[comp.sys.next] Will NeXT invest on low cost inkjet printer?

yjwu@unix.cie.rpi.edu (Yeun-Jung Wu) (06/29/91)

	The title is self-explained: Since the inkjet printer is readily
available on PC and McIntosh, I just wonder whether NeXT is going to have
similar approach? Surely it will become popular among academic world since it
is the only thing a poor student can afford, isn't it?

Yeun-Jung Wu

yjwu@unix.cie.rpi.edu
Physics Department and Center for Integrated Electronics
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Troy, NY 12180

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) (06/30/91)

In article <x6hl9+r@rpi.edu> yjwu@unix.cie.rpi.edu (Yeun-Jung Wu) writes:
>	The title is self-explained: Since the inkjet printer is readily
>available on PC and McIntosh, I just wonder whether NeXT is going to have
>similar approach? Surely it will become popular among academic world since it
>is the only thing a poor student can afford, isn't it?

Yes, it is true that poor students cannot afford laser printers, even the
(fairly) cheap NeXT laser printer.  Although many candidates exist, NeXT
has given no indication that it is interested in selling a low-end printer.
When I asked this question of a NeXT employee, the answer was "Do you think
NeXT should develop products instead of devlopers?"  (Paraphrased)
My answer:  Obviously not.  But including a little bit more support in the OS
to facilitate alternate printers would be really great.  An HP DeskJet 500
is $500 and prints at 300 dpi.  My NeXT could *easily* drive one through a
serial port, but the software doesn't exist.
(By the way:  Sun, a big competitor of NeXT, has just such a product.
 It's called NeWSprint and makes it EASY to write drivers for lots and lots
 of different printers.)

(My advice:  Throw money at EPS until he agrees to write and support such
 a driver.  :) )

-
-John H. Osborn
-osborn@cs.utexas.edu