[comp.sys.next] Kermit problems

dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) (05/13/91)

  I finally got sick of tip and downloaded kermit binary from the purdue
site's 1.0-release directory. I'm running a slab with 2.1. I can connect
to other systems fine (doing that now), but I can't upload or download files
at all! I get timeouts in either direction. Could someone send me some
info on how to use kermit (indeeed on whether I can use this version with
my system at all ;-)...? I'll be happy to provide more info via email, but
I've never used kermit before and have been going via the 'help' info....
--
/ Nik Gervae aka dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu | "It'll be finished next week, \
| CS/Linguistics stud. & NeRD at UM (go blow) | I promise!"--me               |

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/13/91)

In article <1991May12.170244.12119@engin.umich.edu>
           dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) writes:
>   I finally got sick of tip and downloaded kermit binary from the purdue
> site's 1.0-release directory. I'm running a slab with 2.1. I can connect
> to other systems fine (doing that now), but I can't upload or download files
> at all! I get timeouts in either direction.

Having just tangled with kermit locally, I'd be willing to help.  Let me know
if nobody else steps up with solutions to your problems.  The problem may not
be with kermit per se, but with the place you are kermitting to (or the path
you are using to get there).

If the transfer doesn't even start (even though normal communications are
working ok), then it sounds like something in the file transfer parameters is
getting botched up

Which version of kermit are you running?  I've got version 5A (170) on my NeXT
machine, and I needed to build the same version on our local AIX370 machine to
get around some file transfer problems.

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer                       (handles NeXT-type mail)
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute;  Troy NY  USA

gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) (05/13/91)

In article <lf.ha0l@rpi.edu>
           gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu (Garance A. Drosehn) writes:
  [a bunch of ramblings on kermit]

Whoops, I meant to mail that as a message, not an article.  Apologies...

 -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Garance Alistair Drosehn   = gad@rpi.edu  or  gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu

dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) (05/14/91)

  Thanks to all for the help on kermit. There've been local problems too
so I haven't been able to rn for 2 days, nor post for 1--sometimes the
chaos on this school's net pisses me off....

  I'm back in action now, though.

--
/ Nik Gervae aka dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu | "It'll be finished next week, \
| CS/Linguistics stud. & NeRD at UM (go blow) | I promise!"--me               |
|                                             |                               |
| **When all else fails, bug someone who      | "Just say an iguana chewed    |
\   knows (not me!).                          | up your textbook."--Jason Fox /

rich@VAXKILLER.AGI.ORG (Richard E. Showalter) (05/15/91)

I am also having a problem with kermit 5A on the NeXT.  It seems that
if I am logged in as root (I know this is not a good thing) or if I
am logged in a a user (a good thing) I can not send or recieve files
using kermit to a MacII hooked to one of the serial ports and using
Versaterm as a VT100 terminal.  But, if I log in as another user
which happens to have its home dir on an external disk drive Kermit
works fine.  The only thing similar about the root account and the
first user account is that both home directories are on the internal
drive.  Does this make sense?  It doesn't seem to affect any other
user account that I have so I have not been too upset about it but
maybe it is a bug that others should be made aware of.

Rich Showalter
SysAdmin
Agouron Institute
rich@vaxkiller.agi.org

seung@guardian.cs.psu.edu (Gueesang Lee) (06/12/91)

Hi, I recently purchased Next Station 105MB system and
trying a Hayes compatible modem with kermit.

I could connect to annex port and login to remote machine,
but I could not return to kermit.

Kermit says that the escape character is CTRL-\ followed by
c.

   But CTRL-\ does not work at all. Someone
   suggested using CTRL-{, I tried it, it only clears the
   screen. Nothing else. I tried other keys, but nothing
   worked.

Does anyone has an idea what is happening here?
I hope it is just a problem of locating the correct key.

I would appreciate any help from you.
Thanks in advance.

seung@cs.psu.edu

barnett@paintbrush.aca.mcc.com (Jim Barnett) (06/30/91)

I can download files from the school computer to my slab at home, but
cannot send files from the slab - each packet is retransmitted, and
there is finally an "unimplemented server function" error.

I'm using the binaries kermit5a.170.bin20 from one the archives. The
errors occur whether I let the parity default (to "none") on both
machines or set it to even, and whether or not I set the file type
appropriately (to "binary" or "text".)

If I understand the prompt correctly, the university's computer is
running C-kermit 4E(072). Is there some sort of a version
incompatibility?  Any suggestions?

  Thanks,

Jim