[alt.next] NeXT press release

chari@juniper.uucp (Christopher Michael Whatley) (10/13/88)

This is the official NeXT press release.

----------------------------------------cut here-------------------------

the NeXT Computer System, designed to meet the demanding and diverse
needs of higher education.
   The system encompasses the best attributes of workstations and
personal computers, adds features previously found only on mainframes
and introduces entirely new innovations.
   "NeXT's mission is to collaborate with higher education to develop
innovative, personal and affordable computer solutions for the next
decade and beyond," said Steven P. Jobs, president and chief executive
officer of NeXT.
   "We began our product design process at key higher education
centers in this country, discovering what they wanted from a computer.
Based on what we heard, we have created a revolutionary learning and
research environment that represents what computing will be like in
the 1990s.
   "Currently, there is a revolution in software development and use
on college and university campuses, generating powerful concepts such
as simulated environments for both research and learning. The problem
is that higher education lacks a predictable computing target for
software developers, which slows emergence of practical products.
denominator for standard capabilities in academic computing.  In this
way, we will help spur the realization of some innovative and
important  software ideas," Jobs said.
   NeXT saw the need in higher education for a computer that combined
qualities of workstations and personal computers, with cabilities
far-exceeding either.
 Specifically, the company took the workstation  concepts of built-in
networking, large standard display screens,  multitasking and a robust
application development environment, and  designed and packaged them
in a one-foot cube with personal  computer-like characteristics such
as affordability, efficient  manufacturability and cool, quiet and
reliable use.
   At the same time, NeXT recognized that significant innovations were
 necessary to extend its computer system beyond a laundry list of
impressive features.
   NeXT chose to innovate in four main areas:

   A mainframe on two chips:
 The architectures of both workstations  and personal computers
contain inherent bottlenecks to higher  performance that cannot be
resolved by faster processors alone.  To  manage the flow of
information within the system to yield peak  efficiency, NeXT designed
the ICP and OSP, two proprietary VLSI (very large-scale integration)
chips that endow the system with  mainframe-like capabilities.
   NextStep:  Although UNIX provides powerful capabilities and is the
most prevalent operating system for higher education and research,
the complexity of UNIX-based computers has put them beyond the reach
of almost everyone except scientists and engineers.
 At the same  time, developing graphical application software has
traditionally  extracted an inordinate amount of time and expertise.

   NeXT has addressed both these problems with NextStep, an
object-oriented software environment.  NextStep makes the power of
UNIX  accessible to all users, while it also significantly reduces the
time, expertise and software code developers need to construct
graphical, end-user applications.

   Personal Optical Storage and the Digital Library:  The potential
for  desktop computers to open the world's knowledge to an individual
has  been restricted, in part, by inadequate mass storage and poor
searching  and indexing capabilities.  To break through these
restrictions, NeXT  used a new storage technology called
magneto-optics to create a  removable, read/write/erasable 256
Megabyte Optical Disk as the Computer System's standard mass storage
device.
   The Optical Disk makes possible the concept of the "Digital
Library," which can comprise on-line reference and literary works,
musical scores or images of photographic quality.
   Included with every system is a powerful searching and indexing
tool called the Digital Librarian and a "starter" Digital Library.
   Sound and Music:  Sound is considered a vital communication medium.
 As a result, NeXT has made sound capabilities integral to its
computer  system:  a microphone jack for input, CD-quality stereo
output, a  powerful 10 MIPS (million insructions per second) Digital
Signal  Processor (DSP) and a standard voice mail application.
 To encourage  the development of applications that include sound,
music and voice,  the system also includes the SoundKit and MusicKit.

   The Sum is greater than the parts-
   "Many of the NeXT Computer System's individual components
represent major technological breakthroughs," Jobs said.
 "Taken in  sum, they generate capabilities and potential exceeding
that of any  existing category of computer system."
   The sytem's basic hardware configuration includes the computer, a
one-foot cube that houses on a single board all the computer's highly
integrated silicon chips; the 256 Megabyate Optical Disk for editable
storage and retrieval of vast amounts of information; the 17-inch,
extremely high-resolution MegaPixel Display; and the 400 dpi Laser
Printer, which is the first affordable PostScript laser printer and
the  first low-cost laser printer to provide 400 dots per inch (dpi)
resolution.
   Underlying all the system's capabilities is a small, powerful and
efficient set of computer chips, all of which are standard and fit
onto  a single board.  There are three high-performance processors in
every system.
   The main processor is Motorola's top-of-the-line  microprocessor,
the 68030.
 Accompanying it is Motorola's 68882  Floating-Point Unit, for fast
mathematical computations. Both these  chips run at 25 megahertz.
   The third processor is a 10 MIPS Motorola 56001 Digital Signal
Processor chip, for real-time sound and array processing.  The board
can also support up to 16 megabytes (MB) of main memory.
   Two proprietary VLSI chips, designed by NeXT, give the sytem its
mainframe-like qualities.
 The Integrated Channel Processor (ICP)  manages the flow of data
among the central processing unit (the 68030),  main memory and all
peripheral devices.  By offloading the 68030 and  ensuring the
efficient flow of data within the system, the ICP allows  the 68030 to
run at its full rated capacity of 5 MIPS.
   The ICP provides 12 dedicated DMA (direct memory access) channels,
including channels for Ethernet networking and for disks, monitor,
printer and other peripheral devices.  The single ICP chip replaces
several hundred chips performing similar functions on a mainframe
computer, and it raises sustained system throughput to a level
impossible with either personal computer or workstation architectures.

