[net.auto] Mustangs and GTIs

thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill) (02/20/86)

It has been interesting reading Chuck's flames about GTI's.  I own a GTI
and I have never thought of it as a sports car.  After driving a 1978
rabbit (absolutely no power) I bought the GTI because I like the old rabbit
body style and I wanted something that could do 65+ w/o the struts bouncing.
Now for the story...

I was driving home late one night on a 50mph highway next to where I work
and got stopped at a light behind a 82 (or so) Mustang.  It was raining
and it was pretty slick since it hadn't rained for a few weeks.  When the
light turned the Mustang took off and I started but before I reached 50
the Mustang was going slower than the speed limit so I moved over into the
right lane (2 lanes each way) and slowly passed him (and his high school
friends) while doing the speed limit.  A few seconds later he comes roaring
past as if he just achieved some great feat of manhood.  I was feeling pretty
mellow after having had a good workout and a greasy burger so I just shrugged
and watched him go.

Well, a half mile later I am still going 50 (remember the rain) and I catch
up to him and again I pass him.  Once again I saw him start to punch it
only this time he was going to do a "cruise by", having some (but not much)
pride I decided to make him work for it so I pressed the gas.  He noticed
that he wasn't gaining on me so once again he romped on it and went flying
past.  I had maybe reached 60-62 and he had reached around 70.  Of course
I dropped my speed back down to 50 after having my bunny stepped on by a
horse and knowing full well that there was a dog-leg right followed by a dog-
leg left coming up :-).

I watched him go into the turn but unfortunately for him he hadn't slowed
down and I saw his break lights go on as he entered the first dog-leg.
Naturally it was already too late or I wouldn't be telling this story :-).
He started sliding but I lost sight of him because of a guardrail on the
right, however, I did see his headlights spin so I knew he didn't make it.
when I came around the first curve there he was rear ended in a ditch at a
35 degree angle with his lights peeping up over the edge of the highway.
I honked and waved and I have been laughing ever since.

		SOMETIMES THE NICE GUY WINS,

				Tom Hill

PS. BEEP BEEP, bye chuck   :-)

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (02/24/86)

In article <487@ssc-bee.UUCP> thill@ssc-bee.UUCP writes:
>It has been interesting reading Chuck's flames about GTI's.  I own a GTI
>and I have never thought of it as a sports car.  After driving a 1978
>rabbit (absolutely no power) I bought the GTI because I like the old rabbit
>body style and I wanted something that could do 65+ w/o the struts bouncing.
>Now for the story...
>I watched him go into the turn but unfortunately for him he hadn't slowed
>down and I saw his break lights go on as he entered the first dog-leg.
>Naturally it was already too late or I wouldn't be telling this story :-).
>He started sliding but I lost sight of him because of a guardrail on the
>right, however, I did see his headlights spin so I knew he didn't make it.
>when I came around the first curve there he was rear ended in a ditch at a
>35 degree angle with his lights peeping up over the edge of the highway.
>I honked and waved and I have been laughing ever since.
>
>		SOMETIMES THE NICE GUY WINS,
>
>				Tom Hill

I wrote the original Mustang article, so I suppose in a way I'm responsible for
a good percentage of recent net traffic, if indirectly so.  However, our site
(boo hoo hoo) has NOT gotten more than maybe two of the GT/GTI battle reports,
and I feel very bad when I see an article float by which makes references to
some obviously interesting reading that I've missed.  So, I thought I'd throw
my own thoughts out to the...the, uh....masses, as it were.

First, a quick update on the GT's status.  It went back to the shop 4 days
later due to carbon deposits and astronomical fuel consumption (~9mpg) and
quickly returned from the shop...there was a leak in the vacuum system and so
the EEC-IV was getting false readings.  Also, they replaced a buzzing speaker.
BTW, the 0-60 times are down to 6.2 with one passenger, still shifting low
at around 5000.

Secondly, I must say that the GTI drivers who have been posting have been very,
well no, make that unbelievably mild in their defenses.  On the other hand,
this seems to be raising great consternation among my fellow cubic-inches
fanatics, and I think I'll leave it at that.

Nice story, Tom; I'm not certain whether to take it as an observation about
Mustang drivers in general, or about the mentality of high-school evening
road-cruisers.  It is, however, amusing to bait them and haul them out onto
that twisty road that You know like the back of your hand.  So far I haven't
been as lucky; they just give up after the hard right on Glen Rd.  You get a
different perspective of the world when you're flying around 90 on an undivided
and shoulderless road that started life as a horse path.  BTW, there wasn't a
true performance option on the '82 Mustang; the GT package was introduced in
'83, with the quadrashocking-and-engine-mods in '85.

