[alt.next] NeXT Intro on CNN

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/18/88)

(I'm catching up - only 116 articles to go :-)

In article <533@nsscb.UUCP> tjm@nsscb.UUCP (Timothy J. Murphy) writes:
>It appeared to be playing Oceanus in fantastic sound (with fantastic
>sound?); if this was a digitized sample played through internal
>D-A's, it had to be 16 bit...then again, it could have been a cd
>player controlled by the system.

Neither.  If they're doing the same thing they did when I heard it, it
was neither a digitized sample nor a system-controlled CD.  That music
was synthesized in real time from an internal notation that could be
edited on the screen.  I've forgotten how many bits wide the D-A
channel was, but what impressed me was the synthesis software and the
DSP chip.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
I'm a fuschia bowling ball somewhere in Brittany