[net.auto] 55-65 MPH safety

paul@axiom.UUCP (Paul O`Shaughnessy) (03/10/86)

(A bit long, but hopefully illuminating.)

On the 55-65 MPH safety debate, there is no debate that *when* a collision
occurs, speed is a problem.  The amount of kinetic energy that must be
gotten rid of (by bending metal or doing other work on the car or occupants)
is 40% higher at 65 than 55.  The amount of force applied to occupants
and internal organs due to rapid deceleration is nearly 20% higher, assuming
similar crash scenarios.  If a debate rested on this alone, then 55 (or
even slower) would be the logical choice.

The points about the *causes* of accidents, however, are persuasive.  I have
just moved most of my driving from a '64 Chevy Impala (alias tank) to an
'84 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo.  I felt safe in the Chevy because in any collision
with a smaller car, I'd win, sort of.  However, I feel much more in control
of my trajectory at 65 or 70 MPH in the Cordia than at 50 in the Chevy.  An
extreme example, you may say, but indicative of what's happened in 20 years.
The improved headlights and handling of the Cordia allow me to avoid situations
I would have trouble with in the Chevy.  Cars today are more controllable at
these higher speeds than those of 20 years ago.

Virtually every accident that I have witnessed or heard of involved gross
negligence on the part of some driver, such as drunkeness, excessive speed
under slick conditions, or careless and abusive lane changing.  The only
fatalities that I have heard of or seen involved on of the above combined
with a gross disparity in vehicle weight (early '70's FORD LTD vs. K-car).
Not statistically sound, I admit, but allow me to press on....
On highways, the nonuniformity of speeds is what takes the lion's share of my
attention, and some day is what will distract my attention away from avoidance
of an accident.  *These* are the causes of accidents!

Disclaimer:  I presently drive near or at posted speed limits, because the
penalties in insurance premiums in Massachusetts for moving violations are
extreme, and I don't have a radar detector.  Now, my point is....

In an atmosphere of limited police resources, every cop out there writing up
a ticket for 64 MPH is one cop *not* out nailing drunken, lane changing jerks.
Every dollar spent on radar detectors is not spent on better inspection of
brakes, suspensions, steering, and driving skill.  The problem with the 55 MPH
speed limit is that its safety dimension is largely an illusion.  Its
enforcement takes effort away from truly reducing accidents.

Do you agree or disagee?

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (03/12/86)

In article <181@axiom.UUCP> paul@axiom.UUCP (Paul O`Shaughnessy) writes:

>Disclaimer:  I presently drive near or at posted speed limits, because the
>penalties in insurance premiums in Massachusetts for moving violations are
>extreme, and I don't have a radar detector.

Really?  I currently have a clean record (thank you, Passport!) and received
a "safe driver" discount of $50 (on an $800, one driver/one car policy.)
From what I hear from friends, if I get one ticket, I lose the discount, but
nothing more.

>In an atmosphere of limited police resources, every cop out there writing up
>a ticket for 64 MPH is one cop *not* out nailing drunken, lane changing jerks.
>Every dollar spent on radar detectors is not spent on better inspection of
>brakes, suspensions, steering, and driving skill.  The problem with the 55 MPH
>speed limit is that its safety dimension is largely an illusion.  Its
>enforcement takes effort away from truly reducing accidents.
>
>Do you agree or disagee?

YES!!  Drunks, idiots, and lack of seat belts kill people.
--
John Allred
General Computer Company

jimb@drutx.UUCP (Jim Bryant) (03/12/86)

> From: paul@axiom.UUCP (Paul O`Shaughnessy)
>
> Every dollar spent on radar detectors is not spent on better inspection of
> brakes, suspensions, steering, and driving skill.

It's also not spent to fund the [city|county|state] coffer. :-)

                                                      -------
Jim Bryant - the right choice                       -====------
...!{ihnp4,ulysses,mtuxo,whuxl}!drutx!jimb         -======------
AT&T Information Systems Laboratories      /~~\     ---/\------
11900 North Pecos  30K66              /\  /    \  /\  /~~\---       /\
Denver, Colorado  80234              /  \/   /\ \/  \/    \  /\    /  \
(303) 538-4224                      /    \  /  \/   /      \/  \  /    \