS?

--
Noritake Yonezawa [yonezawa@cs.uiuc.edu]
Department of Computer Science

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (06/26/91)

In article <1991Jun25.142851.24895@m.cs.uiuc.edu>
yonezawa@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Noritake Yonezawa) writes:

>If that pricing is true, NeXT and Canon will lose lots of potential customers.
>No Japanese Emacs? No Japanese TeX? Only Japanese front-end?
>Who will pay $2,500 for such an incomplete Japanese OS?

Nemacs, TeX, and Wnn already exists and running on NeXT (probably
people using them are using 1.0 binaries as 2.0/2.1 has a
lot of problems with these in compiling, kernel crashes).
They are free, and you can get them now.

It would be nice if they distribute these with the OS, but
these are not for intended audience of the NeXT machines.
They will probably bundle  them if the distribution media
has space for them (only CD and double-sided OD fits the bill.).

Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]

In article <YOUKI.91Jun25205847@newmars.ics.osaka-u.ac.jp>
youki@newmars.ics.osaka-u.ac.jp (Youki Kadobayashi) writes:

>> What kind of INSANE pricing is that?
>> That's 80% of EDU price for a NeXTstation.
>
>The main purpose of Canon's investment to NeXT is, in fact, to protect
>Japanese workstation market from cheap NeXTs, so that every Japanese
>workstation vendors can sell workstations in much higher price (thus
>they can make much money).  That's why Canon became Asian official
>dealer for NeXT Computer System, and that's why they did not offer EDU
>discount.
>
>Canon was a guinea pig to protect Japanese WS market; of course every
>other hardware vendors could do this role, but Canon had some good
>reason; Canon is a official dealer for Apple Macintosh and Canon was
>big enough to make such investment.

What?
Are you suggesting that Canon and other workstation vendors are
engaging in price fixing to protect high prices of workstations?

That could well be true judging from their behavior so far.

Time to send Ms. Carla Hills again to kick these guys asses.

Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]

yonezawa@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Noritake Yonezawa) (06/26/91)

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:

>Nemacs, TeX, and Wnn already exists and running on NeXT (probably
>people using them are using 1.0 binaries as 2.0/2.1 has a
>lot of problems with these in compiling, kernel crashes).
>They are free, and you can get them now.

I know, I know. But, why do we have to use such unstable programs
on _$2,500_ OS? _$2,500_ OS should contain not only Japanese fonts
but also usable Japanese applications, at least a Japanese word processor.
I don't think `edit' with Japanese is a Japanese application.

The machine is expensive. The OS is incredibly expensive.
The Japanese environment is poor. NeXT never beat other Unix boxes in Japan.

--
Noritake Yonezawa [yonezawa@cs.uiuc.edu]
Department of Computer Science

yonezawa@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Noritake Yonezawa) (06/26/91)

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:

>What?
>Are you suggesting that Canon and other workstation vendors are
>engaging in price fixing to protect high prices of workstations?

>That could well be true judging from their behavior so far.

Huh? Are there real workstation vendors in Japan? :-) :-)

--

windemut@lisboa.ks.uiuc.edu (Andreas Windemuth) (06/27/91)

In article <1991Jun26.015554.12864@m.cs.uiuc.edu> yonezawa@m.cs.uiuc.edu
(Noritake Yonezawa) writes:
> I know, I know. But, why do we have to use such unstable programs
> on _$2,500_ OS? _$2,500_ OS should contain not only Japanese fonts
> but also usable Japanese applications, at least a Japanese word processor.
> I don't think `edit' with Japanese is a Japanese application.

What's wrong with edit?
		Andreas Windemuth

youki@neptune.ics.osaka-u.ac.jp (Youki Kadobayashi) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun25.142851.24895@m.cs.uiuc.edu> yonezawa@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Noritake Yonezawa) writes:

> If that pricing is true, NeXT and Canon will lose lots of potential
> customers.

Agreed. Canon will be again beaten by `parallel importers' :-)

> No Japanese Emacs? No Japanese TeX? Only Japanese
> front-end?  Who will pay $2,500 for such an incomplete Japanese OS?

Canon will release Nemacs and JTeX which runs on 2.1J.
Of course they will be freely redistributable.

These applications / building blocks are Kanji-capable:

	Workspace Manager
	Interface Builder
	Edit
	Draw
	NeXT mail
	Terminal (frequently dumps core..)
	Digital Librarian
	Preferences
	Fax Reader
	Preview
	Print Manager
	BuildDisk (file system is incompatible)
	Installer
	Application Kit  (Text Class, Font Class, Pasteboard Server)
	Window Server

The incompatibility of file system is serious problem if you have both
SR 2.1 and SR 2.1J and they are net-less; you can't mount 2.1J's OD on
2.1.

Some of conventional UNIX commands are also Kanji-aware:

youki@genesis(2)$ ls /usr/nje/bin
awk*    diff*   egrep*  fgrep*  jconv*  more*   rev*    tip*    write*
cat*    diff3*  ex*     find*   lex*    od*     sed*    vi*     yacc*
csh*    ed*     expand* fold*   ls*     page*   sort*   view*
date*   edit*   expr*   grep*   macho*  pr*     talk*   wc*

Though their sales policy is INSANE, their Japanese OS is very fine, I
think. I can't understand why people at Canon ported "brain-damaged" X
window system to NeXT.

--
Youki Kadobayashi
Information Network Architecture Lab.
Dept. of Info. and Comp. Sci, Osaka University, Japan

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (06/28/91)

In article <YOUKI.91Jun28143802@neptune.ics.osaka-u.ac.jp>
youki@neptune.ics.osaka-u.ac.jp (Youki Kadobayashi) writes:

[Thank you for posting the list of Japanese-aware apps. and
commands.]

Is 2.1J actually shipping in Japan now?  If not, are
you speaking of experiences with a pre-release copy?

>	BuildDisk (file system is incompatible)
>
>The incompatibility of file system is serious problem if you have both
>SR 2.1 and SR 2.1J and they are net-less; you can't mount 2.1J's OD on
>2.1.

This is very bad.
Why did they have to mess with the filesystem format?

Please elaborate on this.  Does it go backward? That is,
can you mount 2.1 OD/floppy on 2.1J system and do read/write?
If so, is the disk written on 2.1J (but initialized on 2.1)
still mountable on 2.1 system?

How about the compatibility of NetInfo config server/clients.
Can 2.1 NetInfo config server serve 2.1J clients?

Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]