[alt.next] How is NeXT working with univ's?

kean9742@neptune.uucp (Kean Stump) (10/15/88)

In article <12428@eecae.UUCP> flynn@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu writes:
>1) If it's not a secret, what schools is NeXT working with already?

23 were involved in the development work on the NeXT machine.  As far as the
distribution system is concerned, the individual schools are responsible
for setting up the distribution system and repair center for the NeXT machines
they sell.  I know that here at OSU, the OSU Bookstore is the campus
distribution center and is pretty much autonymous from NeXT, other than they
are obligated by contract to NeXT to supply service to the people they sell
the NeXT machines to for a five year period from the date of sale.  Of course,
this could have changed in two weeks, or I could have heard wrong (never!)

>2) Is this group going to expand to include additional schools any time soon?
I don't know.  Talk to the regional marketing director for your area.  How
you'll find them, I don't know either.  Call NeXT, maybe.  I saw a posting
earlier with the snail mail address of NeXT, inc. in it.

>3) Does the educational discount apply only to machines purchased BY the school
>   for the school's use, or will NeXT allow the schools to resell the machines
>   to faculty, staff, grad students... (pardon my uncontrollable drooling)

At OSU, anyone who is a faculty or staff member (me!), a full or part-time
student may buy one at the $6500.00 price.

>Pat Flynn, Dept. of Computer Sci., Mich. State U.
>flynn@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu   flynn@{eecae,frith}.UUCP     FLYNN@MSUEGR.BITNET

I have no affiliation with NeXT, other than a drooling customer.
Oregon State University                           Kean Stump
College of Oceanography "Cruise Support"          kean@cs.orst.edu
"Standard Disclaimer"                            {tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!kean