[gnu.emacs.vms] running GNU emacs along with a SET HOST

ray@rogue.llnl.gov (Ray, Scott) (01/23/90)

I'm having some difficulty running GNU emacs (version 18.41) in
conjunction with the VMS (version 5.0 ?) SET HOST command.

Here's the details:
  1. I have a Vaxstation 2000.  emacs works well when I run it this machine.
  2. I frequently do a SET HOST to another Vax from my workstation and
     fire up emacs on the other Vax.  This is when the problem occurs.
  3. The problem does not occur if I log in directly to the other Vax from
     a standard terminal (no SET HOST involved).
Here's the symptoms:
  1. I'm merrily working along and I do an ESC-X to get to the extended
     command set.  Then I change my mind or mistype the command line and
     hit a ^G to abort and go back to what I was doing.
  2. The terminal beeps but the cursor stays frozen on the extended command
     line until I type another command.
  3. From here on out, the display and my keyboard commands are out of
     sync.  I type a command (say ^F) and a previous command takes action.
     I type another command (say ^B) and the ^F takes action.  Sometimes
     it seems to be one command out of sync and sometimes more.  Needless
     to say this is very annoying.  The only way out of this mess is to
     hit ^X^C repeatedly until emacs finally decides to exit.
  4. The incantation described in 1. above that creates this mess does not
     do the job every time.  Sometimes things work fine and sometimes they
     muck up.  Statistically, things muck up about 1/3 of the time.
  5. Upon exiting emacs when it is in this state, things generally are
     fine.  The result of the SHOW TERM command is the same as that
     obtained before the problem.
  6. On occasion though, when emacs is exited in this mucked up state,
     VMS complains about a "termination character not seen."
     Subsequently, my interaction with DCL seems to be off by a
     carriage return or a line feed or something.

Any ideas?

					Scott Ray
                                        ray@icdc.llnl.gov

rbr4@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Roland Roberts) (01/24/90)

In article <45593@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> ray@icdc.llnl.gov writes:
>I'm having some difficulty running GNU emacs (version 18.41) in
>conjunction with the VMS (version 5.0 ?) SET HOST command.
>
>Here's the details:
>  1. I have a Vaxstation 2000.  emacs works well when I run it this machine.

You may wish to try updating emacs to a newer version.  We're running
18.55 and I haven't seen this problem in the last five minor versions.
I also often do a set host and run emacs.  I can't swear that it's due
to the version of emacs, but I do know there were some changes that
affected VMS due to at least one VAXC RTL bug.

roland
--
Roland Roberts,  University of Rochester   BITNET: roberts@uornsrl
  Nuclear Structure Research Lab         INTERNET: rbr4@uhura.cc.rochester.edu