[comp.sys.next] Importing PostScript into Framemaker?

noble@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (James Noble) (06/28/91)

I am creating PostScript files from Lotus 123 and want
to include them in a Framemaker document.  The Preview
App displays the files fine, but when using Import in
Framemaker it reads the files as text, not PostScript.
Based upon the Framemaker documentation I can't see
what to try next...any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

j noble

e-mail to (noble@ecn.purdue.edu)

ray@mtl.mit.edu (Ray Ghanbari) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun28.040244.7530@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> noble@gn.ecn.purdue.edu
(James Noble) writes:
> I am creating PostScript files from Lotus 123 and want
> to include them in a Framemaker document.  The Preview
> App displays the files fine, but when using Import in
> Framemaker it reads the files as text, not PostScript.

Framemaker has a little problem in deciding which files are PS and which files
are not.  Look at the first line of the PS file. If it looks like:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0

then it needs to be changed to something like.

%!PS-Adobe-2.0 EPSF-2.0

This is also a problem if one wishes to import files generated by Adobe
Illustrator 3.0 on the Mac (and presumably AI on the NeXT when it is
available).  Apparently, this will be fixed in Frame 3.0.

If you are really ambitious and have a couple hours to burn, Frame has a
feature where you can trap file names with a particular suffix (.ps, .eps, .ai,
etc...) and have the files run through a filter program before Frame tries to
do anything with it.  (This is how you can drop a .wn file into your document).
If the above fixes things, it ought to be a simple matter to write a shell
script that automatically makes the change.  Look in the Customizing Frame
section of the Reference manual for details of where the appropriate files are.

Ray Ghanbari

phone:	(617) 253-0723
e-mail:	ray@mtl.mit.edu	 (NeXT mail OK)

francisr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Rob Francis) (06/28/91)

In article <6323@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> ray@mtl.mit.edu writes:
>In article <1991Jun28.040244.7530@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> noble@gn.ecn.purdue.edu
>(James Noble) writes:
>> I am creating PostScript files from Lotus 123 and want
>> to include them in a Framemaker document.  The Preview
>> App displays the files fine, but when using Import in
>> Framemaker it reads the files as text, not PostScript.
>
>Framemaker has a little problem in deciding which files are PS and which files
>are not.  Look at the first line of the PS file. If it looks like:
>
>%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
>
>then it needs to be changed to something like.
>
>%!PS-Adobe-2.0 EPSF-2.0

There is really an easier way if you don't want to mess with the
Postscript file.  Markus Lankiet answered this question for me awhile
back.

FrameMaker will treat any EPS files as images and will directly image
them for you.  However raw PS files are treated as text.  To image
them,
what you have to do is the following:

1. Get the graphics pallet up (third from the top of the four buttons
located in the upper left hand corner of the document window -- looks
like a 45-45 ruler).

2. Make a new text frame -- locate the "Frame" button, immediatly
above
it and to the left is a button that has a rectangle with some lines in
it -- that's the text frame button.  Oh, and make sure you have a
flashing cursor inside your new text frame.

3. Import the PS file into the newly created text frame.  Since the
new
text frame does not have any "flow" tag associated to it, text will
not
flow onto another page (this is why we didn't use the existing text
frame).

4. Now, go to the Format Menu and bring up the Flow panel.  One of the

switches in the upper half of that panel will say something like
"autoconnect & postscript code"  -- You'll know what I mean when you get
there.  Anyway, make sure the switches are checked and then click on OK.

5. FrameMaker will now image the postscrip code inside the text frame.

The text frame is now a graphics frame that you can scale (dragging on
the handles around it will only crop it...) via the scale function in
the Graphics menu.

Hope this helps!

Rob

= Rob Francis                        |NeXT Campus Consultant        =
= BITNET: francisr@iubacs            |Indiana University            =
= INTERNET: francisr@ucs.indiana.edu |Bloomington, IN               =
= The Democrats stand for nothing except "I wish I was a Republican"=
= and the Republicans stand for raw, unbridled evil and greed and   =
= ignorance smothered in balloons and ribbons.  -Frank Zappa        =