[net.auto] tire selection

chap@houxa.UUCP (G.CHAPPOWSKI) (03/10/86)

Does anyone know anything about retreads on steel belted radials?
I'm in the process of putting new tires on my car and I'm only
worried about the tires lasting until I purchase a new car (Sept.)

Any info on the subject is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gregg Chapkowski
houxa!chap

jin@hropus.UUCP (Bear) (03/10/86)

I don't think they retread radials and I think it would be a bad idea if
they do.  Certainly your life (not to mention passengers and other
motorists) is worth 4 new tires.  Buy bias belted if you are that poor.
--
			Jerry Natowitz
			ihnp4!houxm!hropus!jin (official)

<Oh oh here it comes.  Watch out boy, it'll chew you up! \
Oh oh here it comes.  The LINE EATER!  [Line eater]>

In article <338@hropus.UUCP>, jin@hropus.UUCP (Bear) writes:
>I don't think they retread radials and I think it would be a bad idea if
>they do.  Certainly your life (not to mention passengers and other
>motorists) is worth 4 new tires.  Buy bias belted if you are that poor.
>			Jerry Natowitz

I have used retread radial SNOW tires, but these hardly ever saw duty over
35mph.  I've generally heard not-good things about retreading radials from
the mechanical-oriented magazines (Pop. Science, Pop. Mechanics).
I had one retread radial snow go wopperjawed on me (wires sticking out of the
sides!).  (To be fair, it was over one of the infamous Firestone carcasses.)
My vote goes with Natowitz--get cheapie new radial or bias-belted tires from
K Mart, or retread bias-belted if you must, but shy away from retread radials,
they have a bad rep.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
						vax135}!ttrdc!levy

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (03/11/86)

jin@hropus.UUCP (Bear) writes:

>I don't think they retread radials and I think it would be a bad idea if
>they do.  Certainly your life (not to mention passengers and other
>motorists) is worth 4 new tires.  Buy bias belted if you are that poor.

Well, they certainly do retread radials, and they work quite well
(relatively speaking).  A company called Bandag retreads a lot of
tires, including high-performance tires.  Their retread on a Pirelli
P6 or P7 cases is still a vary good tire.  They are certainly not
unsafe --- what facts was _that_ statement based on?

However, if it's a question of a temporary replacement, _don't_ buy
bias ply tires either --- get a set of used radials from a wrecking
yard; they'll last you until the fall and cost very little.

\tom haapanen						/ watrose!tohaapanen
university of waterloo			    ..!watmath <-- watmum!tohaapanen
							\ watlion!tohaapanen
I am one in ten, a number on a list
I am one in ten, even though I don't exist
No-body knows me, though I'm always there
A statistical reminder of a world that doesn't care           (c) UB40, 1981

kemasa@sdcc12.UUCP (kemasa) (03/12/86)

In article <982@houxa.UUCP> chap@houxa.UUCP (G.CHAPPOWSKI) writes:
>Does anyone know anything about retreads on steel belted radials?
>I'm in the process of putting new tires on my car and I'm only
>worried about the tires lasting until I purchase a new car (Sept.)

	I believe that for passenger cars retreads are not legal,
I maybe wrong.  If you want to save money in buying new tires look
into change-overs; tires from a new car that were replaced because
of the dealer or owner wanting special rims, etc.  Normally they
have only the mileage from the dealer to the tire store.

				Kemasa.

Disclaimer: Everything in this universe disclaims all knowledge of
opinions expressed here, and therefore the opinions and comments
expressed here belong to something else.

rdz@ccice2.UUCP (03/19/86)

In article <338@hropus.UUCP>, jin@hropus.UUCP (Bear) writes:
> I don't think they retread radials and I think it would be a bad idea if
> they do.  Certainly your life (not to mention passengers and other
> motorists) is worth 4 new tires.  Buy bias belted if you are that poor.
> --
They most certainly do retread radials (I worked for General Tire for 2
years).  There are several processes used, which I won't describe here.
If it's a good job, a retread radial will PROBABLY be a better tire than
a cheap bias belt.  I personnaly wouldn't buy them for long term (2+ years)
use.

daver@felix.UUCP (Dave Richards) (03/26/86)

In article <545@sdcc12.UUCP> kemasa@sdcc12.UUCP (kemasa) writes:
>In article <982@houxa.UUCP> chap@houxa.UUCP (G.CHAPPOWSKI) writes:
>>Does anyone know anything about retread 1Gn steel belted radials?
>>I'm in the proces 1Gf putting new tires on my car and I'm only
>>worried about the tires lasting until I purchase a new car (Sept.)
>
>	I believe that for passenger cars retreads are not legal,
        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I maybe wrong.  If you want to save money in buying new tires look
>into change-overs; tires from a new car that were replaced because
>of the dealer or owner wanting special rims, etc.  Normally they
>have only the mileage from the dealer to the tire store.
>
>				Kemasa.

That's not true.  Not around here anyway.  I just bought a set of retread
(really reCAPS) a couple of months ago.  I have a light car (VW), and get
excellent wear with them.  This is about the third set I've gotten, and I
have yet to have any problems with delaminating, etc.  Of course, I watch
my air pressure fairly closely.  That's what will "do in" a recap.
Most places give a guarantee on recaps, though not quite as much as new
tires.  I think they're worthwhile.

A "retread" is where new grooves are cut into the existing rubber.  I think
this has only been done on massive truck tires and the like, and  I don't
know if it's done at all any more.  (also called "regrooving")
Most tires are too thin nowaday .  When the tread's gone there ain't nothin'
left.

This causes a lot of confusion, because sometimes even recap dealers will
call them retreads.

Dave "Michelin" Richards