[biz.comp.software] AKCS **SALE** - Get the best BBS/conferencing software for LESS!

         ****** SALE ******  ****** SALE ******  ****** SALE ******

				AKCS(tm) V6.3

			  "Get the best -- for less!"

  Now as low as $79.00 (for individuals)!  Read on to find out how YOU
  can get the best at our LOW SALE PRICE!  This offer won't last long
	                      ORDER TODAY!

AKCS is a threaded BBS/conferencing package with extraordinary versatility,
ease of use, performance and support.  AKCS is the answer to your computer
conferencing needs, whether you be a corporate or individual user.

You deserve nothing less than the best.  MCS and AKCS deliver it to your
system's users every time.

NOW, for a limited time, get AKCS V6.3 for LESS than ever before.  Our new
pricing plans make it possible for individuals to own the best in computer
conferencing and bbs software for less than you thought possible.

In addition, you may pre-order Version 7 now, which is scheduled for
release October 1.  Version 7 adds a number of features, including:

	o Increased performance.
	o A new version of the internal editor.
	o 1024-conference capability (V6.3 limit is 100 conferences).
	o Conference grouping for easy maneuvering.
	o Enhanced Usenet linkage.
	o Enhanced manintenance utilities.
	o Enhanced accounting and charge capabilities.
	o "Redlining" capability for fast summarization.
	o Much, much more!

All versions include our Usenet interface kit for exchange of information
with the Usenet newsgroup structure.

--- (Feature list follows price information)

AKCS Binary License Pricing

AKCS is available in two versions at the present time.  We are currently
accepting orders for both V6.3 (currently shipping) and Version 7
(will ship October 1, 1989).

Two classifications are applicable.  If you are an INDIVIDUAL, you may
order our "limited support" copy of AKCS.  This copy contains the SAME
software as the "full support" version, but has support limited to
electronic mail and electronic pickup of new versions as they become
available.

"Full support" versions are elegible for our full support services,
including telephone and email support, as well as shipment of newer
versions as they become available.  These versions are available to
commercial and educational sites as well as individuals.

All prior versions of AKCS under software support may be upgraded to
V7 when it is released.  The upgrade cost will be the difference in
the prevailing list price at the time the upgrade is released.  Both
versions are also elegible to receive our "sysadmin" conference for
AKCS administrators.

*** All licenses are for single CPU.  LANs higher; please call ***

VERSION 6.3 PRICING

System 		INDIVIDUAL 	Annual		COMMERCIAL	Annual
Classification	LICENSE		Support		LICENSE 	Support
		(LTD SUPPORT)			(FULL SUPRT)
A (80286, 3b1)	 $79.00		$25.00		$149.00 	$60.00
B (80386,
   3b2/3xx, 4xx	 $99.00		$30.00		$249.00 	$60.00
C 3b2/500+	$149.00		$50.00		$399.00 	$95.00
D (CALL)

VERSION 7 PRICING

System 		INDIVIDUAL 	Annual		COMMERCIAL	Annual
Classification	LICENSE		Support		LICENSE		Support
		(LTD SUPPORT)			(FULL SUPRT)
A (80286, 3b1)	 $119.00	$25.00		$199.00 	 $60.00
B (80386,
   3b2/3xx, 4xx	 $149.00	$30.00		$299.00 	 $75.00
C 3b2/500+	 $199.00	$50.00		$499.00 	$125.00

CALL TODAY -- 312/566-8910 -- to place your order or ask questions.
We're here to serve you.

-- Feature list

Some key features of AKCS V6.3 are:

o  All displayed internal messages, commands, and options are redefinable
   to suit your needs.  If you don't like the supplied configurations,
   change them!  This feature makes foreign language support and specialized
   applications a snap -- edit the config files and AKCS does the rest.

o  Fully threaded operation keeps responses to an item with their parent(s),
   making it much easier to follow discussions.

o  Video attribute capability allows you to define attributes such as
   highlighted text, blink, reverse video and underline as you wish in
   order to accent presentation of information.  Terminal independance
   means your users will see what you intend -- regardless of their
   terminal or emulation capability! (requests which are not supported
   on a user terminal type are simply ignored).

o  Private mailer functions are integrated into the captive environment.
   Now captive, secure AKCS users can have access to Unix inter and
   intra-site email!  Integrates seamlessly with Smail 3.0 (available from
   MCS for a media fee, with or without AKCS) to provide intelligent
   routing and delivery services.

o  Attached files are supported, permitting the inclusion of lenghty (or
   binary) files easily with AKCS postings.   Uses any number of external
   protocols, and batches files for protocols that can handle the required
   conventions required (ie: kermit, zmodem, etc).

o  Full-screen editor support with context display for users who have
   cursor-mapped terminals.  Your user-defined item and response separator
   formats are preserved while viewing the context window.  Full help is
   available while in the editor -- greatly shortening the learning curve.

