[alt.next] NeXT Software Developers

robiner@ganelon.usc.edu (Steve) (10/18/88)

First of all, I've heard rumors that the blank optical disks for NeXT
will be in the $50 range.  Can anyone confirm this?

Now, given that, how will software distributers feel about marketing
stuff for a system which can only read media witha $50 fixed cost?
The only alternatives I can see are:

1) bring your own CD disk down to the store with you and they copy it on
   ( dangerous, especially if you have other valuable data on it already )

2) download it with the 9600 'modem'.
   ( time consuming and someone's still got to pay the phone bill )

3) Tar tape distribution, and hope enough people are NFS'ed to mainframes.
   ( limited to certain users, and still expensive )

=Steve=

mentat@juniper.uucp (Robert Dorsett) (10/21/88)

In article <12888@oberon.USC.EDU> robiner@ganelon.usc.edu (Steve) writes:
>First of all, I've heard rumors that the blank optical disks for NeXT
>will be in the $50 range.  Can anyone confirm this?
>
>Now, given that, how will software distributers feel about marketing
>stuff for a system which can only read media witha $50 fixed cost?
>The only alternatives I can see are:
>
>1) bring your own CD disk down to the store with you and they copy it on
>   ( dangerous, especially if you have other valuable data on it already )
>
>2) download it with the 9600 'modem'.
>   ( time consuming and someone's still got to pay the phone bill )
>
>3) Tar tape distribution, and hope enough people are NFS'ed to mainframes.
>   ( limited to certain users, and still expensive )

In other words, an expensive computer produces a small market (evidence:
less than 50,000 Sun's, 30-40,000 Mac II's).  An expensive base media pro-
duces an expensive distribution (we're probably going to see the first four-
digit applications for a relatively mainstream computer).  The expensive
distribution will result in an even smaller market.  I really can't see
developers getting all that excited about the Next (I refuse to mix case)
anytime soon.  I cannot see "stores" even stocking up on Next equipment or
software, due to the highly limited market (we'll see about as many "Next"
dealers as "Suns R Us" outlets :-)).  The base media (no floppies, remember)
will further hamper public-domain distribution, unless it's on a network or
via modem.  I see these constraints as CRIPPLING to the long-term viability of
the machine.  It'll probably serve to limit the Next market to the areas
already adequately serviced by Sun and Apollo, and is unlikely to provide
significant competition to any Apple products (i.e., administrative, student
consumer, CAI work).  The technical consumers who will buy a Next machine
in favor of a *Mac II* seem few in number (they exist, but will they be
"significant" in a market kind of senses?).

Some small or independent developers will write or test software on the
machine, but that would probably be the exception rather than the rule.

Perhaps I'm being naive, but I can't think of any particularly good reasons
to jump on the Next bandwagon.  The machine is doomed without software or an
easy method of distribution.  This is *not* the same as comparing it to other
"new releases" without software--past computers have at least provided some
convenient MEANS to propagate materials.  I can't see the machine "breaking
into" education, but can see it doing well in industry--a market which Jobs
is snubbing.

Comments?  Dissent?  Flames welcome here!

"NeXT...the machine for the elite few."

--
Robert Dorsett        {ames,utah-cs,rutgers}!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!juniper!mentat
                                                             mentat@juniper.UUCP

dorner@uxg.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (10/24/88)

In article <5701@juniper.uucp> mentat@juniper.UUCP (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>Perhaps I'm being naive, but I can't think of any particularly good reasons
>to jump on the Next bandwagon.  The machine is doomed without software or an
>easy method of distribution.  This is *not* the same as comparing it to other
>"new releases" without software--past computers have at least provided some
>convenient MEANS to propagate materials.

NeXT took a lot of heat from developers on this issue the day after the
introduction.  Jobs had three answers:

1) Site licensing.  Remember, he only expects to sell this machine to
Universities for now (see below), and he expects each University to have
more than one.  Thus, software can be distributed over the network.

2) Cripple-ware.  NeXT would like to be a clearing house for software
that runs in a limited mode, but requires a magic password to make it
work at full capacity.  NeXT would distribute a bunch of such packages
on an optical disk, and customers who actually want the package contact
the developer for the magic password.  He claims that Frame is
distributed this way now.  (Personally speaking, this one sounds a
little strange).

3) In a year, the price for the media should be down to $25.  Still
expensive, but much better.

Somebody from Wolfram said that the port of the Macintosh Mathematica
client took about a month.  So I think maybe developers WILL produce some
software for it, since it's easy (unlike Mac software, which is so hard to
write).

As for the University-only policy, I think it's part realism and part
mind-game.  The realism part is that NeXT is a startup, and is only
going to have so much capacity.  By limiting their market at the outset,
they aren't limiting the number of machines they can sell (since that's
limited to the number of machines they can make anyway).  They are just
trying to get a large piece of a smaller market, rather than a small piece
of a larger market.  Also, since they expect some help from Universities in
support, etc., it will give them time to build up their marketing and
support skills without alienating a lot of users by being unable to give
proper support.

The mind game part is that by saying ``you can't have it'' they hope to
make people think they want it.

Give them a year to get some cash and some organization, and they'll be
ready to sell to the community at large.

Internet: dorner@garcon.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

jans@tekgvs.GVS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (10/27/88)

<2) Cripple-ware.  NeXT would like to be a clearing house for software that
runs in a limited mode, but requires a magic password to make it work at full
capacity...  He claims that Frame is distributed this way now.  (Personally
speaking, this one sounds a little strange).>

No, that's how it works.  Frame uses your machine's ethernet address as a
password, along with a key, conceivably an encryption of that address.  This is
primarily for protection on a network, since all one has to do is to change
one's ethernet address to match that of the machine for which Frame is
licensed, and get the key from the original copy.  (Of course, if you share a
net with the machine you ripped off and you dup that address, the net crashes!)

Upon running, Frame conceivably obtains the ethernet address of the machine,
encrypts it, and looks in it's password file for the same address/key
association.  This is neat for production -- no factory customization of the
software is needed, and the user can put any number of address/key pairs in the
file, so that properly licensed machines can run it over a network.  Without a
valid password, you can do anything but save your work!

The down side of such a scheme (especially in a student environment) would be
the deterioration of networks, as people dup addresses in an effort to steal
software.  Ethernet addresses are *supposed* to be unique in the universe, and
any duplication increases the chance that duped addresses will someday end up
on the same net.  Fortunately, the process of changing an ethernet address is
not generally easy nor documented.

(Most of this is empirical conjecture -- I don't have any connection with
Frame, and discovered this through curiosity, not through a desire to steal a
copy of Frame.  This message should not be construed as advice for defeating
copy protection, nor as encouragement to do so, but is presented in the
interest of fostering discussion on the relative merits of such schemes.)

:::::: Software Productivity Technologies -- Experiment Manager Project ::::::
:::::: Jan Steinman N7JDB	Box 500, MS 50-383	(w)503/627-5881 ::::::
:::::: jans@tekcrl.TEK.COM	Beaverton, OR 97077	(h)503/657-7703 ::::::