[alt.next] The NeXT Problem Disk Swapping

jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (10/17/88)

In article <8326@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> wen-king@cit-vlsi.UUCP (Wen-King Su) writes:
>I am curious about how one might remove the disk containing the root
>partition and the swap space without killing UNIX.  I believe NeXT
>will need another disk for the root partition if you want to swap the
>optical disk.

Remember, it is _not_ running UNIX.  It is running Mach, which is
UNIX-compatible.  I don't know for sure that Mach lets you remove the
root partition, but I do know that it doesn't have swap space (it
swaps to free space on an ordinary filesystem).

The point, of course, is don't make assumptions based on experience
with older systems.  If this machine wasn't new in a significant way,
no one would be making such a big deal about it.

Jeff Siegal