But, just in case you WERE reflecting upon Mustang drivers :-), I probably
should sneak in the observation that Scirocco drivers are also prone to the
same annoying habits.  Yep, there I was, pottering along in the '83 T-bird
(5.0L V8, auto trans) returning in mild drizzle from the DC Auto Show, when
this Scirocco decides that he doesn't like to be passed in the right lane.
Let me see, I was carrying 4 passengers in a car built for one less, and he
was only carrying one.  Didn't help him too much, though, since I don't like
to be passed in the right lane either.  So there we were, the passengers in
back with their necks craned all the way around to watch him recede into the
distance.  I'm sorry, guys, but I blew it when I-495 splits into two, and
somewhere on that exit ramp, I became extremely unhappy with the Michelins.
Pumping brakes wasn't going to slow me down for the turn, and I hadn't
discovered trail-braking yet.  So what did I do?  That's right: I panicked,
and decided to try locking brakes to see which way I'd end up facing.  Despite
Consumer Reports' claim that the front brakes lock first, my rear end locked
(as it has before), swung wide, and pointed me....right where I wanted to be.
Unfortunately, the time lost in that maneuver was enough for Mr. Scirocco to
make up a lot of distance, and we ended in a draw behind a long string of cars.

I'm becoming a believer in 4wd now.  BTW, he wouldn't follow me onto another
of the local back-roads.  Drats.

So, what was the appropriate thing to do on a wet ramp?

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

"Godzilla has been spotted in Sector 5!"

vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC) (02/24/86)

reply to: thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill)

>It has been interesting reading Chuck's flames about GTI's.  I own a GTI
>and I have never thought of it as a sports car.  After driving a 1978
>rabbit (absolutely no power) I bought the GTI because I like the old rabbit
>body style and I wanted something that could do 65+ w/o the struts bouncing.
>Now for the story...

>I was driving home late one night on a 50mph highway next to where I work
>and got stopped at a light behind a 82 (or so) Mustang.  It was raining
>and it was pretty slick since it hadn't rained for a few weeks.  When the
>light turned the Mustang took off and I started but before I reached 50
>the Mustang was going slower than the speed limit so I moved over into the
>right lane (2 lanes each way) and slowly passed him (and his high school
>friends) while doing the speed limit.  A few seconds later he comes roaring
>past as if he just achieved some great feat of manhood.  I was feeling pretty
>mellow after having had a good workout and a greasy burger so I just shrugged
>and watched him go.
>
>Well, a half mile later I am still going 50 (remember the rain) and I catch
>up to him and again I pass him.  Once again I saw him start to punch it
>only this time he was going to do a "cruise by", having some (but not much)
>pride I decided to make him work for it so I pressed the gas.  He noticed
>that he wasn't gaining on me so once again he romped on it and went flying
>past.  I had maybe reached 60-62 and he had reached around 70.  Of course
>I dropped my speed back down to 50 after having my bunny stepped on by a
>horse and knowing full well that there was a dog-leg right followed by a dog-
>leg left coming up :-).
>
>I watched him go into the turn but unfortunately for him he hadn't slowed
>down and I saw his break lights go on as he entered the first dog-leg.
>Naturally it was already too late or I wouldn't be telling this story :-).
>He started sliding but I lost sight of him because of a guardrail on the
>right, however, I did see his headlights spin so I knew he didn't make it.
>when I came around the first curve there he was rear ended in a ditch at a
>35 degree angle with his lights peeping up over the edge of the highway.
>I honked and waved and I have been laughing ever since.
>
>		SOMETIMES THE NICE GUY WINS,
>
>				Tom Hill
>

>PS. BEEP BEEP, bye chuck   :-)

Gee , everyone has been so nice to me lately , kinda makes me feel like
I been slack'in off a bit. (praise Mad Max).
Its been almost a week since I tore apart a VW owner; however I did
get to help a friend remove a diesel engine from a rabbit, I was
horsing around and broke one of the side windows with a 2x4. I really
released a lot of hostility on that car. The next step is the crusher.
If anyone out there wants wabbit parts at very good discount let me know.

