[alt.next] NeXT wave of computers? or: It's already been done!

tow@arisia.Xerox.COM (Rob Tow) (10/15/88)

In article <1988Oct13.175739.11759@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <969@oswego.Oswego.EDU> knighton@oswego.oswego.edu.Oswego.EDU (Robert Knighton) writes:
>>	...  But I still want COLOR!
>
>Not to be cynical or anything, but what for?
>--
>The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

1)  Examining photographic quality reproductions of works of art, illustrations
in encyclopedias, etc.

2)  "personal image processing", "digital darkroom".

3)  Superior drawing/painting tools.

4)  Color prepress.

5)  "false color" for scientific/modeling applications.

Note:  there are no convincing  reasons for making the *user interface* color -
there are actually good reasons based on psychophysics for keeping the user
interface (at least largely) monochrome (greyscale, if not bilevel). And I
don't mean just the "colorblindness" segment of the population, either.
Contrast sensitivity, fatigue effects, and more all vary in interestingly
nonlinear ways across color.

But there are important reasons for wanting color - and eight bit color is
not enough.

---

Rob Tow
Member Research Staff
Electronic Document Lab
Xerox PARC
3333 Coyote Hill Drive
Palo Alto, CA 94304
(415)-494-4087

Henry Spencer writes:
>Robert Knighton writes:
>>	...  But I still want COLOR!
>
>Not to be cynical or anything, but what for?

Not to be irreverent, but we are the customers, and we want it.

--
   ``what kind of a moron would ask YOU to be on a panel? ''  --   gypsy
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM    {backbone...err, well connected site}!gryphon!richard

jkrueger@daitc.daitc.mil (Jonathan Krueger) (10/16/88)

Richard Sexton writes:
>Henry Spencer writes:
>>Robert Knighton writes:
>>>	...  But I still want COLOR!
>>
>>Not to be cynical or anything, but what for?
>
>Not to be irreverent, but we are the customers, and we want it.

Not to be disagreeable, but we too are customers, and we don't want it.

-- Jon "just the resolution, ma'am" Krueger

yap@hammer.me.toronto.edu () (10/17/88)

Richard Sexton writes:
>Henry Spencer writes:
>>Robert Knighton writes:
>>>	...  But I still want COLOR!
>>
>>Not to be cynical or anything, but what for?
>
>Not to be irreverent, but we are the customers, and we want it.

Not to be nasty, buy you are NOT the customers, at least not yet.  And by the
time you are the customers, you'll have it.  There seems to be two very good
reasons for the display being the way it is now.  First, a matter of time,
rumour has it that Pixar is working on the colour (notice the British spelling!)
for the Next box, but they're not ready yet.  Meanwhile, the Next announcement
date kept being pushed back, and scepticism grew, they couldn't wait any
longer.  Second, a matter of price, with the initial target market being poor
universities/students, they had to keep the initial price as low as possible
to keep our hopes up for another 9 months (at least that's how long I figure
it'll be before I see one).

Davin.

--
Davin Yap, Dept. of Mech. Eng., U of Toronto, Toronto, CANADA, M5S 1A4
Work: (416)978-6443 ,Email addresses in order of fastest to slowest:

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (10/17/88)

>>>	...  But I still want COLOR!
>>
>>Not to be cynical or anything, but what for?

For photographic quality nude girl pictures, of course!  ;-)

-Ted

jbs@eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (10/18/88)

In article <3540001@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:
>>	...  But I still want COLOR!
>>[...]what for?
>For photographic quality nude girl pictures, of course!  ;-)

Yup, this could have been a big selling point among college students
(half a :-)).

Jeff Siegal

knighton@oswego.Oswego.EDU (Robert Knighton) (10/22/88)

In article <197@daitc.daitc.mil> jkrueger@daitc.daitc.mil.UUCP (Jonathan Krueger) writes:
>Richard Sexton writes:
>>Henry Spencer writes:
>>>
>>>Not to be cynical or anything, but what for?
>>
>>Not to be irreverent, but we are the customers, and we want it.
>>

>Not to be disagreeable, but we too are customers, and we don't want it.
>
>-- Jon "just the resolution, ma'am" Krueger

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!!  I'm getting tired of seeing my name thrown around
like a beach ball.

here is a suggestion that will keep everybody happy (I hope :v)):

have the color capability come on a separate card (There are 3 more slots)
and put the hardware for 32 bit color on it.  This way we could have MEGA
colors and (perhaps) enough memory to amply support such things as CAD.
(What? 8-16 megs would be nice [$$$]).

Then we can have a color screen that would need a special card to run it,
otherwise all you would get is grey scale. (does this sound like EGA/VGA/etc....)

Tanx for listening.

"If I can't have fun working, I can't have fun at all." | This space for rent.

Robert Knighton						| Send all money and
E-mail: knighton@oswego.oswego.edu			| corespondence to:
	!sunybcs!oswego!knighton			|
							| /dev/null (:-)
USmail: RD #1 Box 6A					|