[alt.next] Yawn Why does everybody have short memories?

fouts@lemming. (Marty Fouts) (10/16/88)

OK,  Let's line the true believers up on the left, (err, right) and
the total cynics on the right (err, left --- I don't really care.)
and let them shoot at each other.

We're all Monday morning quarterbacking here, and it's getting really
boring.  I would like to see the discussion limited to the actual
technical issues (You, know, how does it mumble, can it burble, how
fast does it blib.)

I would also like to point out that the same discussion has taken
place over a number of machines --- Including one I got burned on (;-(
and one that I got that turned out to be a screaming success. (;-)

Basicaly, Jobs et. al., have made a number of market driven technical
decisions and designed a new machine as a result.  All of the words on
the Usenet aren't going to make one bit of difference to its success.

Frankly, they've ruined my day, because I've been at this for a few
years, and preannouncements have a long track record of never being
delivered, and I *want* the damn machine to be a success.  <=  A good
example of ambivalence.

Anway, some more technical questions:

The Vax version of MACH was really disappointing when I got it a year
ago, as were early versions of BSD  (what you expect from alpa
software).  My question is who did the Next port of MACH?  Is it a
port or a reimplementation?  (I hope a reimplementation?)  Does it
suffer from the CMU Vax Mach problem of requiring BSD and AT&T Unix
licenses?  And, the most important question:  Can I get SOURCE CODE?
As Dave Tweten was quoted in Datamation: "If it ain't source it ain't
software."  [I'll even pay money if I have to, but I've got to have
source.]

Also,  anything technical I can read about Next Step?  Can a mere
mortal buy a manual set?

Comments from next would be best of course.  In fact, is anyone at
Next going to do a "Why we made the decisions we did paper?"  I would
find it very useful.

Anybody familiar with Next Step and SmallTalk want to compare the two?

Why Objective C?  With GNU C, You can get a compiler for C++ for
a little implementation effort?

Finally,  How do I get to be a developer?

More signal -- less noise!  (Please)

Marty
--
+-+-+-+     I don't know who I am, why should you?     +-+-+-+
   |        fouts@lemming.nas.nasa.gov                    |

mmc@well.UUCP (Matthew McClure) (10/17/88)

In article <FOUTS.88Oct15102429@lemming.> fouts@lemming. (Marty Fouts) writes:
>Also,  anything technical I can read about Next Step?  Can a mere
>mortal buy a manual set?
The handout from John Ison, Manager, Application Software
Marketing, says "Even before becoming a Registered Developer, you
will be able to purchase NeXT Computer System technical
documentation."  Price is $395.  Snail address is:
	NeXT, Inc.
	3475 Deer Creek Road
	Palo Alto, CA 94304
>Finally,  How do I get to be a developer?
Looks like you just fill out a form, which you could probably get
from John Ison.  415-424-0200.

Matthew McClure			{pacbell,lll-crg,apple,hplabs}!well!mmc
International Technology Development Corporation
1990 Lombard Street, #250, San Francisco, CA 94123	   415-929-0924