[alt.next] Speed of the Next disk, what kind of network?

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (10/15/88)

It seems to me that with 8 Megs standard main memory, you shouldn't need to
touch the disk very often at all for most applications.  Multi-user databases
seem like the most troublesome applications in this respect.  For almost
everything else, just cache the entire file in RAM after doing a sequential
(front-to-back) transfer into memory.  Not too many seeks in that kind of
operation, at least until the disk becomes fragmented.

On thge other hand, page fault handling seems destined to be slow, unless the
head spends all its idle time in the page swapping area automatically.

I think the optical disk drive speed is probably quite liveable, especially
with every compute-bound task screaming away on the 25MHz 68030!

As pointed out, what's missing has been discussion of the external interfaces.
How many serial ports?  Any parallel ports?  Serial ports capable of LocalTalk
(nee Appletalk)?  Built-in Ethernet interface like the Suns it's being compared
to?  Everyone says it has NFS, but that's a higher protocol level than I'm
concerned about.  How well does it interface to the outside?
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"In any religion or form of worship, followers should be allowed to think

jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (10/15/88)

In article <5632@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>It seems to me that with 8 Megs standard main memory, [...]
>just cache the entire file in RAM [...]

It is important to note that Mach does this automatically.  The Mach
group claims a significant reduction in I/O operations over 4.3 BSD
when "compiling a subset of programs in /bin"

>On thge other hand, page fault handling seems destined to be slow, unless the
>head spends all its idle time in the page swapping area automatically.

Mach doesn't have a designated swapping area like Unix does.  It just
swaps directly to the user filesystem (taking blocks away only when
needed).  An interesting question is what strategy it uses to select
blocks (i.e. layout) for this purpose.

Anyway, as others have already pointed out, it probably isn't going to
page much with 8MB standard memory.

Jeff Siegal

yap@hammer.me.toronto.edu () (10/16/88)

>Anyway, as others have already pointed out, it probably isn't going to
>page much with 8MB standard memory.
>
>Jeff Siegal

8MB is DICK-ALL!!!  If you're going to do any extensive symbolic math with
Mathematica, you'll need all you can get.  I've run out of memory using
Macsyma on a Sun 3/180 with 24MB of usable memory (real + virtual), admittedly
the gist of the problem lies with Macsyma's inability to do garbage collection
correctly on the Sun (at least with the version of Macsyma we're using).
However, this doesn't detract from the fact that you need gobs of real plus
sloooow virtual memory to do anything useful.

I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if Mathematica worked well (<-- fast) with
less memory.

Perhaps I'm ignorant, at least I'm happy, Davin.

--
Davin Yap, Dept. of Mech. Eng., U of Toronto, Toronto, CANADA, M5S 1A4
Work: (416)978-6443 ,Email addresses in order of fastest to slowest:

In article <10284@eddie.MIT.EDU> jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) writes:
>Anyway, as others have already pointed out, it probably isn't going to
>page much with 8MB standard memory.

You forgot, it comes with GNU software.  That means it *will* page with
8MB standard memory!
--
The meek can have the Earth;    |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the rest of us have other plans.|uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (10/17/88)

In article <1988Oct16.041207.718@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>You forgot, it comes with GNU software.  That means it *will* page with
>8MB standard memory!

You forgot the ":-)".  Really.  I use GNU software all the time, on a
5 or 6MB machine, without paging (well, maybe a little, but nothing
noticeable).  GNU Emacs wants about 1MB and GCC wants 1-2MB when
compiling non-trivial code.

Also, GCC generates code that is as small or smaller than most other
compilers (although I have no idea what the Objective-C preprocessor
generates).

We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

Jeff Siegal

mvs@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG (Michael V. Stein) (10/17/88)

:
:You forgot, it comes with GNU software.  That means it *will* page with
:8MB standard memory!

What GNU software?

--
Michael V. Stein - Minnesota Educational Computing Corp. - Technical Services
{bungia,uiucdcs,umn-cs}!meccts!mvs  or  mvs@mecc.MN.ORG

In article <10288@eddie.MIT.EDU> jbs@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) writes:
>>You forgot, it comes with GNU software.  That means it *will* page with
>>8MB standard memory!
>
>You forgot the ":-)".  Really.  I use GNU software all the time, on a
>5 or 6MB machine, without paging (well, maybe a little, but nothing
>noticeable).  GNU Emacs wants about 1MB and GCC wants 1-2MB when
>compiling non-trivial code.

No, I didn't forget the ":-)".  Really.  Friends of mine who have used GCC
for production work quoted numbers an order of magnitude larger.
--
The dream *IS* alive...         |    Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
but not at NASA.                |uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (10/25/88)

In article <11432.1988Oct15.23:26:16@hammer.me.toronto.edu> yap@hammer.me.UUCP writes:
>I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if Mathematica worked well (<-- fast) with
>less memory.

Mathematica "works" on a Mac II with 2 MB RAM and _you_ can do work with 5MB.

I guess 8MB should be ok. You are eventually going to find a way to run out
of memory (probably isn't too hard), but then you'll still have plenty of
virtual memory before you run out.

|     Juri Munkki jmunkki@hut.fi  jmunkki@fingate.bitnet        I Want   Ne   |
|     Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre        My Own   XT   |