[net.auto] Intermittent wiper blades

wargo@sdics.UUCP (Dave Wargo) (03/10/86)

Does any one know of an add-on device that would allow me to have
intermittent wipers?

Thanks

Dave

--
Dave Wargo
ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdics:wargo

Now the world has gone to bed,
Darkness won't engulf my head,
I can see by infrared,
How I hate the night.

Now I lay me down to sleep,
Try to count electric sheep,
Sweet dream wishes you can keep,
How I hate the night.

	-Marvin

daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (Douglas A. Williams) (03/13/86)

	Yeah, I have an old pair of blades that only worked
intermittently. You can have them if you want 8-)

	Seriously, units are available to make the conversion.
Something like $19.95. Look around and you should find one
easily.

                1
              1   1
	    1   2   1			Doug Williams
	  1   3   3   1			AT&T Bell Labs
	1   4   6   4   1 		Reading, PA
      1   5   10  10   5   1		mhuxl!daw1
    1   6  15   20   15  6   1

paulb@ttidcc.UUCP (Paul Blumstein) (03/13/86)

In article <151@sdics.UUCP> wargo@sdics.UUCP (Dave Wargo) writes:
>Does any one know of an add-on device that would allow me to have
>intermittent wipers?

Yes, I've seen them in auto parts stores.  As a matter of fact, my wife
once bought one for me to install for her.  Unfortunately, her Hornet
had vacuum wipers, not electric!  I don't know how hard it would be to
install, but I guess it depends on how hard it is to get to your
wiper wires.
--
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Paul Blumstein                  |

struve@calma.UUCP (Dimetry Struve) (03/20/86)

I have been following the postings on windshield wipers with interest. I
wonder if I'm the only person on the net who uses Rain-X. Since I began
using this stuff about 6 years ago, I don't think I've ever bought wiper
blades. It comes in a yellow squeeze bottle, costs about $ 4.00, and is
available at most auto supply stores. Follow the instructions and apply
it to your windshield. Applications seem to be effective for about a
month or two - at that rate the bottle lasts approximately one year.

Aside from reducing wiper blade wear - BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE
YOUR WIPERS ANY MORE - there is an amazing improvement in visibility,
particularly at night. Spray from trucks, for example, ceases to be a
problem. With certain caveats, I would say that no one would be
disappointed if they (he, she, it ?) tried it. Despite the claims of the
manufacturer, it doesn't do much for snow. Also, the small drops that form
on your windshield now will tend to refract overhead lights in an
annoying way. Finally, using your wipers and washers for windshield
cleaning can cause more smearing - although I think this is because the
blades have still deteriorated from UV exposure over time. Anyway, if
you do a lot of night driving in the rain, try it! Usual disclaimer...

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/21/86)

>   What I can't figure out is why this part isn't
> standard.  After all, I can't imagine VW pays more than $2 for the
> relay.

A car dealer told me that new car dealers make most of their profit from
options, which would cost a small percent of what is charged for them if
they were standard equipment.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"I'm sorry, sir. According to your identification you're not even born
 yet. Come back in 500 years."

MW9@PSUVM.BITNET (03/26/86)

In article <151@sdics.UUCP>, wargo@sdics.UUCP (Dave Wargo) says:

>Does any one know of an add-on device that would allow me to have
>intermittent wipers?

Unless you like scrounging junk yards, PEP BOYS (automotive supply
stores in general, I'm sure too) carry a little device you insert
in the wiring of your wiper switch.  Very simple.  Very cheap.
-------

"I always lie ... and I'm always right."
                     -J.R. "Bob" Dobbs, The Church of the SubGenius

Michael S. Weiss
The Pennsylvania State University
MW9@PSUVM.BITNET

<* The opinions expressed by me do not reflect those held  *>
<* by my school nor those of my employer.  (If I had one.) *>