[comp.sys.next] co-Xist

greg@sif.claremont.edu (Tigger) (06/27/91)

We are currently looking at workstation options for a new professor in
our math department.  Most of his classes will be running on a Sun, with
some work also probably being done on our VAX/VMS system.  One of the
requirements for his workstation, therefore, is that it run X.  In
addition to a couple of more traditional workstations (DEC, Sun), we are
considering getting him a NeXT, probably a NeXTstation Color.  What we're
looking for at this point is comments from anyone who has experience
running X clients from remote machines using co-Xist (or any of the other
NeXT X-Windows software, for that matter).  We're primarily talking about
OpenLook apps from a Sun and DECwindows apps from a VMS machine.

Given the nature of X, these clients should theoretically run on the NeXT
regardless of which window manager is being used, but since when did
something work the way it was supposed to?  I also understand that the
window manager can run on a remote machine, with co-Xist supplying *just*
the bare X server.  So we could run the OpenLook or DECwindows window
manager on the host machine, avoiding any incompatibilities with whatever
window manager would normally run on the NeXT, right?

If that works, can multiple window managers running on multiple remote
hosts share the same local X server?  Could we have an OpenLook window
manager running on our Sun and a DECwindows window manager running on the
VAX simultaneously share the co-Xist window on the NeXT?  Or would that
create problems with the two window managers not knowing about the other
and what it was doing?

Any comments at all will be greatly appreciated.

Greg Orman                                   greg@pomona.claremont.edu
Systems Manager                              greg@pomona.bitnet
Seaver Academic Computing Services
Pomona College                               Standard disclaimer-type stuff

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (07/01/91)

In article <1991Jun26.190933.1@sif.claremont.edu>, greg@sif.claremont.edu (Tigger) writes:

> [...looking for a workstation...]  One of the requirements for his
> workstation, therefore, is that it run X.  In addition to [...], we
> are considering getting him a NeXT, probably a NeXTstation Color.
> [...] experience running X clients from remote machines using co-Xist
> (or any of the other NeXT X-Windows software, for that matter).

I have used Mouse-X with nothing but the server running on the NeXT; it
worked as well as could be expected.  (That is, the problems with it
were things that couldn't be avoided, like the wretchedly impoverished
keyboard and clients that didn't like a 2-bit StaticGray visual.)

Mouse-X does not, as far as I know, run on a color NeXT yet.  (There is
someone working on this.  I haven't heard from him in quite a while,
but last I heard he'd gotten it mostly working and just had a couple of
glitches left.)

I have been told that co-Xist runs on a color NeXT fine, but provides
only the same 2-bit StaticGray visual.  I do not know whether Pencom
has released a color version, or if not whether or when they intend to.

> I also understand that the window manager can run on a remote
> machine, with co-Xist supplying *just* the bare X server.

Yes.  I have run Mouse-X this way.

> So we could run the OpenLook or DECwindows window manager on the host
> machine, avoiding any incompatibilities with whatever window manager
> would normally run on the NeXT, right?

Certainly.  However, the window manager may get upset over the 2-bit
visual, and if you use Mouse-X, over the two-button pointer device.

> If that works, can multiple window managers running on multiple
> remote hosts share the same local X server?

No, no more than they can for any X server.  At most one window manager
per display (and generally speaking, one display per server.)

> Could we have an OpenLook window manager running on our Sun and a
> DECwindows window manager running on the VAX simultaneously share the
> co-Xist window on the NeXT?

No.  Most likely the one you start second will complain about something
(probably a BadAccess error from a grab) and die.  If they do both
start up successfully, I shudder to think of the struggles they could
get into over various resources....

However, you could run multiple servers.  With Mouse-X, this is a bit
tricky, but should be doable (I haven't tried it), though you may be
unable to use the front-end except for the first one.  With co-Xist, I
naturally don't know, but would hope it would be doable.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu