[alt.next] Ethernet?

romkey@asylum.UUCP (John Romkey) (10/14/88)

In article <1100@vsi1.UUCP> lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:
>Maybe I missed it in the press release that was posted, but I haven't seen
>any reference to ethernet connection (or any communication medium).

Apparently the system has a built-in thin ethernet port, and TCP/IP
and NFS.

>I'm also curious why anyone would want a 4 MIP machine with an 80 ms disk.
>Am I missing something obvious?

I *hope* they do some good disk caching with a chunk of the 8MB of
memory...
--
			- john romkey
UUCP: romkey@asylum.uucp		ARPA: romkey@xx.lcs.mit.edu

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (10/15/88)

>Maybe I missed it in the press release that was posted, but I haven't seen
>any reference to ethernet connection (or any communication medium).

The machine has Ethernet.  The hardware is NeXT-designed.  There's a
thin-net connector on the back of the CPU board.

>I'm also curious why anyone would want a 4 MIP machine with an 80 ms disk.
>Am I missing something obvious?

Nope.  Program startup times at the demo were noticably slow.  Once they
started, though, they were very fast.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,uunet}!mtxinu!ed    +1 415 644 0146

"I'll fight them as a woman, not a lady.  I'll fight them as an engineer."

jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (10/15/88)

In article <960@asylum.UUCP> romkey@asylum.UUCP (John Romkey) writes:
>I *hope* they do some good disk caching with a chunk of the 8MB of
>memory...

All of it that isn't being used for something else at the time.
Improved I/O performance is one of the strong points of Mach.

Jeff Siegal