   The other VLSI chip, the Optical Storage Processor, controls the
256 Megabyte Optical Disk, making possible this new storage technology
The Optical Disk combines the vast storage capacities, removability
and reliability of laser technology with the fast access and full
read/write/erase capabilities of Winchester (magnetic) technology.
The Optical Disk provides unprecedented information storage,
manipulation and retrieval.  With the Optical Disk working in
conjunction  with the Digital Librarian, a specially designed
searching and indexing  tool, users can almost instantaneously locate
any textual information,  in any form, anywhere in the computer.
   They can also browse through the system to uncover information,
ideas or connections between concepts.    Software as Part of the
System
every NeXT Computer System. The software starts with Mach, an advanced
 multitasking operating system compatible with 4.3BSD UNIX, which is
the  standard operating system in higher education communities.
   In addition, the NeXT Computer System includes NextStep, a complete
 software environment consisting of four components:  the Window
Server,  the Workspace Manager, the Application Kit and the Interface
Builder.   The object-oriented environment was developed with the
Objective-C  programming language, from the Stepstone Corp.
   NextStep solves the two major problems with UNIX-based systems:
They are too complex and difficult for most non-programmers to use,
and  they require developers to spend an inordinate amount of time and
expertise creating graphical, end-user applications.  For users,
NextStep makes the power of UNIX available by substituting a
window-based, graphical and intuitive interface for the traditional
UNIX comand-line interface.  For developers, NextStep includes the
Application Kit, a set of interacting software "objects" for
constructing applications.
   Also included in NextStep is Interface Builder, a completely new
kind of software development tool.  Interface Builder works
graphically, letting the developer construct an application by
choosing  from a palette of available objects and using the mouse and
keyboard to  modify the objects as needed, define the layout and
establish  connections between objects.
   This process permits the rapid construction of graphical user
interfaces and makes application development accessible to a much
larger community.
   NextStep uses the Display PostScript system to ensure true WYSIWYG
(What You See Is What You Get) between the screen and the printer.
The  Display PostScript system includes a high-performance
implementation of  the PostScript language, the de facto imaging
standard for printing.   It simplifies the programming of graphical
applications that support  high-quality printing.
   To further aid developers, the NeXT Computer System includes the
SoundKit, MusicKit, array processing routines, assemblers, compilers,
debuggers and a terminal emulator.
   Standard with each system, on the 256 Megabyte Optical Disk, is a
basic Digital Library.  A Digital Library can contain complete
reference works, books, images or musical scores.
   The bundled library includes the Webster's Ninth New Collegiate
Dictionary, including definitions, pronunciations and illustrations,
not just spelling; Webster's Collegiate Thesaurus; the Oxford
Dictionary of Quotations; the Oxford University Press edition of
William Shakespeare; The Complete Works.
   NeXT technical references and other pertinent technical references.

   The NeXT Computer System also includes a rich set of bundled
application software.  These applications include WriteNow, a
full-featured word processing program; Mathematica, a symbolic
mathematics program; the powerful NeXT SQL Database Server, from
Sybase; Allegro CL Common Lisp; Jot, a personal text database manager;
 and a graphical electronic mail application with integrated voice
mail  capabilities.
   NeXT has built its business plan and products to meet the needs of
higher education.  The company determined these needs through close
collaboration with leaders at college and university campuses
nationwide, uncovering the gaps between current and ideal computer
technology for this marketplace.
   "Higher education is a huge market, certainly big enough in  itself
to grow NeXT to critical mass," said Dan'l Lewin, vice  president of
sales and marketing and NeXT.  "Beyond that, higher  education is the
most demanding and diverse marketplace conceivable.   It provides a
real acid test.  If we can do well here, were can do well  anywhere.

