[comp.sys.next] Open Panel display

eahb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (Edwin Blackwood) (06/26/91)

Keywords:open panel gray'ed out

While this is not a critical issue, I need help figuring it out.  On my
machine, when I run an application and bring up the open panel, the only
names which show up are those with valid extensions, or UNIX sub-directories.
However, on other machines, I often notice that ALL the files/directories
show up, BUT the invalid ones are gray'ed out.  This happens with the same
app, running on different machines.  I suspect this might be a preference
or something but I can't find it in any documentation.

Thanks for any help.

Ed Blackwood
eahb@visus.com

Software Engineer: Visual Understanding Systems, Inc. (VISUS).  Developers of
PaperSight - the only integrated document image management system for the NeXT

aozer@next.com (Ali Ozer) (06/30/91)

In article <13638@pt.cs.cmu.edu> eahb@vi.ri.cmu.edu (Edwin Blackwood) writes:
>While this is not a critical issue, I need help figuring it out.  On my
>machine, when I run an application and bring up the open panel, the only
>names which show up are those with valid extensions, or UNIX sub-directories.
>However, on other machines, I often notice that ALL the files/directories
>show up, BUT the invalid ones are gray'ed out.

The "Large File System" button in Preferences is responsible for the
difference.  On large (and slow) file systems, having the invalid files
show up as gray (rather than not show up) means that the OpenPanel does not
have to stat all the files in a directory before it can show the
browser column.

Ali, Ali_Ozer@NeXT.com