[gnu.emacs.vms] DIRED for VMS....

rbr4@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Roland Roberts) (08/01/89)

I originally posted the below to gnu.emacs, but there hasn't been much
discussion.  Since there is an ongoing discussion of Dired on VMS in
some to the other newsgroups, I thought I would repost with
cross-postings.

In article <23974@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> templon@silver.bacs.indiana.edu
(jeffrey templon) writes:

>...In dired, if you ask to 'find' a directory using the 'f' command,
>it should run dired on the subdirectory if the 'f' was typed on a line
>with a subdir entry.  VMS emacs (GNU-VMS Emacs that is) just puts up a
>window with one entry, which is the name of the subdirectory file you
>tried to find.  I would be quite interested in a fix to this.

I have a fix for this problem, I actually made quite a few (minor)
changes to the VMS dired routines to allow it to recognize when a
there isn't a file on the current line (sometimes a listing gets split
into to lines, e.g. when the filename is longer than the field width
specified in dired-directory-command).

I'm running GNU Emacs 18.54.1 under VAX/VMS 5.1-B.  If I get a dozen
or so requests for this code, I'll post it, otherwise I'll just mail
it to the interested parties.

roland
--
Roland Roberts                      BITNET: roberts@uornsrl
  Nuclear Structure Research Lab  INTERNET: rbr4@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

magill@operations.upenn.edu (PENNnet Oper/Planning) (08/09/89)

In article <2612@ur-cc.UUCP> rbr4@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Roland Roberts) writes:

   I'm running GNU Emacs 18.54.1 under VAX/VMS 5.1-B.  If I get a dozen
   or so requests for this code, I'll post it, otherwise I'll just mail
   it to the interested parties.

I'm definately interested in the fix. We will be upgrading our VMS systems
to 5.x starting in about 2 weeks.

Do you happen to have the 5.x version available as an FTP'able saveset?
I believe Utah only has the 4.7 version. It would save a lot of work.

--
William H. Magill 			 Manager, PENNnet Operations Planning
Data Communications and Computing Services (DCCS)  University of Pennsylvania