In answer to you Tom ; Yea,sometimes the nice guy wins. The guy driving the
mustang sounds like a dolt anyway. Considering the road conditions he
should have known better. Consider the words "high school" and "sense"
used in the same sentence as a contradiction of terms. I raised hell in
high school (not that would be obvious).

A question for all you fanatics: if VW calls them rabbits, why did
they put a wolf on the steering wheel?

chuck gerarden
ihnp4!drutx!druhi!vuser

gti@ihlpm.UUCP (Phelps) (02/25/86)

> reply to: thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill)
>

> >It has been interesting reading Chuck's flames about GTI's.  I own a GTI
> >and I have never thought of it as a sports car.  After driving a 1978
> >rabbit (absolutely no power) I bought the GTI because I like the old rabbit
> >body style and I wanted something that could do 65+ w/o the struts bouncing.
> >Now for the story...

  Your right... the GTI is not a sports car. Most all GTI owners
would not assume so. Only Chuck seems to be hung up on this. Who is
this guy anyways that has such a violent attitude toward a car. Must
have gotten beat by a GTI some time ago?

> [...]
>

> Gee , everyone has been so nice to me lately , kinda makes me feel like
> I been slack'in off a bit. (praise Mad Max).
> Its been almost a week since I tore apart a VW owner; however I did
> get to help a friend remove a diesel engine from a rabbit, I was
> horsing around and broke one of the side windows with a 2x4. I really
> released a lot of hostility on that car. The next step is the crusher.
> If anyone out there wants wabbit parts at very good discount let me know.
>
> In answer to you Tom ; Yea,sometimes the nice guy wins. The guy driving the
> mustang sounds like a dolt anyway. Considering the road conditions he
> should have known better. Consider the words "high school" and "sense"
> used in the same sentence as a contradiction of terms. I raised hell in
> high school (not that would be obvious).
>
> A question for all you fanatics: if VW calls them rabbits, why did

 Chuck...I believe you may be refering to the Wolfsburg symbol on
some VW's. That is where some Rabbits are made...Wolfsburg Germany.
Why you would bring up such a benign gripe when you do not even know
what the hell it is all about, is beyond me.BIG DEAL!

> [...]

> and decided to try locking brakes to see which way I'd end up facing.  Despite
> Consumer Reports' claim that the front brakes lock first, my rear end locked
> (as it has before), swung wide, and pointed me....right where I wanted to be.
> Unfortunately, the time lost in that maneuver was enough for Mr. Scirocco to
> make up a lot of distance, and we ended in a draw behind a long string of cars.
>
> I'm becoming a believer in 4wd now.  BTW, he wouldn't follow me onto another
> of the local back-roads.  Drats.
>
> So, what was the appropriate thing to do on a wet ramp?
>
> -dave
> --
> David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
> <disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742
> hsu@eneevax.umd.edu  {seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!eneevax!hsu
>
> "Godzilla has been spotted in Sector 5!"

 Dave...I doubt seriously that Tom was assailing Mustang drivers in
general, or Ford drivers in particular.

olds@ihlpa.UUCP (Mondeville) (02/26/86)

keywords:real driving challenges??

> >I honked and waved and I have been laughing ever since.
> >
> >		SOMETIMES THE NICE GUY WINS,
> >
> >				Tom Hill
>

> Secondly, I must say that the GTI drivers who have been posting have been very,
> well no, make that unbelievably mild in their defenses.  On the other hand,
> this seems to be raising great consternation among my fellow cubic-inches
> fanatics, and I think I'll leave it at that.
>
> Mustang drivers in general, or about the mentality of high-school evening
> road-cruisers.  It is, however, amusing to bait them and haul them out onto
> that twisty road that You know like the back of your hand.  So far I haven't
> been as lucky; they just give up after the hard right on Glen Rd.

     Yes,I found this amusing too,baiting an inexperienced young driver and
    having having the nerve to say the nice guy wins,AHHH..HA HA HA HA HA HA
    HA HA HA HA......,wins???? HA HA HA whew,that was worth a good laugh.It's
    interesting to see how some people "win" their driving challenges on this
    net.
         O.K. all you road warriors out in net land,how about some postings
    on some REAL challenges,races,etc you've had lately,and I don't mean
    beating some high school kid because he was silly enough to race in the
    rain and slide off the road.Let's get some excitement on the net again,

