[net.auto] escalating insurance rates, insuranc

jimd@hp-pcd.UUCP (jimd) (02/27/86)

[]

	Try Geico or Liberty Mutual.  For me they are up to 50% less
	than most companies.

	One trick that works to reduce insurance rates is owning two
	cars.  This qualifies for a "multi-car discount".  In some
	cases, the insurance for two cars is cheaper than for one!
	Example:  I once looked at buying a $26K Lincoln Mark VII LSC.
	This car would cost me $1250 per year to insure with the same
	coverage mentioned in the base note (I am 28).  However, I
	own a 1975 Camaro as well, so the combination of the two cars
	each with the same coverage would have run me $950 per year.

	The VW Sirocco is not viewed politely by some insurance folks.
	Perhaps different companies view it in different light.

	I must admit, I am amazed at the rates you are paying for a VW.
	Perhaps this part of the country sports lower rates (Oregon)?

	Good luck - test drive that $200 Rambler...

	Jim Donnelly
	hplabs!hp-pcd!jimd

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (03/11/86)

In article <9200020@hpcvre.UUCP> jimd@hp-pcd.UUCP (jimd) writes:
>	Try Geico or Liberty Mutual.  For me they are up to 50% less
>	than most companies.
>
>	One trick that works to reduce insurance rates is owning two
>	cars.  This qualifies for a "multi-car discount".  In some
>	cases, the insurance for two cars is cheaper than for one!
>	Example:  I once ...

Some insurance companies have a big break when you have more cars than
drivers. ie. if you have two drivers in the family you need three cars to
get it. This is based on the theory that you can't be driving all of them
at once. I never found that more cars were cheaper to add, but if you like
to have an extra car around, it make it very cheap. Also look for big
discounts on older cars (if they are 25+ and not your primary car). Plates
and insurance on an old car can be ~$50 in NY. Some of the old supercars
are getting close and are worth hanging on to if you have one.
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
       /                               \
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
       \                               /
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (03/18/86)

In article <678@steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.UUCP (Davidsen) writes:
>In article <9200020@hpcvre.UUCP> jimd@hp-pcd.UUCP (jimd) writes:
>>	One trick that works to reduce insurance rates is owning two
>>	cars.  This qualifies for a "multi-car discount".  In some
>>	cases, the insurance for two cars is cheaper than for one!
>>	Example:  I once ...
>
>Some insurance companies have a big break when you have more cars than
>drivers. ie. if you have two drivers in the family you need three cars to
>get it. This is based on the theory that you can't be driving all of them
>at once. I never found that more cars were cheaper to add, but if you like
>--
>	-bill davidsen

	When I was under 25 years old, I had a 1970 Mustang that was in
somewhat worn condition (and 10 years old). I bought a new Capri and kept
the Mustang. My insurance agent could only charge me the under-25 rate
on one of the cars, so he charged that rate on the Mustang, which was
cheaper to insure, and the lower over-25 rate on the Capri. The result
(including the two-car discount) was that I paid less insurance on the
two cars than I would have for just the new Capri.

	If you're under 25 and have an expensive car, it might pay
for you to buy an old clunker that you don't even have to drive.

--
					--MKR

The first half of a project takes 90% of the time. The other half takes
the other 90%.