[alt.next] NeXT mail system // CMU Andrew System // "groupware" software

dorner@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (10/24/88)

In article <2463@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> mayer@hplabsz.UUCP (Niels Mayer) writes:

>the mailer has any particularly elaborate filing and searching
>capabilities. If it does, I'd love to hear about 'em.

Supposedly you can put your mail into a text indexing and retrieval system.

>And what of voice mail. How does that work? Is voice data compressed,
>uuencoded, and attached to the mail file sent across the networks?

Yes.

>I've heard rumours that there are some connections between the Andrew
>project at CMU and NeXT. In particular, that NextStep is layered ontop
>of something akin to the andrew toolkit.

NextStep is not based on Andrew.  For one thing, it uses NFS as its basic
file-sharing mechanism.  It IS based on the CMU operating system Mach.
Being only passingly familiar with Andrew, I can't comment on whether
or not they have duplicated Andrew features.
Internet: dorner@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (10/27/88)

>>I've heard rumours that there are some connections between the Andrew
>>project at CMU and NeXT. In particular, that NextStep is layered ontop
>>of something akin to the andrew toolkit.
>
>NextStep is not based on Andrew.  For one thing, it uses NFS as its basic
>file-sharing mechanism.  It IS based on the CMU operating system Mach.
>Being only passingly familiar with Andrew, I can't comment on whether
>or not they have duplicated Andrew features.

He didn't say "Andrew", he said "the Andrew toolkit".  Andrew includes a
number of components, such as the Andrew file system, the Andrew window
system server, and the Andrew window system toolkit.

NeXTStEP, being more-or-less a window system toolkit (as opposed to an
OS kernel or a file system), could well be based on the Andrew window
system toolkit, even if the NeXT machine uses NFS rather than the Andrew
file system.