      I will of course start.My two best races lately have been with an '85
    mustang GT,and a '77 Trans-Am.first, the mustang.
      I have a friend here at the labs,and he owns a '85 mustang GT.This has
    been the only new car I've been in that really impressed me.Seeing that
    we both like a REAL challenge,when ever we run into each other on the
    road..it's racing time.Now I'd like to say that my car isn't exactly stock;
    under the hood pontiac 4bbl 400 V8,headers dual exhaust,Edelbrock performer
    intake manifold,hi-po ram air hi-po rear gearing so if you can't tell,my
    car flies(The point of this is to show some people what REAL horsepower
    and racing really is).Once we cleared traffic it was flat out time
    He had a jump on me so I had to make up a car,which I did and we then ran a
    tie.We hit another stretch and took off at the same time.I put a car and a
    half on him and held it for the length we raced,about 3 miles until we hit
    more traffic.Oh,top speed was 135mph on the straights(I can see alot of
    people in net land cringing now).The T A was even more fun,a tie,so we had
    to out drive each other.I won't go into detail on this part because most
    will think I'm a madman(if not already)if they knew what I mean't by all
    out driving;but you musclecar and GT drivers know don't you????
      It's intersting to note that most of wabbit,bmw,etc..,owners get bold in
    the rain,thats when they want to drive fast and race,because they can come
    off the line with their foot on the floor and not spin their tires,even on
    wet ground HEEEE HEEEE HEEE,thats when they win (those "nice guys" like
    Tom).I'm being nice in this posting so I won't pick on the "nice guys".
    I can't help but wonder though,is honking and laughing at novice drivers
    after they've spun out a real challenge???,does that really make you
    "nice guys"feel good????

     Max??,can you hear me Max??

      							E.G.Mandeville
							ihnp4!ihlpa!olds
							AT&T Bells Labs

vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC) (02/26/86)

my reply to: gti@ihlpm.UUCP (Phelps)

>  Your right... the GTI is not a sports car. Most all GTI owners
>would not assume so. Only Chuck seems to be hung up on this. Who is

Then why are all you nuts touting .85 skidpad figures,
fantastic hp/weight claims,
great handling,
"sporty interiors", (two colors at once )
pirelli p6 tires (real crap),
5 speed gearboxes,
on,and on , and on, and on, and on, and on, and on , and on ,and on ..........

Is the only thing a real sport car has over GTI's is the lack of rear seats?

>this guy anyways that has such a violent attitude toward a car. Must
>have gotten beat by a GTI some time ago?

Beat by a GTI ? , yes I admit it, I was passed by a GTI  while I was
jogging. How embarrassing.

>> A question for all you fanatics: if VW calls them rabbits, why did
>> they put a wolf on the steering wheel?
>>
>> chuck gerarden
>> ihnp4!drutx!druhi!vuser
>
> Chuck...I believe you may be refering to the Wolfsburg symbol on
>some VW's. That is where some Rabbits are made...Wolfsburg Germany.
>Why you would bring up such a benign gripe when you do not even know
>what the hell it is all about, is beyond me.BIG DEAL!

OK, I guess I dont know what it is all about. You see I dont think I
would ask such a leading question on the net about VW's unless I already
knew the answer. My impression (from fanatics) was that the wolf (or fox) on the
wheel was an AUDI part. It has nothing to do with WOLFSBURG,Germany.
A few fanatics have told me that vw used some AUDI parts on their cars.
And for your information most of (not all) vw's for the US are made in
Westmorland Pa.

where have I heard this b4.
"you do not even know what the hell it is all about, is beyond me. BIG DEAL!"

chuck gerarden
ihnp4!drutx!druhi!vuser

PS: "The best way to fight VW fanatics, is to let em fight each other"

vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC) (02/26/86)

reply: olds@ihlpa.UUCP (Mondeville)

     >Yes,I found this amusing too,baiting an inexperienced young driver and
    >having having the nerve to say the nice guy wins,AHHH..HA HA HA HA HA HA
   > HA HA HA HA......,wins???? HA HA HA whew,that was worth a good laugh.It's
   > interesting to see how some people "win" their driving challenges on this
   > net.
   >      O.K. all you road warriors out in net land,how about some postings
   > on some REAL challenges,races,etc you've had lately,and I don't mean
   > beating some high school kid because he was silly enough to race in the
   > rain and slide off the road.Let's get some excitement on the net again,

I agree, finally someone willing to tell it like it is, I am not a real fan
of muscle cars but certainly do respect them. I seem to have an understanding
with them. I dont mess with them on the street and they dont mess with me on
winding mountain roads.