o  Extensible command set, including privilege mask capabilities so you can
   allow or deny individial commands to users based on your preferences and
   needs.  AKCS can handle "calling out" to external programs as well
   without hassle, and is capable of passing security information to those
   packages for your own accounting and security use.

o  Redefinable configurations, with any number supported.  This allows
   the user to choose the "personality" he or she likes best!  In addition,
   a number of user preferences are able to be chosen by each individual
   user and saved permanently -- users can "customize" the AKCS environment
   to suit their own preferences even beyond that which the administrator
   provides!

o  Will operate in a sublogin ("chroot"ed area).  AKCS has no fixed
   installation point requirements -- you define where it installs and the
   group it executes under during the installation process.

There are many, many more features available in AKCS -- too many to
conveniently list here.  The best way to experience the power of AKCS is to
call our AKCS demonstration site listed below.

AKCS licensees are eligible to receive any or all of our currently linked
conferences, providing you are willing to poll our organizations' equipment.
We have several conferences which are of wide-area interest available on
request to all AKCS sites.

Excellent support is our hallmark.  We support AKCS both before and after
the sale.  Customer suggestions often turn up in the next release -- and we
average 3-4 releases of new features and enhancements a year!  Climb aboard
today; sail into the future tomorrow.

AKCS is available NOW, in binary for the following system configurations:

	o 	SCO Xenix/286 and /386
	o 	Microport Unix SysV/286 and /386
	o 	AT&T 3b1 and 3b2 series systems

We are willing to license the Source Code to qualified firms; call for
pricing and availability.

BUY *NOW* -- and get the highest performance, best supported conferencing
solution available anywhere -- at any price!

To order or for more information, contact MCS today.

Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.
415 South East Garfield Avenue
Mundelein, IL  60060
(312) 566-8910

For a complete live demonstration of AKCS call our computer system by
modem at:
	(312) 566-8911 		24 hours a day at 300-2400 baud

(Unix is a trademark of AT&T)

len@netsys.Netsys.COM (Len Rose) (08/24/89)

Karl.. Why are you charging more for a 3B2/500 port when it's the
same binary?

Just curious..

Len

In article <15387@netsys.Netsys.COM> len@netsys.COM (Len Rose) writes:

>Karl.. Why are you charging more for a 3B2/500 port when it's the
>same binary?
>
>Just curious..
>

>Len

Simple Len -- the 500 handles more people and is more likely to generate
support headaches (who owns a 500+ personally anyway?).  Besides, the
machines listed there are representative, not all-inclusive (we'll port it
to anything that runs System V Unix for a reasonable cost; time required is
only a few hours).  The list of systems is really to give people an idea of
where their machine fits into the grand scheme of things.

Actually, there are four classifications; "D" class machines aren't included
in the sale, as I haven't seen an individual yet who owns one (these systems
typically cost >$25,000.  How many people spend that kind of money for a
non-commercial, personal, hobbyist machine?)

If you have a 3b2/500 and want to get AKCS on the cheap, buy the 300/400
version.  There's nothing in the code that limits the number of users; you
only lose optimization for the faster processor.

They are _not_ the same binary.  Yes, you could buy a 300/400 version
and run it; it would likely work and I won't complain until and unless you
have a problem I can't duplicate on a 300 or 400 series machine - then you
are out of luck.  The 3b2/500 version is different, it requires at least
a 32100 to run (and will NOT work on a 300 series machine), and optionally
it can be shipped with MAU support enabled.

The 3b2/300 & 400 version is built for a vanilla 32000, no MAU, and will run
on all 3b2 series machines that I am aware of -- albiet not at full speed.
The 500 version would probably run on a 400 (but hasn't been checked out).

Our new scheduling allows people who personally own machines to get the
software at a very low cost, although taking that option sacrifices some of
the support.  Commercial sites don't have that option, as we feel that if
you are running a business and using AKCS it is not reasonable to forego
full support services. (If you disagree, have an employee buy the software
personally.)  It is now the individual's choice whether to pay for services
they may or may not want.  For those people who don't think that being able
to yank on our chain over the phone (and get bugs fixed within 24 hours most
of the time) is important and worth money, we now offer a much less
expensive alternative.  Those customers can actually pester us on the phone
and the like, but they will be charged on a pay-as-you-go basis, including
mailed updates and such.  Purchasing the commercial version waives that cost.

The choice is yours.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]

len@netsys.Netsys.COM (Len Rose) (08/25/89)

So in other words, all you're doing is compiling with a newer generation
compiler, that also possibly uses the mau .. This of course means that it
will run on a 310,400 since all of these machines have 32100's in them.

Well..it's a nice price for the quality of software I've seen so far..
If I lived in a "pursuitable" area I might open my system up.. Oh well.

Len