   "The key is understanding and committing to a business model that
works the way higher education does, both in its generic form and as
it  varies from campus to campus.  That's where NeXT has the edge,
because we are the only computer company that has amassed both the
market knowledge and the technological ability to deliver the right
computing  tools," Lewin said.
   During 1988, NeXT will market its computer System directly to
several dozen of the nation's top institutions and software
developers.  NeXT expects to appeal to higher education on the
strength of its  technology tools and through the personal business
relationships the  company has established with the higher education
community.
   Price and Availability
   The standard NeXT Computer System configuration, which includes  8
MB of main memory, the 256 Megabyte Optical Disk, the MegaPixel
Display, keyboard, mouse and complete system software, will sell for
$6,500.  The 400 dpi Laser Printer will sell for $2,000.
 All prices  quoted are for higher education.
   NeXT will ship systems to its key customers and developers starting
 this quarter, and expects to ship systems with final software by the
second quarter of 1989 to a broader base of institutions and
developers.
   Available options to the standard configuration include 4 MB RAM
expansion modules (up to 16 MB total), 660 MB and 330 MB
high-performance Winchester drives, an Ethernet kit, blank Optical
Disks and printer toner cartridges.
Jobs, co-founder and former chairman of Apple Computer Inc., and five
other individuals.  The mission of the privately held company is to
collaborate with higher education to develop innovative, personal and
affordable computer solutions for the 1990s and beyond.
--
$---------------$--------------------------------$-------------------------$
| Chris Whatley | mail chari@juniper.uucp        | "Ever seen the chicken  |

dvorak@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Dvorak) (10/14/88)

The Wall Street Journal article on Steve Jobs' announcement
of the NeXT Computer System is on display on the wall outside
Taylor 5.114.  The earlier posting of the NeXT press release
in this newsgroup gave a more complete picture of the system's
technical features, but the Wall Street Journal article gives
an interesting price comparison to competitors' products, when
comparably equipped.  All the machines shown below have 8 MB
main memory and a large disk:

                       price   proc.   disk   monitor  operating sys.
                      -------  -----  ------  -------  --------------
NeXT Computer System   $6,500  68030  256 MB  17-inch  MACH
Sun 386l/150          $16,990  80386  327 MB  15-inch  UNIX,MS-DOS
Apple Macintosh IIx   $13,862  68030  192 MB  19-inch  Apple *
Compaq 386 Model 300  $19,751  80386  300 MB  12-inch  (extra **)

*  Apple's A/UX UNIX is an additional $2,600.
** Compaq's UNIX is an additional $695.

The price difference is even more surprising given the large
amount of software bundled with NeXT -- things like Common Lisp,
Objective C, an SQL database server, a symbolic math program,
Display Postscript, and a dictionary and thesaurus.
--
Dan Dvorak          ARPA/CS/NSFnet:  dvorak@cs.utexas.edu
(512) 471-9576      UUCP:  ...!cs.utexas.edu!dvorak

[...]

Dan Dvorak          ARPA/CS/NSFnet:  dvorak@cs.utexas.eds
(512) 471-9576      UUCP:  ...!cs.utexas.edu!dvora

rajesh@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Rajesh Raichoudhury) (10/14/88)

Any info on the optical drive ... like speed specs ... for example
how long does a page fault take to service , etc ...

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (10/14/88)

In article <3580@cs.utexas.edu> dvorak@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Dvorak) writes:

>... technical features, but the Wall Street Journal article gives
>an interesting price comparison to competitors' products, when
>comparably equipped.  All the machines shown below have 8 MB
>main memory and a large disk:
>
>                       price   proc.   disk   monitor  operating sys.
>                      -------  -----  ------  -------  --------------
>NeXT Computer System   $6,500  68030  256 MB  17-inch  MACH
>Sun 386l/150          $16,990  80386  327 MB  15-inch  UNIX,MS-DOS
>Apple Macintosh IIx   $13,862  68030  192 MB  19-inch  Apple *
>Compaq 386 Model 300  $19,751  80386  300 MB  12-inch  (extra **)

>*  Apple's A/UX UNIX is an additional $2,600.
>** Compaq's UNIX is an additional $695.

Ahh, but you aren't really comparing the same prices, I think.  The NeXT price
is restricted to educational institutions, and the other prices (at least
Apple's) is the cost to the general public.  I would think that the Apple
prices via the educational consortium are considerably lower and therefore
appear somewhat more reasonable when compared to the NeXT system.

