[comp.sys.next] Lotus Improv has arrived!

TIMBUCK@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU (Timothy Buck) (06/28/91)

I posted a note a few weeks ago reporting what I learned when I called
NeXT to ask where my Lotus Improv was.  Well, they didn't lie to me;
they told me it would get to my by the end of June and I received it
yesterday!

I'm glad my confidence in NeXT wasn't shaken by another stall.

 Timothy Buck
      timbuck@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu (preferred), jbuck@vtssi.vt.edu,
  OR  Tim.Buck@bbs.oit.unc.edu

tjb@cube.unh.edu.mu.edu (06/28/91)

In article <9106271909.AA04968@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> TIMBUCK@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU
(Timothy Buck) writes:
> I posted a note a few weeks ago reporting what I learned when I called
> NeXT to ask where my Lotus Improv was.  Well, they didn't lie to me;
> they told me it would get to my by the end of June and I received it
> yesterday!
>
> I'm glad my confidence in NeXT wasn't shaken by another stall.
>

>  Timothy Buck
>       timbuck@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu (preferred), jbuck@vtssi.vt.edu,
>   OR  Tim.Buck@bbs.oit.unc.edu

I also got a note from NeXT after my posting (~ 1 1/2 weeks ago) about Improv
that said it was shipping at the end of that week.  A week later it was waiting
in my post office box.  Interestingly enough, today I also received two copies
(in one package) of the NeXTstep Advantage brochure.  (It's nice.)  I wonder if
I got it as part of the "Welcome Package" for my '040 upgrade, or someone at
NeXT saw my posting about not being able to print it on any of my (DEC)
postscript printers?  (I ftp'd one copy from nova.cc and one from cs.orst with
the same results...I also tried putting a %!\n at the beginning of the files as
someone suggested but still nada)

Two copies was great too because I can keep one at work (to aid in my
tireless(?) attepmts to push NeXT on campus) and one at home.  Thanks NeXT!

tjb
| Thomas Baker                           Voice: (603) 743-4987      |
| P.O. Box 213                  Internet/NeXTmail: tjb@cube.unh.edu |
| Durham, NH 03824           "Take my independant point of view..." |

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (06/29/91)

Thomas Baker writes

> I got it as part of the "Welcome Package" for my '040 upgrade, or someone at
> NeXT saw my posting about not being able to print it on any of my (DEC)
> postscript printers? (I ftp'd one copy from nova.cc and one from cs.orst with
> the same results.I also tried putting a %!\n at the beginning of the files as
> someone suggested but still nada)

DEC printers have some non-standard features compared to most other
PostScript printers.  Non-standard in a strictly standard, by-the-book
sort of way, as DEC will do.

If you download (with lpr) the error handler found in
/usr/lib/transcript/ehandler.ps (on your NeXT) before you send the job
to the printer, you should get a printout that gives you the PostScript
error.  If you mail that error message to me, I might be able to help
you fix the problem.

--
 Glenn Reid        			NeXTMail: glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us
 RightBrain Software			..{adobe,next}!heaven!glenn