I sure do enjoy hearing these  stories rather than how a new weenie-mobile
blaaaaaaasts past a couple of kids.

>      I will of course start.My two best races lately have been with an '85
>    mustang GT,and a '77 Trans-Am.first, the mustang.
>      I have a friend here at the labs,and he owns a '85 mustang GT.This has
>    been the only new car I've been in that really impressed me.Seeing that
>    we both like a REAL challenge,when ever we run into each other on the
>    road..it's racing time.Now I'd like to say that my car isn't exactly stock;
>    under the hood pontiac 4bbl 400 V8,headers dual exhaust,Edelbrock performer
>    intake manifold,hi-po ram air hi-po rear gearing so if you can't tell,my
>    car flies(The point of this is to show some people what REAL horsepower
>    and racing really is).Once we cleared traffic it was flat out time
>    He had a jump on me so I had to make up a car,which I did and we then ran a
>    tie.We hit another stretch and took off at the same time.I put a car and a
>    half on him and held it for the length we raced,about 3 miles until we hit
>    more traffic.Oh,top speed was 135mph on the straights(I can see alot of
>    people in net land cringing now).The T A was even more fun,a tie,so we had

I can understand why they would, how many econo-boxes go over 100mph?

>    to out drive each other.I won't go into detail on this part because most
>    will think I'm a madman(if not already)if they knew what I mean't by all
>    out driving;but you musclecar and GT drivers know don't you????

of course not!

>      It's intersting to note that most of wabbit,bmw,etc..,owners get bold in
>    the rain,thats when they want to drive fast and race,because they can come
>    off the line with their foot on the floor and not spin their tires,even on
>    wet ground HEEEE HEEEE HEEE,thats when they win (those "nice guys" like
>    Tom).I'm being nice in this posting so I won't pick on the "nice guys".
>    I can't help but wonder though,is honking and laughing at novice drivers
>    after they've spun out a real challenge???,does that really make you
>    "nice guys"feel good????
>

>     Max??,can you hear me Max??
	Hello delta xray?

>      							E.G.Mandeville
>							ihnp4!ihlpa!olds
>							AT&T Bells Labs

chuck gerarden
ihnp4!drutx!druhi!vuser

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (02/26/86)

In article <158@druhi.UUCP> vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC) writes:

>>  You're right... the GTI is not a sports car. Most all GTI owners
>>would not assume so. Only Chuck seems to be hung up on this. Who is
>
>Then why are all you nuts touting .85 skidpad figures,
>fantastic hp/weight claims, great handling, "sporty interiors", (two
>colors at once ) pirelli p6 tires (real crap), 5 speed gearboxes,
>on,and on , and on, and on, and on, and on, and on , and on ,and on ..........

OK, Chuck, get it straight: GTI is a sporty hatchback.  That means
it's allowed to have a nice interior, good performance (not amazing),
a good gearbox and nice tires.  The new GTI's have P600 tires, not P6.
They're crap?  Do you prefer Mickey Thompson Indy Specials?

>Is the only thing a real sport car has over GTI's is the lack of rear seats?

YOU said that, Chuck.  No one else did.  A real sports car (and in my
opinion a Mustang GT does not qualify either) will provide performance
without compromise.  Cars such as Cobra 427, Lotus Super 7, Porsche
911 RS, 924 Carrera GTS, and Speedster qualify as real sports cars in
my opinion.

>>> A question for all you fanatics: if VW calls them rabbits, why did
>>> they put a wolf on the steering wheel?
>>
>> Chuck...I believe you may be refering to the Wolfsburg symbol on
>>some VW's. That is where some Rabbits are made...Wolfsburg Germany.
>>Why you would bring up such a benign gripe when you do not even know
>>what the hell it is all about, is beyond me.BIG DEAL!
>
>OK, I guess I dont know what it is all about. You see I dont think I
>would ask such a leading question on the net about VW's unless I already
>knew the answer. My impression (from fanatics) was that the wolf (or fox) on the
>wheel was an AUDI part. It has nothing to do with WOLFSBURG,Germany.
>A few fanatics have told me that vw used some AUDI parts on their cars.
>And for your information most of (not all) vw's for the US are made in
>Westmorland Pa.

The Audi logo is four interrlocked rings, quite different from the
wolf.  You will not find the wolf logo on any Audi.  The logo is in
fact a (stylized) coat of arms of Wolfsburg.  Incidentally, the town
was founded on a German moor in 1936 by a certain Adolf Hitler, as
"Der Stadt den KdF-Wagen" when the VW factory construction first
began.  It subsequently was changed to Wolfsburg after a medieval
castle situated near the town.  (KdF == Kraft durch Freude == Strength
through Joy).

