[alt.next] The NeXT machine has been announced!

ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (10/13/88)

[followups directed to comp.sys.misc]
In article <360@elan.UUCP> jlo@elan.UUCP (Jeff Lo) writes:
[NeWS news.  Thanks!]
>The machine is based on the Motorola 68030 with a 68882 floating point
>chip as well as a 56001 DSP chip, all running at 25 MHz.
All on the CPU board?

>The entire CPU board consists of 45 chips ...
>ethernet, sound processors (I assume the DSP and A/D-D/A converters) and..
>the NuBus. The NuBus is run at 25 MHz (Jobs compared it to a 10 MHz NuBus,
>The CPU box has 4 slots, 1 is used by the CPU board, the others were empty...
>There are 12 I/O processors total.

Does this mean that all of the circuitry is on NuBUS cards, or did they
put some stuff on the motherboard, leaving the CPU and DSP on the backplane?
What is really on the CPU board (030, 882, and 1M memory?)
How much memory is in the base configuration?
--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.
Internet: ralphw@ius3.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412) CMU-BUGS

mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) (10/14/88)

In article <17479@gatech.edu> ken@gatech.UUCP (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

	>Will they be including any development tools for
	>the DSP, like the Motorola assembler or (better) C compiler?

I haven't seen it on paper but I'm pretty sure they are including the C
56000 C compiler for it.

     >I spent a little time doing work with optical disk technology,
     >and it was far, far to slow to be primary main storage.  What
     >magic has NeXT worked to make it suitable?

A person from Reed who was at the announcement said that things seemed
to load slowly but then goes faster.  That makes a lot of sense, since Mach
uses as much memory as it can as a disk cache, making things go faster
once you use them.  The optional SCSI drives would be faster I suspect.

	>The big question of the day: how stable is Mach?  Until
	>relatively recently, Mach was a reseach OS.  Has NeXT
	>had time to get all the kinks out?

CMU is planning a new release of Mach this fall which will be independent
of the AT&T license requirements and will be more machine independent.
I don't know what the NeXT people are using.

It is such a nice machine.  I wish I could go to school & buy a machine
at the same time.  I wish I had a BMW I could sell for a few bucks.

Mike

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/18/88)

In article <3292@pt.cs.cmu.edu> ralphw@ius3.ius.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) writes:
>Does this mean that all of the circuitry is on NuBUS cards, or did they
>put some stuff on the motherboard, leaving the CPU and DSP on the backplane?

There's no motherboard, unless you count the first CPU card as a
motherboard.  Everything plugs into the NuBus, not into the CPU card.

>What is really on the CPU board (030, 882, and 1M memory?)

Everything is on the one card.

>How much memory is in the base configuration?

8Mb.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
Where's SANDY DUNCAN?

roston@ragnarok.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Gerry Roston) (10/18/88)

I'ver finally had it.  Someone (Steve Jobs) FINALLY introduces what appears
to to a superior product to the market, and all I've seen so far on the
net is flames.  There have been some well founded comments, like the
problem of distributing software on $50 disks (although for some unknown
reason no one has mentioned tape cartridges yet, although most of us
have them on our Suns).

The one comment, though, which really got my goat, was someone's complaints
about the price tag.  Well, let me tell you something buster: recently,
I compared the price of a Sun 3/60 to a similarly equipped IBM PC AT with
the same software (or as close as you can get in the MSDOS world).  And
guess what, the Sun was cheaper.  And, is there anyone out there who
wouldn't rather own a NeXT rather than a Sun?  Isn't the NeXT more powerful
and come with more software than a Sun?  By simple logic then, the NeXT IS
cheaper than an IBM PC AT and almost certainly less than the IBM System 2
stuff.  But more importantly, who would REALLY want to own one of those
IBM pieces of garbage anyway?

COME ON FOLKS!!!  Flaming is fun, but based on what I have been reading,
the NeXT computer almost seems the the panacea for my home computer.  As
soon as a color system is announced, I plan to buy one.  Lets see some
more constructive discussion instead of random flames.

gerry roston, robotic systems research group
jet propulsion laboratory, 4800 oak grove drive, m/s 23
pasadena, california, 91109, (818) 354-9124  (818) 354-6508
roston@robotics.jpl.nasa.gov