[alt.next] How about some details?

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (10/15/88)

In article <243@lzaz.ATT.COM> bds@lzaz.ATT.COM (B.SZABLAK) writes:
>I'd be interested in knowing if the optical disk is used for swapping/paging.
>If not then I presume all processes are locked in memory ...

Yes, you can. It's slower than paging to a SCSI, but it works fine.
I've been using an 8MB system with a single optical as my boot/paging
device for sometime now.

Ali Ozer

jjr@ut-emx.UUCP (Jeff Rodriguez) (10/17/88)

In article <4486> ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) writes:
>I've been using an 8MB system with a single optical as my boot/paging
>device for some time now.

Would somebody please explain who has been supplying re-writable
optical disks "for some time now"?  The last I heard, Tandy was
supposed to be the first to develop the technology for a WMRM drive,
and even they weren't planning to have it ready until 1989.
Can't somebody clear this up?  After reading alt.next today, I see
that I'm not the only one with these questions.

				Jeff Rodriguez
				jjr@emx.utexas.edu