[comp.sys.next] Has anyone got emacs GNUS running on the NeXT? What did you do?

MBParker@share.UUCP (06/21/91)

Has anyone got emacs GNUS running on the NeXT?  What did you do?  I'm stuck.

I'm trying to install the powerful emacs newsreader gnus (version 3.13) on a
NeXT running Release 2.1, which comes with GNU Emacs 18.55.121 preinstalled.
But when I invoke gnus (M-x gnus) within emacs, gnus starts up, checks for
~/.newsrc (which, say, doesn't exist), appears to be reading and possibly
/usr/lib/news/active; but the active file is over roughly 423 lines/groups
(mine is 1231 lines), gnus will never finish reading it and will fatally ``IOT
trap''s during one of its ``Garbage collecting'' cycles.

Marc Horowitz <marc@mit.edu> said emacs-18.55 had garbage collection bugs and
suggested I try using a more recent version (Why hadn't NeXT included the most
recent version of Emacs in their recent 2.1 Release?!!); so I laboriously
obtained, built, and installed the most recent version of emacs, version
18.57, but the problem remained unscathed.

I don't know what code's producing the IOT signal --the emacs code doesn't IOT
signal; nor do I know what the signal's supposed to mean (out of memory?).  So
I'm stuck.  So if any of you nice folk have a guess at what might be wrong, or
better, if you've been able to get GNUS running on the NeXT, please reply to
mbparker@mit.edu.  Thanks, -Mike Parker

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun21.094014.15441@share.UUCP> MBParker@share.UUCP writes:

   Has anyone got emacs GNUS running on the NeXT?  What did you do?  I'm stuck.

   I'm trying to install the powerful emacs newsreader gnus (version 3.13) on a
   NeXT running Release 2.1, which comes with GNU Emacs 18.55.121 preinstalled.
   But when I invoke gnus (M-x gnus) within emacs, gnus starts up, checks for
   ~/.newsrc (which, say, doesn't exist), appears to be reading and possibly
   /usr/lib/news/active; but the active file is over roughly 423 lines/groups
   (mine is 1231 lines), gnus will never finish reading it and will fatally ``IOT
   trap''s during one of its ``Garbage collecting'' cycles.

I use GNUS 3.13 on the 040 NeXT Cube(2.0) from time to time (can't
post at that nntp server, though) w/o any problems.  However, I've had
problems with Emacs on the new NeXTstations, and I have no idea why.
At times Emacs seems to take forever loading files and saving them.
There isn't any difference b/w the 040 Cube and the NeXTstation slab
is there?  Has anyone else experience any problems with the Slab?  It
could be our network configuration.

-Mike

cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun21.094014.15441@share.UUCP> MBParker@share.UUCP writes:
   Has anyone got emacs GNUS running on the NeXT?  What did you do?  I'm stuck.

Would you consider NewsGrazer, the nntp-compatible USENET newsreader
which was written for the NeXT? It's slower than GNUS but much more
feature-rich and is very NeXTy.
--
"I am walking on the wire
 and the wire is what the whole thing is about."

cedman@golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) (06/28/91)

In article <CNH5730.91Jun28104343@calvin.tamu.edu> cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Charles Herrick) writes:

MBParker@share.UUCP writes:
   Has anyone got emacs GNUS running on the NeXT?  What did you do?  I'm stuck.

Would you consider NewsGrazer, the nntp-compatible USENET newsreader
which was written for the NeXT? It's slower than GNUS but much more
feature-rich and is very NeXTy.

*Yes, it is slow indeed, but it most certainly is not more feature rich
than GNUS. Any standalone would by necessity have to be less feature
rich than a programm like GNUS which is basically 300 kBytes of
high-level language frills (as the basic things like NNTP and user
interface are to a large part taken care of in other parts of emacs).
Add to this the trivial extensibility of GNUS in emacs lisp, and no
standalone news reader can possibly keep up.

Newsgrazer itself is nice enough and really much more NeXTy than GNUS.
Now if just stopped going into an endless loop when one selected
Listing type display of newsgroups.

        Carl Edman

--
"We hold that what one man cannot morally do, a million men cannot
morally do, and government, representing many millions of men, cannot

steve@tweedledee.ucsb.edu (Steve Trainoff) (06/29/91)

(Charles Herrick) writes:
> Would you consider NewsGrazer, the nntp-compatible USENET newsreader
> which was written for the NeXT? It's slower than GNUS but much more
> feature-rich and is very NeXTy.

Here is a tip to speed up the Grazer a bit.  For some reason that I can't
fathom, it takes forever to write out the .newsrc. By default it does this
everytime one switches groups.  If you set the preference:
Configuration->Record articles read... When quitting the application, it only
writes the .newsrc out once at the end. This speeds it up quite a bit at the
expense of a bit less reliabililty. I also wish it would save articles by
appending them to a file like rn does.  This really is much more convenient
than having them labeled by their article number, but I suppose the current
method is better for indexing in the Librarian.

--
..STeve