Most VW's for the US come from Germany -- check the sales figures,
Chuck (available weekly in Automotive News).  Combined Jetta, Quantum,
Scirocco, Vanagon and Cabriolet sales exceed the Golf sales.  There indeed
are many parts common between VW's and Audis.  It just so happens that
Audi is part of Volkswagenwerk AG, and it only makes sense to rationalize
production where possible.  The older Audi 5000's still used a
(modified) Beetle inside door handle --- why change it if it works well?

>PS: "The best way to fight VW fanatics, is to let em fight each other"

You're not having much success there, Chuck!

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

awr@panda.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (02/28/86)

In article <7849@watrose.UUCP> tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>In article <158@druhi.UUCP> vuser@druhi.UUCP (GerardenC) writes:
>>...My impression (from fanatics) was that the wolf (or fox) on the
>>wheel was an AUDI part. It has nothing to do with WOLFSBURG,Germany.
>>A few fanatics have told me that vw used some AUDI parts on their cars.
>
>The Audi logo is four interrlocked rings, quite different from the
>wolf.  You will not find the wolf logo on any Audi...

Not true.  A friend of mine had a mid-70's Audi Fox wagon with a Wolfsburg
crest on the steering wheel - no great surprise since the car was essentially
identical to the VW Dasher wagon.  Perhaps that's where 'vuser' got the idea
that the wolf was the Audi logo.

AWR

perry@techsup (03/06/86)

SO YOUR THE A**HOLE that left me sitting in that ditch with broken
ribs and a fractured ankle!

thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill) (03/14/86)

 reply: olds@ihlpa.UUCP (Mondeville)

>Yes,I found this amusing too,baiting an inexperienced young driver and
>having having the nerve to say the nice guy wins,AHHH..HA HA HA HA HA HA
> HA HA HA HA......,wins???? HA HA HA whew,that was worth a good laugh.It's
> interesting to see how some people "win" their driving challenges on this
> net.
>    wet ground HEEEE HEEEE HEEE,thats when they win (those "nice guys" like
>    Tom).I'm being nice in this posting so I won't pick on the "nice guys".
>    I can't help but wonder though,is honking and laughing at novice drivers

Who is to say he was a novice driver? Certainly not you.

>    after they've spun out a real challenge???,does that really make you
>    "nice guys"feel good????

Since I too am a novice driver, you tell me.  What is it like?

>      							E.G.Mandeville
>							ihnp4!ihlpa!olds
>							AT&T Bells Labs

Well thanks for the complement.  Leave it to every turkey on the net to
read more into a story than is really there.  You tell how you drove
like a maniac and then put me down because some other guy doesn't know
how to use the brake.

My point was, which was not well stated and which you obviously missed,
that people who think CCs are the bottom line in driving still have to
know how to drive.  Pushing the pedal to the floor doesn't mean a thing
to me.

It wasn't my fault for him putting his car in the ditch and what I did
was not baiting.  I DID NOT anticipate his inability to look 1/4 mile
down the road and see an obvious turn.  Don't get mad E.G. I happen
to like Mustangs (my preference would be a 68 Shelby Cobra).

If you can't read and enjoy an amusing story I feel sorry for you.

		Tom Hill

PS. As a coworker of mine says " the problem is that there are too many
    guys out there who see there care as an extension of their penis."

olds@ihlpa.UUCP (Mondeville) (03/18/86)

> >    wet ground HEEEE HEEEE HEEE,thats when they win (those "nice guys" like
> >    Tom).I'm being nice in this posting so I won't pick on the "nice guys".
> >    I can't help but wonder though,is honking and laughing at novice drivers
>
> Who is to say he was a novice driver? Certainly not you.

  Certainly not me??,how many experienced drivers race in the rain,I don't and

> Since I too am a novice driver, you tell me.  What is it like?
  you show you are a novice driver because you raced the GT driver(or tried to)
  and you seemed to get off on the stupidity of the other driver,that's why I
  blasted you,turkey.

> 		Tom Hill
>
> PS. As a coworker of mine says " the problem is that there are too many
   guys who think their cars are an extension of their penis"

   I assume you mean guys like....................you??????

							E.G.Mandeville
							ihnp4!ihlpa!olds
							AT&T Bell Labs