[gnu.emacs.lisp.manual] Where can I find it?

u-eeide@ug.utah.edu (Eric Eide) (10/11/88)

I'm not sure my previous article escaped from the Univ. of Utah, so here
it comes again.

Excuse my ignorance, but where can I find the GNU Emacs Lisp Manual?
Thanks for any pointers.

Eric Eide
u-eeide@ug.utah.edu

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (10/24/88)

	I need to get the manual via mail.  Is there any mail archive
	servers that you know of, or could you mail me a copy...?

No, we don't support a mail archive server because that would unfairly
burden each mail link between a requester and our systems with the
cost of passing along the archives.  However, if you'd like to pay for
the connection yourself, we maintain an anonymous UUCP redistribution
service that includes the GNU Emacs Lisp Manual, along with all the
other GNU software.  I'll send along the GNU.how-to-get instructions
under separate cover to you.  Also, you may want to ask around Europe
because several sites there have already got a lot of the GNU stuff,
from us or from other sources.					--Bob

rbj@NAV.ICST.NBS.GOV (Root Boy Jim) (11/02/88)

? 	I need to get the manual via mail.  Is there any mail archive
? 	servers that you know of, or could you mail me a copy...?

? No, we don't support a mail archive server because that would unfairly
? burden each mail link between a requester and our systems with the
? cost of passing along the archives.  However, if you'd like to pay for
? the connection yourself, we maintain an anonymous UUCP redistribution
? service that includes the GNU Emacs Lisp Manual, along with all the
? other GNU software.  I'll send along the GNU.how-to-get instructions
? under separate cover to you.  Also, you may want to ask around Europe
? because several sites there have already got a lot of the GNU stuff,
? from us or from other sources.					--Bob

Sounds like BS to me. Why should he have to pay when you can mail it
*FOR FREE*. That's right, the internet is *already* paid for, much
like unlimited phone service, you might as well use up all you can.
And other people's mail links are there to be used. While I agree that
Europe might be a bit far off the beaten path, I have no such qualms
about routing this stuff thru uunet and whoever else might be on
the way. Mail me a copy and a path and *I* will take the karma hit
for burdening those suckers' mailers. There's one born every minute,
you know, and it is morally wrong to allow them to keep their money.

As for UUCP, we don't believe in it, and route all ours thru uunet.

	(Root Boy) Jim Cottrell	(301) 975-5688
	<rbj@nav.icst.nbs.gov> or <rbj@icst-cmr.arpa>
	Careful with that VAX Eugene!
SHHHH!!  I hear SIX TATTOOED TRUCK-DRIVERS tossing ENGINE BLOCKS
 into empty OIL DRUMS..

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (11/02/88)

(Isn't this straying a bit far from the subject of the GNU Emacs Lisp manual?)

That's right, that's who wrote it :-)

>Why should he have to pay when you can mail it *FOR FREE*. That's
>right, the internet is *already* paid for, much like unlimited phone
>service, you might as well use up all you can.

Yes, we can mail things everywhere at no direct incremental cost to
us.  But it's inconvenient for a mail-based archive server to tell
whether the entire route to a requester is via free links, or whether
parts might pass over expensive links.  Until that problem is solved
(and it's a very hard problem), we're stuck where we are.

>And other people's mail links are there to be used.

Not by me.  Normally, I am in favor of letting people make their own
decisions about everything.  But many users of mail-based archive
servers are (as they should be) unaware of the ugly details of
lower-level connectivity, and will unknowingly impose themselves upon
their neighbors.  I'm trying to be nice to those neighbors and
distribute the costs of distribution more fairly.  You want it, you
pay for it.

>...and it is morally wrong to allow them to keep their money.

Then you're welcome to set up an archive server, and try to keep your
friends as well.
-=-
Zippy sez,								--Bob
Do I have a lifestyle yet?

tower@WHEATIES.AI.MIT.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (11/16/88)

   Date: Tue, 1 Nov 88 21:32:42 EST
   From: Root Boy Jim <rbj@nav.icst.nbs.gov>
   Formerly: National Bureau of Standards
   Sub-Organization: National Computer and Telecommunications Laboratory
   Disclaimer: Opinions expressed are those of the sender
	   and do not reflect NIST policy or agreement.

bob@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu has done a good job of replying to this, but...

   Sounds like BS to me. Why should he have to pay when you can mail it
   *FOR FREE*. That's right, the internet is *already* paid for, much
   like unlimited phone service, you might as well use up all you can.

Anyone on the Internet can just use FTP to a large number of GNU
archive sites.  This is less overhead on ohio-state than running a
mail server would be.  It is also more efficient than using the mails
(though marginal additional use of the Internet is free for those on
it, the bandwidth isn't infinite, and should  be used wisely).

Moving source via mail to sites off the Internet incurs substantial
additional marginal cost per byte.  Some users pay for this directly
(e.g. those in Europe), others are taking advantage of a courtesy of
passing mail.  Ohio-state is wise in not encouraging such abuse, and
is very kind to provide freely their anonymous ftp link.

enjoy -len