[alt.next] Connecting the NeXT box to phone lines -- Where is my RJ11??

mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) (10/15/88)

I like the machine very much.  Maybe even too much.  I even had this dream
last night...

But where is the RJ-11?  That's the little plug that is on the back
of your modem that connects it to the phone system.

The DSP will make a wonderful 9600 bps modem, but only if it can connect
to the phone line to do modem like things.  How is this intended to
be done?  Did NeXT just run out of space on the system board?

If somebody who knows could comment or send me mail I would appreciate.
Some of my ideas really need to be connected to the phones.

Mike

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (10/18/88)

In article <10639@reed.UUCP> mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) writes:
>But where is the RJ-11?  That's the little plug that is on the back
>of your modem that connects it to the phone system.

You will need a little box that takes the DSP output
off the back and makes it available on an RJ11. This box will
certainly be available when the DSP modem software comes out.
It should cost $30 or so.

Ali Ozer, aozer@NeXT.com

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/18/88)

In article <10639@reed.UUCP> mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) writes:
>But where is the RJ-11?  That's the little plug that is on the back
>of your modem that connects it to the phone system.
>
>The DSP will make a wonderful 9600 bps modem, but only if it can
>connect to the phone line to do modem like things.  How is this
>intended to be done?  Did NeXT just run out of space on the system
>board?

The 9600bps modem was built into the early revs of the board, but was
later moved outside the case in a little box that just hangs there
like an appendage.  That was a concession to internationalization
because not all countries' modems and telco interfaces are the same,
so it seemed better to keep the portable-hardware signal processing
inside the case and the variant stuff on the outside.

This also leaves more flexibility for use as a FAX modem, etc.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
I'm pretending that we're all watching PHIL SILVERS
 instead of RICARDO MONTALBAN!

cory@gloom.UUCP (Cory Kempf) (10/18/88)

In article <10639@reed.UUCP>, mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) writes:

> But where is the RJ-11?  That's the little plug that is on the back
> of your modem that connects it to the phone system.

> The DSP will make a wonderful 9600 bps modem, but only if it can connect
> to the phone line to do modem like things.  How is this intended to
> be done?  Did NeXT just run out of space on the system board?

According to the article in this weeks MacWeek (page 8, 18 Oct 1988):
 "...although the on-board Digital Signal Processor chip 'contains
 80 percent of a 9600 baug modem,' Jobs said, and be promised that
 missing 20 percent, including a phone line interface would be available
 inexpensively from NeXT in 1989."

--
Cory Kempf
UUCP: {decvax, bu-cs}!encore!gloom!cory