[comp.sys.next] NeXTs for Animation?

mcn@acl.lanl.gov (Michael Neuman) (07/01/91)

I'm looking at a variety of systems to purchase for a home workstation. I'll
be needing it mainly to visualize scientific data as well as for general
programming. Thusfar, I've been considering NeXT, SGI, and SUN.

One of the most important features (aside from computational power and Unix
compatibility) is the systems ability to produce animations. By this, I mean
availability of animation & titling software, as well as if it's any good!

Taking a look at the NeXT versus the SGI or the SUN, it's easy to say that
the NeXT is inferior, but for the price, the NeXT really outperforms the
other two (on a $ per MIP basis).

Has anyone produced animations on the NeXTstation color/monochrome? If so,
did you find the machine easy to use? Were the animations as good as you
hoped them to be? Did you find anything that you wished was better? How long
does it take to ray trace/phong shade/etc. an image?

Thanks!

-Mike Neuman
mcn@acl.lanl.gov
Advanced Computing Laboratory
Los Alamos National Labs

gmk@ucsc.edu (Gottfried Mayer-Kress) (07/01/91)

In article <26798@beta.gov> mcn@acl.lanl.gov (Michael Neuman) writes:
> I'm looking at a variety of systems to purchase for a home workstation. I'll
> be needing it mainly to visualize scientific data as well as for general
> programming. Thusfar, I've been considering NeXT, SGI, and SUN.
>
> One of the most important features (aside from computational power and Unix
> compatibility) is the systems ability to produce animations. By this, I mean
> availability of animation & titling software, as well as if it's any good!

I am currently display a sequence of .tiff frames from the Los Alamos
Global Circulation Model simulation using the animation facility of the
IconTool.
I record it through the ScreenScape tool. Titling I do in a combination of
WriteNow/TopDraw and ScreenScape. I think it works very well. I can only
compare it to the SGI and it seems to be much more cumbersome there.
The NeXT applications are really nicely integrated.

One general problem seems to be memory requirements: I animate 354*298
tiff files and at 300k each these limits me in how many frames I can
animate smoothly. For video recording I could also use the gif format
and save a factor 15-30 but ViewGif2 does not have a good
animation option (the slideshow doesn't do it really).
So I was curious if there is a way to animate images in TV quality more
efficiently.

--
Gottfried Mayer-Kress

gmk@goshawk.lanl.gov