[net.auto] Distance between cars

thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill) (03/15/86)

As far as following distances go I was taught to use a 2 second interval.
Of course this isn't always practical but it seems to work very well on
the freeway.  Anybody else out there ever hear of this?

It's not a bug,
it's a roller skate!

Tom Hill

suhina@kodak.UUCP (brian suhina) (03/17/86)

I saw the 2 second rule in a gas company commercial. The Shell answer man?
No kidding!!

Brian Suhina         !rochester!kodak!suhina

scott@othervax.UUCP (Scott Pace) (03/19/86)

In article <503@ssc-bee.UUCP> thill@ssc-bee.UUCP (Tom Hill) writes:

>As far as following distances go I was taught to use a 2 second interval.
>Of course this isn't always practical but it seems to work very well on
>the freeway.  Anybody else out there ever hear of this?
>
>It's not a bug,
>it's a roller skate!
>
>Tom Hill

I was taught how to drive in England, and I heard the following phrase to
help you approximate 2 seconds:

Only a fool breaks the two second rule.

If you say this sentence (aloud) at a normal (or slightly slowed speed), about
2 seconds will have passed. It's great for helping to keep your distance on the
highway!!!

		Cheers,
		   Scott Pace		"When the going gets tough, upgrade."