[net.auto] GTI Squeaking

akhanna@bbncc5.UUCP (Atul C Khanna) (03/01/86)

I find that my 1986 GTI squeaks noticeably more than other cars.  The
source of this squeaking seems to be the rear luggage cover.  Do other
netters with GTIs have similar experiences, or have I just bought a
"lemon ?"

--
Atul C Khanna
BBN Communications Corporation, Cambridge MA

ams@philabs.UUCP (Ali Shaik) (03/01/86)

> I find that my 1986 GTI squeaks noticeably more than other cars.  The

	:-) you sure it isn't a Rabbit?

	Ali Shaik ihnp4!philabs!ams

verner@inuxh.UUCP (Matt Verner) (03/03/86)

> I find that my 1986 GTI squeaks noticeably more than other cars.  The
> source of this squeaking seems to be the rear luggage cover.  Do other
> netters with GTIs have similar experiences, or have I just bought a
> "lemon ?"
>
> --
> Atul C Khanna
> BBN Communications Corporation, Cambridge MA

I have a one week old (500 miles) '86 GTI that also has that squeaking of
the luggage cover.  I am planning on spraying some WD-40 on the edges to see if that helps.

BTW, I absolutely love the car!  Handles beautifully, has decent power for
a small car, and has the most comfortable OEM seats I have ever encountered.
Yes, Chuck, I guess I am just another new VW fanatic! :-)

tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) (03/04/86)

>I have a one week old (500 miles) '86 GTI that also has that squeaking of
>the luggage cover.  I am planning on spraying some WD-40 on the edges to
>see if that helps.

Be careful with the WD-40. If there's any plastic around it will be
destroyed.

Trevor J. Smedley                    University of Waterloo

{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,utzoo}!watmum!tjsmedley

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (03/10/86)

In article <419@watmum.UUCP> tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) writes:

>>I have a one week old (500 miles) '86 GTI that also has that squeaking of
>>the luggage cover.  I am planning on spraying some WD-40 on the edges to
>>see if that helps.
>
>Be careful with the WD-40. If there's any plastic around it will be
>destroyed.
>
>Trevor J. Smedley                    University of Waterloo

I have never know WD-40 to damage plastic, especially polypropylene
or ABS which the bags are probably made of.  The can even recommends
use on things made of plastic.

		Bill Landsborough

----

"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not
arrogant or rude... Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all
things, endures all things."   1 Corinthians 13:4-7

mark@gatech.CSNET (Mark Johnson) (03/11/86)

I have a 1985 GTI which had a hatch rattle which I fixed by readjusting
the latch. It was very simple. There are only two screws to fool with.

--
Mark Johnson
(404) 894-2746 		(404) 894-3152

tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) (03/13/86)

>>Be careful with the WD-40. If there's any plastic around it will be
>>destroyed.
>
>I have never know WD-40 to damage plastic, especially polypropylene
>or ABS which the bags are probably made of.  The can even recommends
>use on things made of plastic.

I guess it must depend upon the type of plastic, because after
spraying it in the plastic air vents in my MGB they are no longer
movable. (The squeak is gone, though :-)

Trevor J. Smedley                    University of Waterloo

{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,utzoo}!watmum!tjsmedley

BTW, does anyone know a source for MGB air vents?

jdb@psuecl.BITNET (John D. Balogh) (03/22/86)