Please do not take this as an endorsement of Apple's price gouging.  I don't
have the consortium prices, but I bet the NeXT machines still look like a good
value when compared to Apple's educational prices.  I hope this wakes Apple up
and gets them moving to produce a machine with a good deal more power at a
competitive price point.

Jim

--

Jim -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)  {Standard disclaimer, nothin' fancy!}

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (10/14/88)

Dan Dvorak (dvorak@cs.utexas.edu) writes:
|                       price   proc.   disk   monitor  operating sys.
|                      -------  -----  ------  -------  --------------
|NeXT Computer System   $6,500  68030  256 MB  17-inch  MACH
|Sun 386l/150          $16,990  80386  327 MB  15-inch  UNIX,MS-DOS
|Apple Macintosh IIx   $13,862  68030  192 MB  19-inch  Apple *
|Compaq 386 Model 300  $19,751  80386  300 MB  12-inch  (extra **)
|
|*  Apple's A/UX UNIX is an additional $2,600.
|** Compaq's UNIX is an additional $695.
|
|The price difference is even more surprising given the large
|amount of software bundled with NeXT -- things like Common Lisp,
|Objective C, an SQL database server, a symbolic math program,
|Display Postscript, and a dictionary and thesaurus.

Of course the NeXT price is the EDUCATIONAL price.  Has anyone heard
anything about retail price?  If the educational discounts are anything
like the Mac's original discounts, we can expect retail of ~$13,000.
Still very competitive with the other machines mentioned above, but,
unfortunately, I don't think I'll be getting one soon...

--
Brian L. Matthews  blm@cxsea.UUCP   ...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm
+1 206 251 6811    Computer X Inc. - a division of Motorola New Enterprises

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (10/15/88)

Dear Dan -
	I think that you should be aware that you are comparing Apples &
Oranges (or should I say Nexts), when you are comparing the full suggested
retail price of an Apple product to the preannounced discounted university
price for a Next product.  Given that the university discount from Apple
is from 40% to 50% the price is much more in line.  Also, I question the
suggested retail price put forward by the Wall Street Journal for the
Macintosh IIx and for A/UX.

Jordan Mattson				UUCP:   jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.			CSNET: 	jordan@apple.CSNET
Tools & Languages Product Management
20525 Mariani Avenue, MS 27S
Cupertino, CA 95014
408-973-4601
			"Joy is the serious business of heaven."
					C.S. Lewis

kline@arizona.edu (Nick Kline) (10/15/88)

In article <2532@cxsea.UUCP> blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
>Of course the NeXT price is the EDUCATIONAL price.  Has anyone heard
>anything about retail price?  If the educational discounts are anything
>like the Mac's original discounts, we can expect retail of ~$13,000.
>Still very competitive with the other machines mentioned above, but,
>unfortunately, I don't think I'll be getting one soon...
>
>--
>Brian L. Matthews  blm@cxsea.UUCP   ...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm
>+1 206 251 6811    Computer X Inc. - a division of Motorola New Enterprises

Well, sorry to tell you this but the Next machine will only be sold
to colleges and college affiliated groups (research groups, etc).

So, there is no use complaining that the noneducational price will be
greater than the educational price since there is not one.

Of course, this is passing on second hand information since no one
at Next actually told me this :-)

Nick Kline, mr Alpine

berlin@bu-cs.BU.EDU (David K. Fickes) (10/15/88)

In article <3580@cs.utexas.edu> dvorak@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Dvorak) writes:

>                       price   proc.   disk   monitor  operating sys.
>                      -------  -----  ------  -------  --------------
>NeXT Computer System   $6,500  68030  256 MB  17-inch  MACH

Sun 386i/150          ~ $7,000  80386  97? MB  15-inch  UNIX,MS-DOS

>Apple Macintosh IIx   $13,862  68030  192 MB  19-inch  Apple *
>Compaq 386 Model 300  $19,751  80386  300 MB  12-inch  (extra **)
>
>*  Apple's A/UX UNIX is an additional $2,600.
>** Compaq's UNIX is an additional $695.

But.. as others have mentioned... what about EDUCATIONAL prices
for Sun and Apples???? hmmm... I looked into ENTRY Level (100 MB disk)
Sun 386 i's.. and it came to about $7,000.. this includes a nice
pair of standard operating systems Ethernet ports and the usual
Sun nice stuff with a large monitor...  All packaged with an
operating system that made it a plug and play machine...  Of
course, with networking who needs disk on the durn thing anyways?
Just hook it up to your local Sun server which will give you lots
of relatively cheap storage of any kind you want.. Of course, it
also runs MS-DOS and all of that software as well as Unix stuff...

