    Date: Thu, 20 Apr 89 17:36:06 -0500
    From: Daniel LaLiberte <liberte@m.cs.uiuc.edu>
    To: elise@cs.wmich.edu, gnu-manual@a.cs.uiuc.edu
    Subject: elisp manual

    I have finished my editing work on the elisp manual.  It is now
    in the hands of FSF.  I havent yet heard what their plans are
    regarding the manual other than that they want print it soon.  I'll
    post more on that when I hear.

    On a.cs.uiuc.edu, in pub/gnuemacs/elisp, the version I last
    worked on (early April) is in two forms: info form and
    source.  The info form is usable with the standard info package;
    just copy the files elisp and elisp-* to your info directory and
    add an entry to the "dir" file that looks like:

    * Elisp: (elisp).       How to extend Emacs.

    The source will be unusable to you since it requires a texinfo.tex
    file that is not yet available.  But if you want to generate the
    info files, you must use the texinfmt.el that is included.

    Also in a subdirectory is the previous September 1988 version of
    the manual, in a variety of formats.

    Dan LaLiberte
    uiucdcs!liberte
    liberte@cs.uiuc.edu
    liberte%a.cs.uiuc.edu@uiucvmd.bitnet

I used to teach at OSU (linguistics), and participated in John
Gourlay's seminar on TeX-based music typesetting.  I'm trying to find
out whether, when John left for ArborTeXt or whatever they call
themselves now, he left any of the MusiCopy software online there.
I'd hope so, since much of it was produced under an OSU grant.
Despite many tries I can't reach John by email, and I don't know who,
in the original project, is still around.  Could you ask around?
My interests are purely scholarly: I'm writing a book on speech
rhythm, and need some way to include simple rhythmic notation in
my examples.  Having to start from scratch would really set me back.

I'd also be interested in knowing whatever became of the Tamil font
that some of John's students produced in Metafont.  They wrote up a
theoretical paper on it, but my interest is practical.  I'm
typesetting an Indian tribal dictionary that has definitions in Tamil
as well as English, and it would be nice to do the Tamil in Tamil
rather than in the ASCII transliteration I've got, which is all but
unreadable to Tamils.

Thanks very much for anything you can turn up.  More generally, thanks
for your tireless aid to the cause of making software public.  I hope
your department realizes how much good you are doing.

David (stampe@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu)

bob@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (04/25/89)

OK, I think we're up to date again now... I just put the new Emacs
Lisp manual in place on osu-cis and updated GNU.how-to-get.

In article <8904211034.AA12201@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> stampe@UHCCUX.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU (David Stampe) writes:
   Bob,
     Is this based on the version in Dan's announcement an hour later?

The PostScript versions on osu-cis and tut.cis.ohio-state.edu are
still based upon the earlier (Sept 1988) version of the manual.  If
you want the current manual, get the info or texinfo source files from
osu-cis.  I'll try to make new PostScript versions available shortly
after the new texinfo.tex appears.

I'll forward your questions about Dr Gourlay's work to our faculty,
and the local TeX newsgroup.  Perhaps someone there will be able to
help you out.