[alt.next] All this talk about Optical Disk

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (10/15/88)

In article <895@surya.megatest.UUCP> asrirama@megatest.UUCP (Anantha Srirama) writes:
>I don't understand all this talk about 'does the machine use the optical
>disk for swapping' seems odd to me.  To me it is obvious, the optical
>disk is REPLACING the hard-disk/winchester and that says it all.
>        ---------

Are erasable optical disks brand new stuff? When did this happen
and why aren't others using it?

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (10/16/88)

In article <15510@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
>Are erasable optical disks brand new stuff? When did this happen
>and why aren't others using it?

I thought everyone knew this, but apparently not.  There was a big fuss
last year when Tandy announced they would have erasable optical drives
soon.  They're scheduled for 1989.  There was quite a controversy in the
trade press when the announcement was made, so I'm surprised that people
keep acting like this technology is a bolt from the blue.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Our newest idol, the Superman, celebrating the death of godhead, may be

knighton@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Robert Knighton) (10/21/88)

In article <895@surya.megatest.UUCP> asrirama@megatest.UUCP (Anantha Srirama) writes:

>For all those people who find it impossible to coupe up with the advanced
>technology, NeXT is still providing the soon to be obsolete magnetic media.
>
>	-Anantha-

It isn't obsolete until optical is FASTER.  At worst case of ~100ms seek
time the optical disk has a LONG way to go.

"If I can't have fun working, I can't have fun at all." | This space for rent.

Robert Knighton						| Send all money and
E-mail: knighton@oswego.oswego.edu			| corespondence to:
	!sunybcs!oswego!knighton			|
							| /dev/null (:-)
USmail: RD #1 Box 6A					|