Now if only BILL JOY (are you listening...) would go out an convice
Sun that they should discount the 386i/150 with the smaller disk
at a 45% rate.. they'd sell TONS of them... just the one model...

I'm not impressed with the NeXT stuff.. new op system etc....and
I won't comment on Apple who will sue anything INCLUDING GNU!!!

- david
David K. Fickes     Center for Einstein Studies/Einstein Papers Project
UUCP: ...harvard!bu-it!berlin			Boston University
OTHERWISE: berlin@bu-it.bu.edu			745 Commonwealth Avenue
PHONE:	(617) 353-9249	(617) 277-9741		Boston, MA 02215

retrac@titan.rice.edu (John Carter) (10/15/88)

In article <25432@bu-cs.BU.EDU> berlin@buita.bu.edu (David Fickes Einstein Project) writes:
>I'm not impressed with the NeXT stuff.. new op system etc....and
>I won't comment on Apple who will sue anything INCLUDING GNU!!!
>
>- david

    That statement about Apple suing over anything is tantamount to slander!
Time to set the Apple lawyer squad after you!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

John Carter               Internet: retrac@rice.edu
Dept of Computer Science  UUCP:     {internet node or backbone}!rice!retrac
Rice University
Houston, TX               Rootin' for the: Rockets, Reds, Dolphins & RedWings

suitti@haddock.ima.isc.com (Steve Uitti) (10/19/88)

In article <3580@cs.utexas.eds: < dvorak@cs.utexas.edu (Dan Dvorak) writes:
>The Wall Street Journal article on Steve Jobs' announcement...
>...comparably equipped.  All the machines shown below have 8 MB
>main memory and a large disk:
>                       price   proc.   disk   monitor  operating sys.
>                      -------  -----  ------  -------  --------------
>NeXT Computer System   $6,500  68030  256 MB  17-inch  MACH
>Apple Macintosh IIx   $13,862  68030  192 MB  19-inch  Apple *
>*  Apple's A/UX UNIX is an additional $2,600.
	My Mac II (not a IIx) was about $5K.  Upgrading (original
purchase) to 8 MB RAM, a larger disk & MMU wouldn't cost any where near
$8K.  My 40 MB disk is fine for Mac OS use.  AOS doesn't look worth
owning, so that is moot.  Fortunately I didn't by the Mac for UN*X.  8
MB of RAM would be nice, but 2 MB works for most things.  I still call
what I have a workstation, due to the way it behaves.
	I got my Mac II last fall, at University prices.  Prices have
increased for the Mac recently.  I think the NeXT prices quoted are
University prices, and other prices were list.  This is bad.  WSJ
generally does better than this (or was it an ad?).
	The NeXT machine looks like a nice UN*X box, and competitive,
but the given price list *is* misleading.

>The price difference is even more surprising given the large
>amount of software bundled with NeXT -- things like Common Lisp,
>Objective C, an SQL database server, a symbolic math program,
>Display Postscript, and a dictionary and thesaurus.
	Some of these would be nice to have, certainly, depending on
who you are, and what you want.  One should look at the system from a
what you can do with it approach.  As delivered:
Capability		NeXT		Mac (without AOS)
WYSIWYG word processing	yes		+$100
Laser printing		+$?		+$2K (General Computer PLP)
C environ		yes		+$100 (LSC)
Database		maybe		hypercard...
Paint capabilities	?		+$100
Document digitizing	no		+$250 (Thunderscan)
Sound digitizing	yes (8KHz)	+$250 (22KHz)
Digitized sound out	yes		yes (but real music cost$)
Screen Color		no (not yet)	yes
Networking		yes		+$? lots of options.
MIDI (music networking)	no		+$250 (lots of options).
	The Mac platform is pretty nice.  The features may be
implemented differently, but the quality is similar and generally
cheap.  Is there anything major that you can't do with a Mac (and a
few bucks)?  Generally for $100, you can get some new capability (more
for new hardware).  I prefer to add to my machine incrementally.
	UN*X isn't new, but it is new to the high volume low cost
workstation market, compared to the Mac.  It is mainly weak in low
cost applications.  People seem to be unwilling to give up on the high
cost for multiuser software attitude, that UN*X inherits by being
multiuser.  The NeXT hardware platform is new, and it remains to be
seen if hardware upgrades will be available (and cheaply).
	Add your own to this list, but be careful about saying for
example "display postscript", since in itself this doesn't do anything
for you that quickdraw doesn't do for a Mac.  It just doesn't do it
the same.  Quickdraw will do high res graphics, etc.

	I used to be a UN*X fanatic, now, its just a living.  Religion
is expensive.  Your mileage may vary.
	Stephen.