[comp.sys.next] NeXT predicts sales of $45-$50 million dollars for quarter

stefanos@concour.cs.concordia.ca (KIAKAS stefanos) (06/27/91)

hello all

   in today's WSJ there is an article on NeXT about how it is gaining
   momentum in the industry and that it will have sales of about
   $50 million this quarter.

   it also mentions  possible problems concerning competitors who will
   introduce new and more powerful machines. (Sun and Silicon Graphics)
   also mentioned, as possible problems, the new aliances being formed
   by IBM, Apple, and Motorola; ACE ; and that NeXT is building its
   next computer around the 88k which "is not getting any support".

   the article mentions that NeXT beat Sun for an order by Los Angeles
   County Sheriff's department for 250 computers. Other big buyers include
   Bozell Inc., Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency, and First
   National Bank of Chicago.

   thought you would like to know.

				stef

rreid@DPW.COM (r l reid ) (06/28/91)

In article <593@daily-planet.concordia.ca> stefanos@concour.cs.concordia.ca (KIAKAS stefanos) writes:
>   the article mentions that NeXT beat Sun for an order by Los Angeles
>   County Sheriff's department for 250 computers.

They oughta make them a beta test site - they're good at beating on
things...

Ro

alain@elevia.UUCP (W.A.Simon) (06/28/91)

In <3353@esquire.dpw.com> rreid@DPW.COM (r l reid ) writes:
>In article <593@daily-planet.concordia.ca> stefanos@concour.cs.concordia.ca (KIAKAS stefanos) writes:
>>   the article mentions that NeXT beat Sun for an order by Los Angeles
>>   County Sheriff's department for 250 computers.
>They oughta make them a beta test site - they're good at beating on
>things...

	I wonder what Daryl "Kill Everybody" Gates would think
	of a machine that is completely black... and talks back.

--
William "Alain" Simon
                                                   UUCP: alain@elevia.UUCP

crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) (06/28/91)

>They oughta make them a beta test site - they're good at beating on
>things...

Ha!  But, it was the L.A. City Police in the news lately, not the L.A.
County Sherriff's Department.

I understand that the first major application of NeXTs in the
Sherriff's offices will be to establish a document database, processing
and exchange system including support for scanned-in documents (with
optical character recognition, etc.)  There are a couple off-the-shelf
NeXT database applications for sophisticated scanned document
processing.

It will be neat if they then move on to displaying mug shots and
fingerprints and such.  I guess the Sherriff's office might not need
super-excellent quality, but NeXTdimension boards and Kodak PhotoCD
would do nicely for this sort of thing.  (I hope PhotoCD is on schedule
to be implemented in 1992, so that consumers can get their 35mm negatives
scanned in and written onto special rewritable CD-ROMs compatible with
existing CD-ROM players, for around $20 for a roll of film and a similiarly
reasonable price for prints made from the roughly 8K by 8K digital photo
scans.

Allen, please do comment on the Sherriff's Department application when
you can, or just give me the info and I'll summarize!

The installation of NeXTs in the William Morris Agency (e.g. in Beverly
Hills) is also going nicely, I understand -- and moving from inter-office
connections using UUCP to a more sophisticated IP/TCP network rather like
the Internet.  (By the way, the Internet designers at ISI in Marina Del Rey,
e.g. John Postel, prefer "IP/TCP" to "TCP/IP", because TCP is just one of
the transport layer protocols on top of IP network layer.  Other transport
protocols are UDP and VMTP.)

Gary

isbell@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Art Isbell) (06/28/91)

In article <3353@esquire.dpw.com> rreid@esquire.UUCP (r l reid ) writes:
>In article <593@daily-planet.concordia.ca> stefanos@concour.cs.concordia.ca (KIAKAS stefanos) writes:
>>   the article mentions that NeXT beat Sun for an order by Los Angeles
>>   County Sheriff's department for 250 computers.
>
>They oughta make them a beta test site - they're good at beating on
>things...
>
>Ro

Humorous, but inaccurate.  Let's not blame the wrong guys;  the Los Angeles
Police Department, not the Los Angeles County Sheriff, is the infamous
organization.  I haven't heard anyone say that a Sheriff was present, only LAPD
and CHP (correct me by email if I'm wrong).

Anyone who order 250 NeXT's can't be too bad :-)
--
                                          _____   ____
Art Isbell                 |\   |  HELP!  |    |  |   \    315 Moon Meadow Lane

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (06/29/91)

r l reid  writes
> In article <593@daily-planet.concordia.ca> stefanos@concour.cs.concordia.ca
(KIAKAS stefanos) writes:
> >   the article mentions that NeXT beat Sun for an order by Los Angeles
> >   County Sheriff's department for 250 computers.
>
> They oughta make them a beta test site - they're good at beating on
> things...

Now, now--that was the LAPD, not the Sheriff's department.  I'm sure the
L.A. Sheriffs are very nice people.  I'm sure of it.

--
 Glenn Reid        			NeXTMail: glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us
 RightBrain Software			..{adobe,next}!heaven!glenn