[alt.next] New Technologies

robiner@ganelon.usc.edu (Steve) (10/16/88)

I've heard people say that the NeXT computer merely combines existing
technologies together to achive a sum greater than its parts.

Since when is READ/WRITE optical drives an existing technology?  This is
brand spanking new, folks.  So is Postscript on the screen.  And although
laser printers exist, 400 dpi @ $200 is unheard of.

btw, does anyone know who is making their 400 dpi engine?

=Steve=

berlin@bu-cs.BU.EDU (David K. Fickes) (10/17/88)

In article <12827@oberon.USC.EDU> robiner@ganelon.usc.edu (Steve) writes:
>Since when is READ/WRITE optical drives an existing technology?  This is
>brand spanking new, folks.

It is?? hmmmm... that seems strange.. I've got a couple of quotes
regarding equipping our Sun systems with RW optical drives....

>So is Postscript on the screen.  And although

Ever heard of NeWS???  For that matter, NeXT didn't do the work for
it .. its been announced by Adobe for quite a while....and I believe
that Display Postscript will run on other machines..

>laser printers exist, 400 dpi @ $200 is unheard of.

Well @$200 .. it still is.. NeXT is selling theirs for $2000...
(minor magnitude problem...) .. Jobs comparison of his machine
to lasers at $7000 is about right since all his laser printer
consists of is a box with a print engine. you have to buy a $6500
print driver to  run it.. :) The calculations are
done on the machine...  Rather interesting that some group
comp.postscript just discussed this very idea... loading your
print processing into the main CPU to save money.. I'd hate
to watch the NeXT box choke on some of the layouts we do routinely
on our Suns...

As for price... the Sun 386i/150 seems to be a MUCH better purchase...

- david

David K. Fickes     Center for Einstein Studies/Einstein Papers Project
UUCP: ...harvard!bu-it!berlin			Boston University
OTHERWISE: berlin@bu-it.bu.edu			745 Commonwealth Avenue
PHONE:	(617) 353-9249	(617) 277-9741		Boston, MA 02215